Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Surely We're a Primitive Cyberpunk Civilization!

cyberpunk science fiction 2013 2015 2017 The Future™ dystopia

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

If fashions like these catch on, we will be full-on cyberpunk.

http://www.nytimes.c...ef=opinion&_r=0

Fashion made to thwart surveillance? Super awesome.

EDIT: more images and information:

http://cvdazzle.com/

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

How will fashion changes fool AI surveillance systems when it can simply, through advanced means, analyze your exhaled air filled with bits of your cells and DNA?  What if it is advanced enough to analyze the 4-dimensional quantum perturbations of space-time where your brain is located and pinpoint the very thoughts that betray who you are and what your intentions are? What if it already had implanted an infinitesimally small tracking nano-chip of a nature that is indistinguishable from a molecule inside your cells?

It's all a folly! So hopeless... they have you outsmarted, outmaneuvered and decidedly outlived your shelf life.

To have any hope, one must swallow his pride and grudgingly beg for help from a long-time maligned group - hackers of a certain specialty.

OR

We migrate to other planets where they are more friendly about liberty and freedom.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I'd say we are there.

Internet piracy, bit coin and the silk road/ pirate bay or their replacements.

Protestsers labeled as terrorists, actual terrorists striking anywhere.

Maker spaces and hackerspaces springing up around the world.

Corporations like Haliburton and GoldmanSachs  owning whole swaths of government and swaying the political agendas and laws. And companies like Nestle with their people shouldn't have the right to water crap they pulled lately.

The ecosphere wounded deeply and yet companies and governments helping each other devise means of strip mining areas and frack for more energy sources despite the health and environment risks.

Kids mixing and remixing content getting in increasing trouble with grossly bloated copyright code and attempts to implement sopa style legislation. E cigarettes are now a thing and I'd bet there are other drug deliver systems out there enabled by tech.

Face it we are just a few biohackers and body modders away. The fashions may be different and the music and little details may be off but then hollywood and novels are known for showing other cultures in stretched out and odd ways. No native american culture isn't like in the books you read. And the Wiccan comunity is nothing like you see on TV.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that cyberpunk fiction almost never focuses on the person whose job it is to stock shelves at the grocery store. Those sorts of ordinary everyday people had to exist in much larger numbers than the protagonist types. Just ordinary people with smart phones and internet TV working simple jobs. But the stories always cover the rebel and the undergrounders who weren't satisfied with the world as it was and confront something bigger than their selves.

It's how stories are told. We are not in a cyber punk movie/book. We are in an early cyberpunk Setting though. Which part of the setting is really dependent on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Because it's out there, it's all under the surface, waiting.

• zEVerzan, Casey, Yuli Ban and 1 other like this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Don't care whatcha say, I think we're there in spades

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

La Bodysnatcher

La Bodysnatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

I think we're post cyberpunk

I'd say we are there.

Internet piracy, bit coin and the silk road/ pirate bay or their replacements.

Protestsers labeled as terrorists, actual terrorists striking anywhere.

Maker spaces and hackerspaces springing up around the world.

Corporations like Haliburton and GoldmanSachs  owning whole swaths of government and swaying the political agendas and laws. And companies like Nestle with their people shouldn't have the right to water crap they pulled lately.

The ecosphere wounded deeply and yet companies and governments helping each other devise means of strip mining areas and frack for more energy sources despite the health and environment risks.

Kids mixing and remixing content getting in increasing trouble with grossly bloated copyright code and attempts to implement sopa style legislation. E cigarettes are now a thing and I'd bet there are other drug deliver systems out there enabled by tech.

Face it we are just a few biohackers and body modders away. The fashions may be different and the music and little details may be off but then hollywood and novels are known for showing other cultures in stretched out and odd ways. No native american culture isn't like in the books you read. And the Wiccan comunity is nothing like you see on TV.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that cyberpunk fiction almost never focuses on the person whose job it is to stock shelves at the grocery store. Those sorts of ordinary everyday people had to exist in much larger numbers than the protagonist types. Just ordinary people with smart phones and internet TV working simple jobs. But the stories always cover the rebel and the undergrounders who weren't satisfied with the world as it was and confront something bigger than their selves.

