Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you think immortality is possible?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the definition of "immortality" has been (for the last couple pages of this thread at least) true, hard immortality, where you do not die, ever, for any reason, and you live for infinity, regardless of the fate of our universe.

i believe it is our destiny to transcend time and space, thus achieving this kind of immortality by kind of existing "above" this universe and all of its time.

Infinity is infinity, so even achieving immortality in this way may not guarantee reprieve from a death outside this universe.  In other words, maybe you can be "infinity-style-immortal" with respect to THIS universe, but still be finite with respect to the multiverse.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It'd be interesting to see how one can be immortal against the unrelenting, all-encompassing decay of entropy. My bet is we'll come up with an extremely clever workaround without having to escape this Universe - we can't imagine what we will do because that will be like a piece of unthinking dirt being completely indifferent to the vast, mind-boggling machinations of a planet-wide computation substrate.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

AngelXZYW

AngelXZYW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSpain
Immortality is impossible, the reason is the second law of thermodynamics.
However, If you refer live a long time (millions of years), it is possible because not violate any law of thermodynamics, but in some moment everything must die.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

However, If you refer live a long time (millions of years), it is possible because not violate any law of thermodynamics, but in some moment everything must die.

There is absolutely no reason for the second law of thermodynamics to remain what it is. It is specific to this universe but not necessarily in the next one.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

^ Agreed.  Not only that, but the second law only applies to closed systems, which you and I are not, and which our universe may not be.

AngelXZYW

AngelXZYW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSpain

^ Agreed.  Not only that, but the second law only applies to closed systems, which you and I are not, and which our universe may not be.

Okay, thank you for clarifying doubts, sorry for my ignorance.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Okay, thank you for clarifying doubts, sorry for my ignorance.

No need to apologize!  It's a fair statement -- the second law is pretty much as close as science gets to gospel, and I think we're still in the process of fully understanding the implications of its relationship with the evolution of increasing complexity we observe in our universe.

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

[color=#ee82ee;][font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"]So,we just have to create a technology that breaks this law of physics.[/color][/font]

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

[color=#ee82ee;][font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"]So,we just have to create a technology that breaks this law of physics.[/color][/font]

Um... not quite.  We have a long way to go before being challenged by the second law.  Let's stick with telomere extension for now.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

One does not simply break a law of physics.

Instead, physics breaks you.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts
  • LocationCanada

And what makes you think the masses, billions upon billions of people will have access to this technology? In any case I'm not sure the next generations would stand for us living past our allotted lifespans and crowding an already overcrowded world.

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

And what makes you think the masses, billions upon billions of people will have access to this technology? In any case I'm not sure the next generations would stand for us living past our allotted lifespans and crowding an already overcrowded world.

As technology progresses, it becomes cheaper. It's exponential. The laptop I'm using right now costed me about 3-400€, but it would've costed trilions of dollars 50 years ago. So I'm guessing that at first it will be realy expensive, but it will drop in cost over time. Also, the world is not over crowded. We're just awful at dealing with resource distribution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users