Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you think immortality is possible?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Okay, to clear things up a bit, I'll have to say that maybe "immortality" can't be fully achieved, but maybe we can just extend our lifespans long enough so that we can see our great-grandchildren or maybe our great-great grandchildren, But, this will require a lot of time and effort to develop and it might not be for everyone and if it were, you'd have people who would shun it because they want to experience death. I'll be honest, I am afraid of dying, especially from something as dangerous and sad as cancer or murder, I just hope that humanity is able to achieve this within my lifetime.

As long as you're below 50, there is a good chance that this technology will developed in your lifetime.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Why do you say 50 Conor?  I like to be positive about it but I'm careful not to get my hopes up.

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

First will come life extension to say around 130+ years old

Will this initially only be for individuals who would otherwise still live to age 100+, though?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

As long as you're below 50, there is a good chance that this technology will developed in your lifetime.

Yes, where and how exactly did you get this specific age?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 7,292 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Well, Ray Kurzweil is above 60 and he is confident that he will become immortal under 3 decades from now.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Well, Ray Kurzweil is above 60 and he is confident that he will become immortal under 3 decades from now.

Does he care about being immortal? I always thought he was the kind of guy to accept the ending of life.

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Does he care about being immortal? I always thought he was the kind of guy to accept the ending of life.

Nope. It's kinda obvious that he's scared if you watch some of his interviews or the documentary transcendent man. He was clearly shocked by his father's death. To the point he plans to actually resurrect him. 

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

First will come life extension to say around 130+ years old

Will this initially only be for individuals who would otherwise still live to age 100+, though?

This is all hypothetical as I'm just a dreamer like most people but I'd like to think that that kind of life extension would be for everyone that is willing to pay for the treatment. I would assume that initially it would cost a fair bit for the kind of medical treatment needed to extend your life an extra 40-50 years, but within a few decades of it being possible more and more people would be able to afford it as the cost is driven down and further advancements are made.

So if you can't afford to extend your life to the maximum your doctor's can offer you, you can extend it a lesser extent until the costs are lower and then extend it further :)

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Nope. It's kinda obvious that he's scared if you watch some of his interviews or the documentary transcendent man. He was clearly shocked by his father's death. To the point he plans to actually resurrect him. 

Is his dad cryogenically preserved right now?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

This might not be that surprising, considering that by that point in time he will be around 90 years old (if he is still alive at that point in time) and probably nearing the end of his natural lifespan. ;)

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Is his dad cryogenically preserved right now?

No. Kurzweil plans to resurrect his father through the large amount of material he has collected on him.

Personally, I don't think that will work.

What difference does it make?

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
He acknowledged that it would only be an AI with his personality

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

Why do you say 50 Conor?  I like to be positive about it but I'm careful not to get my hopes up.

I just think that after 50, your odds of reaching life-extension technology diminishes a lot with every year that goes by. And also because those of us who haven't reached middle age still have a good enough chance to escape aging velocity, or whatever it's called.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Actuarial Escape Velocity.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

I just think that after 50, your odds of reaching life-extension technology diminishes a lot with every year that goes by. And also because those of us who haven't reached middle age still have a good enough chance to escape aging velocity, or whatever it's called.

Also, you can cure a lot of the illnesses and diseases you would likely die from in old age.

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

Also, you can cure a lot of the illnesses and diseases you would likely die from in old age.
Bit elderly people nowadays will likely dies before this is possible.

Guest_Northward_*

Guest_Northward_*
  • Guests

This is speculative.

Wait until nanotechnology can keep your cells in perfect shape, and then upload your mind into a computer. Most people don't realize that uploading can be done by sending nanobots into the brain that take over brain cells one by one, and then the nano-brain can be soaked into a computer substrate, just like water is soaked up by a sponge. Nothing to be afraid of, people replace brain cells all the time organically. And then, after that, wait  a very long until there is an escape from the current universe we inhabit.

Guest_Northward_*

Guest_Northward_*
  • Guests

Bit elderly people nowadays will likely dies before this is possible.

Not if they are put into cryopreservation

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Posted Image

Guest_Northward_*

Guest_Northward_*
  • Guests

I would recommend Cryonics Institute. Some life insurance policies will pay for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users