It's how stories are told. We are not in a cyber punk movie/book. We are in an early cyberpunk Setting though. Which part of the setting is really dependent on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Because it's out there, it's all under the surface, waiting.

This is why I think we're post cyberpunk

When you say "this is overrated" do you mean "I think this sucks?"

When you say "the majority hate it" do you mean "I hate it?"

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,625 posts

In 20 years, I can see this. Google and the NSA can be our antagonistic hypercorporations and government entities. I'll be the handsome, antiheroic hacker antihero who sacrifices himself to place the logic bomb inside the corporation's mainframe and crash the system.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,625 posts

http://cyberpunkforu....php?f=7&t=2073

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

People everywhere don't trust the government. Even government employees don't trust the government.

Some people are also distrustful of corporations, but some people think they are trustworthy, and so are firmly under the corporations' thumbs.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

People everywhere don't trust the government. Even government employees don't trust the government.

Some people are also distrustful of corporations, but some people think they are trustworthy, and so are firmly under the corporations' thumbs.

Even the government itself also doesn't trust the people. :)

Why else would it create NSA in the first place? :)

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,625 posts
Some people in the NSA don't trust the gubment or the people. One's run by Marxist Jews, the other by Christian rednecks. So you can imagine the internal conflict...

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Some people in the NSA don't trust the gubment or the people. One's run by Marxist Jews, the other by Christian rednecks. So you can imagine the internal conflict...

Marxist Jews answer to one faction within the Illuminati whereas the Christian rednecks for another faction. A Conspiracy Cold War.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,625 posts
Yeah no, we're living it.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,625 posts

Yep. Cyberpunk.

High tech, low life. Drone wielding Yakuza is as cyberpunk as you can get without making these cyberkinetic drones and digital drugs.

BfMTlQM.png

• illykitty and Erowind like this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

The font used in the comic makes the C's look like brackets.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/bE_UDATn42E

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,987 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

it just takes one ballsy street hacker to start poaching drug delivery drones, and reselling the drugs while chop shopping the drones.

• Erowind likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Spacekitty

Spacekitty

Dusk Cypher - Instigator of Transcendence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationHuman Shell Unit Version 1.0

Meanwhile the Tpp is being passed into law everywhere as we speak against the will of the people giving corporations the right to sue governments over anything that affects their profits. and at this point the government is just a puppet. im beginning to start using tor just so that my browsing stays private and I can learn to code in peace. and you can get vpns too... for a price. Either way, corruption and sovereignty

threatening trade deals have turned us into cyberpunk. no other way to look a it. Noone in Australia likes the government and noone realises theres more than the 2 corrupt parties that always get opposition and government. Everyone hates the richies who pay NO tax whatsoever. And the people are fed up with it. A more vocal response is happening in New Zealand and I dont know what else is happening in the rest of the world but  they certainly aint happy with basic needs like medicine going up and no internet privacy whatsoever. either way its  shitty crappy situation with a few fatcats eating all the food ofthe many scraapcats who actually work for their meal.

Rant over. Summary, theres no doubt about it, were in cyberpunk turf.

I will instigate the singularity!

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,987 posts

Post cyberpunk is a term usually intended as the time that comes after the rancid dystopia. It comes back around to techno-optimism and progress, while passing through same tech capabilities as the cyberpunk, on the way to a brighter future with good guys and hope.
 So I don't exactly see how you can construe anything like what we have as Post-cyberpunk.

But I will also say I hate the term in general. It's an attempt at meaningless distinction where there really isn't any distinct departure point. They both are large condensed population centers filled with people living in enclaves designed for and with consumerism and standarized lifestyles in mind. People with access to more digital goods, information, and virtual capability than at any time in the last two decades of the 1900s. Livelihoods are made and destroyed daily through the internet and companies have citizens rather than just people who they pay to come do work for a little while each week.

