Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tomb found at Stonehenge quarry site

Tomb Stonehenge

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland, The Celtic Federation, 15th September, 2245 C.E.

The remains of the original builders of Stonehenge could have been unearthed by an excavation at a site in Wales.

Posted Image

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14733535

Can't believe that they would find a tomb after these many years.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
I think Stonehenge might have been used as a burial site, and a space observatory. It would make sense that the builders of Stonehenge were buried there. However, it's still a mystery as to how ancient people lifted those stones!!!! And why they would make such a complex structure out of them!
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
wouldn't be a very efficient space observatory. They would get the same view from pretty much any hill in the country. I guess its a nice ceremonial place though. As for the stones being lifted I wouldn't say its a particular interesting mystery. There are several ways we know of that they could've done it. We don't know hte exact method and technique used but does it matter? It's like saying it's a mystery how a person 2000 years cut down a tree, because we don't know if he used an iron axe or a stone axe..

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
There are celestial events that happen on certain days at Stonehenge it was probably a sky observatory strategically placed because of these observations and the ancients might have wanted to preserve those or w/e. It matters a lot how they were able to lift the stones. We couldn't build a Stonehenge with today's cranes. Those stones weigh some more than 50 tons!!! You can't say it's much of a mystery how they were able to drag these stones (from miles away) and lift them up. I wonder how and why they did this.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
we couldn't build stone henge with todays cranes? what? of course we could

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
Well, we would have...difficulty and there are much better materials out there to build a cemetery or observatory. The question still remains, how did these ancient people build Stonehenge with NO cranes??? How could ropes and pulley system lift 50 ton stones?

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
They are building a building on top of a lake at my college and are lifting hundreds of huge pylons sky high. I am pretty sure cranes could do it.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Give me 1500 years, lot's of devoted slaves and I'll build you Stongehenge :) And I'm quite serious, as numerous techniques were recreated in modern times with weak, sloppy present men, you know - ones with their own lifes, internet, and cheap beer, not stone-age badasses, and they worked. Of course it was incredible feat, lot's of work and incredible planning, but it's totally possible. No need for any supernatural explanations.

Heh wikipedia has estimate:

Note that the estimate of 20 million man-hours means that 10,000 men working on the site for 20 days each year, for 8 hours per day, could have completed it in 12.5 years.

20 days, 8 hours? Then?! No way. So I'd bet much less men, working 12 hours per day, for much longer time... and voila!
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
I think that this video is the most appropriate response here;

~Jon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tomb, Stonehenge

0 user(s) are reading this topic