Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is wrong with divorcing reality?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

I'm going to delve into this post. This was my first argument I think and I'm going to see whose side I'm on. This is going to be embarrassing but it will help me see how I've changed being on this website. 

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

So the virtual world is just 1s and 0s? Well what is the real world if not a bunch of protons, neutrons and electrons? The virtual world is made and exists in the real world, so it is by definition a part of the real world.Things you do on it, effect other people in real ways. Even if you just sit in a room and stare at a blank wall, you are effecting the world around you by moving air molecules around as you breathe, and moving things in your brain to think. Also what is to stop me from living in a virtual reality world my entire life, while sending information out to others to control the world? For example, if I have a bunch of robots under my command and I draw and design a space ship while in a virtual reality world then send them my blue prints and they build it, then I have just built a real life space ship without ever having left the virtual world. I can then have them pick up my body and carry me into the space ship and fly to another planet. In that example you just flew to another planet without ever leaving virtual reality. How isn't that real?

My whole point was that VR was stimulating your mind. I didn't say it wasn't real, just a bunch of 0s and 1s, like your computer. Those 0s and 1s are made by transistors. Every thing is real, Virtual Reality is real, its all in this universe physically.

I really should've said, 

"It's a bunch of neutrons, protons, electrons, up quarks, down quarks, strange quarks, charm quarks, top quarks, bottom quarks, photons, muons, neutrinos, energy, first laws of motion, second laws of motion, third laws of motion, time, gravity, taus, Z boson, W boson, gluons, the newly discovered higgs boson, antimatter (negative protons, and positive electrons),  and many many many many more"

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
Hmm with VR there is concern that people could spend all time there and neglect the real world but really who cares? By the time we get FIVR everyone will be doing it.

Let's face it the real world sucks.By real world I mean the natural world. Anyone who doesn't think that's true can try and volunteer for the show "Naked and Afraid"!!

For all of our history we have sought to make reality better and more hospitable for humans. VR takes that to ridiculous extremes. Nowadays it is necessary to spend time in the real world to improve yourself e.g. learning a language. In the future you could just download the knowledge to your brain. I doubt the real world will be able to captivate many people

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

KomissarBojantchev

KomissarBojantchev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Then why cant we actually improve the real world rather than escaping it? The real world will always be the basis of our existence(be it either our plugged in body or data device holding our consciousness) neglecting it could destroy us.

And no the uberAI god watching over us while our entire species is in VR isn't a gaurantee of survival, besides I'd like to be in control over my own destiny, not some higher power.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

http://michigandaily...virtual-reality

Quite an interesting article, quite a bit of scaremongering. Some truth to it though..

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

kre8noys

kre8noys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in time.

Well i guess its all a matter of perception. I can't see anything wrong with spending a lifetime in vr. But for someone like me for example a like fresh air even if it will be greatly simulated  i still know its not really true, merely a simulation, the same thing with sex, hanging out, getting drunk ect...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users