The biggest difference is whether the people in your story are headed toward a brighter day, or circling the drain. That's all relative. you can use the same setting and have the optimistic future and sense of wonder... just don't look thirty stories down at the people circling the drain because the systems in place to grant you that course fail more people than they save. To them down there, it's just a cyberpunk world.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,625 posts

Post cyberpunk is a term usually intended as the time that comes after the rancid dystopia. It comes back around to techno-optimism and progress, while passing through same tech capabilities as the cyberpunk, on the way to a brighter future with good guys and hope.

Actually, you're thinking of cyberprep.

Post-cyberpunk is "high tech, real life". One could say it's another way of looking at the dystopia, or that it's what would realistically happen in a world with all these technologies. It's just a fact of life that some places are more dystopian in nature than others. Like a lot of India. Imagine being near a high Indian city, but you're a dalit and forced to live in the sewers. Think of Dubai. It's a city that gets high off futuristic realism, and yet it still has a dedicated underclass.

Nevertheless, for a lot of us, we just go about our daily lives adoring the aesthetic and pointing out when real life looks like something from a cyberpunk novel.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,987 posts

Actually, you're thinking of cyberprep.

Post-cyberpunk is "high tech, real life". One could say it's another way of looking at the dystopia, or that it's what would realistically happen in a world with all these technologies. It's just a fact of life that some places are more dystopian in nature than others. Like a lot of India. Imagine being near a high Indian city, but you're a dalit and forced to live in the sewers. Think of Dubai. It's a city that gets high off futuristic realism, and yet it still has a dedicated underclass.

Nevertheless, for a lot of us, we just go about our daily lives adoring the aesthetic and pointing out when real life looks like something from a cyberpunk novel.

nope, look up post cyberpunk on TV tropes or on wikipedia

wikipedia

In this view, typical postcyberpunk stories continue the focus on social implications within a post-third industrial-era society, such as a ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information and cybernetic augmentation of the human body, but not necessarily with the assumption of dystopia. It is rather characteristic for postcyberpunk to portray an utopia or to blend elements of both extremes into a more mature (to cyberpunk) societal vision.

although it the goes on to claim ghost in the shell: sac, and Diamond age as post cyberpunk. before qualifying it with Like all categories discerned within science fiction, the boundaries of postcyberpunk are likely to be fluid or ill defined. Both those works are, in my mind, cyberpunk stories. Yes Diamond age rubs elbows with Ribofunk and nanotech (it even throws steampunk in the mix), but at it's heart it still holds much of the cyberpunk core identity.

But I still maintain it's a needless attempt at division to call them seperate things in general. If the society is built around cyberspace, cybernetics, digital goods, and information being central to power... distopia and utopia are relative terms based on how close to the controls of society you are and how much control you have over your own fate. Using this artificial divide two people in the midst of a conversation could be in seperate sides of this, one firmly in the cyberpunk and the other in the post-cyberpunk. Where as I would argue that the world is happening on common ground in a world I would define as some type of cyberpunk.

Basically if it's narrative is founded in the clash between social and cyber-technological implications in the nearterm future it's a good contender for being a cyberpunk story.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,625 posts

Assassin of Korean dictator's brother wore LOL shirt

One of the two women suspected of assassinating Kim Jong-un's brother wore a shirt with "LOL" written on it.

CCTV images released by Malaysian authorities show the suspects lurking in Kuala Lumpur airport; reports variously have them using needles or a spray to poison Kim Jong-nam, who died en-route to hospital.

LOL.png
This is about as sardonic as your average cyberpunk novel. It's beautifully surreal. If there was any doubt before...

• Maximus likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cyberpunk, science fiction, 2013, 2015, 2017, The Future™, dystopia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users