Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you think immortality is possible?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

TheProphetOfTheFuture

TheProphetOfTheFuture

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a galaxy far, far away...

I've read a lot on the internet about the concepts of immortality, and how it can be achieved. One suggestion might be to use nanobots that constantly repair the body and thus keep it alive, but nanobots also have many drawbacks as they might cause more harm. What do you think about this topic?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,058 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

It's like AI and interstellar travel: we're not sure if it's possible as of now. Nanobots might not be a good option, since, if they actually worked as Drexler claimed, they would really screw up the Laws of Thermodynamics.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

No.  Optional death is, but not immortality.

Well, maybe?  What if we found a way to create some spirit/non-physical bodies?  Made of energy or matter that doesn't entropy?  Is that even remotely possible?

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

If you're talking about the literal representation of immortality as in "forever alive" is impossible. Time is ever existent. You're not. In terms of prolonging your life though, it's more than possible. In this time period we know what causes the disease known as "dying of old age". It's pretty simple, the Telomere (they're like the tip of shoelaces that keep things together. Except they're for dna)  just runs out and our cells stop multiplying and replacing. Than organs fail because they don't have enough cells to support the functions. If a cell continues to multiply even when it's Telomeres ran out will just cause cancer. It's that simple.  I'm just surprised that countries haven't heavily invested in this technology all ready.

star0

star0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Even in the best case, you probably won't live past a few hundred years, assuming you don't do mind-uploading. If you don't die from things like heart disease or cancer, then you will die from things like: * Falls (e.g. you fall into a sinkhole) * Lightning strikes * Drowning * Collapsed building * Fire * Crash * Suffocation from freak mazukus * Meteor strike * Murder * Software bugs * Hardware bugs * Software viruses in your transhuman tech * Freak systematic failure of the body (rare, undiagnosed conditions) * Radiation exposure * Nuclear annihilation * Runaway AI And the more complex and interconnected our world becomes, the higher the chance in any given year (e.g. from computer viruses).

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

I've always held reservations about declaring anything to be "impossible."  I'm inclined to agree with ayubel on this one:

Time is ever existent. You're not.

But still, on an extremely fundamental level, I would sooner agree with the axiom "anything is possible."  If our ultimate future is to in some way transcend this universe, as I believe (read "hope"), it seems possible that that transcendence would include transcending space and time, as we currently understand them.  This could be considered immortality.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

I've read a lot on the internet about the concepts of immortality, and how it can be achieved. One suggestion might be to use nanobots that constantly repair the body and thus keep it alive, but nanobots also have many drawbacks as they might cause more harm. What do you think about this topic?

I don't know about immortality, but IMHO, achieving indefinite lifespans will almost certainly be possible in the future.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

If you mean immortality in that you won't die of natural causes then perhaps, but if you live long enough, then the odds of you being killed go up every day.  So if I remember my algebra correctly, there should be a point where you've lived so long that the odds of you being killed are 100%.

The only thing we ever want is more

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Immortality, the ability to live forever.

Forever is a pretty long time. Immortality is impossible.

Negligible Senescence on the other hand, the lack of aging symptoms, is very much possible.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

We're all arguing semantics here.  I'm pretty sure prophet meant "no longer growing physically older," not "Highlander" immortality.

As far as what I think personally...will we be able to do so eventually?  Sure.  Will we be able to within our lifetimes?  Possibly.  Will we have access to it?  Possibly.

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

Axiom

Axiom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I just want to find and interact with other species. The thought of inevitable death is so terrifying. If our supposed "conscious minds" are possible, then I truly believe that there must be a species.. perhaps extremely far away, that experiences this "conscious thought". To die without interacting with another "extraterrestrial" species would be... (cannot put into words). ...What happens after our "conscious" dies? How can so much memory/knowledge just disappear? There must be solutions, somewhere in these Universes. 

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

[font="tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(24,24,24);"] How can so much memory/knowledge just disappear? [/font]

It can. Memory and knowledge is just ordered information, and that is something the 2nd law of thermodynamics protests the existence of. It's a sad thing, but all of someone's experiences and emotions vanish with death.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

yes but if we become immortal we will change completely at some point. it will be a continuation of us but we will be complitely different

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

We have to cure depression first.  Some people get so close to throwing it all away in a fit of impulsive and irrational decision making

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

We have to cure depression first.  Some people get so close to throwing it all away in a fit of impulsive and irrational decision making

Being clinically depressed I've got to agree with this. It's a terrible illness and it must be cured.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

[font="arial, sans-serif;"][color=rgb(127,127,127);][media] http://youtu.be/YCFKc2pwS7Y[ /media] [/color][/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"][color=rgb(127,127,127);]   [/color][/font]

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,123 posts
  • LocationLondon

It is definitely possible. Some animal species are already immortal.

https://en.wikipedia...cal_immortality

https://en.wikipedia...iving_organisms

http://www.cracked.c...y-immortal.html

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Immortal, or with an indefinite lifespan?

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

Immortality would mean that you would have an infinite life span, since the universe doesn't have an infinite life span then I guess you can't live forever.

As for living until you are killed by something at point, then yes I fully believe that will happen. First will come life extension to say around 130+ years old, then (most likely before 25 year olds today even turn 90) ageing can be stopped and reversed. Then comes transhuman tech, after that the possibilities will likely explode and you could have countless methods of living well the into upper ends of the Kardashev scale. Once we hit the singularity any kind of problem that could endanger our future lives (organic or transhuman) would be overcome as they were encountered.

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

TheProphetOfTheFuture

TheProphetOfTheFuture

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a galaxy far, far away...

Okay, to clear things up a bit, I'll have to say that maybe "immortality" can't be fully achieved, but maybe we can just extend our lifespans long enough so that we can see our great-grandchildren or maybe our great-great grandchildren, But, this will require a lot of time and effort to develop and it might not be for everyone and if it were, you'd have people who would shun it because they want to experience death. I'll be honest, I am afraid of dying, especially from something as dangerous and sad as cancer or murder, I just hope that humanity is able to achieve this within my lifetime. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users