Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

would you live in a tiny house?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: would you live in a tiny house? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you live in a tiny home

1. yes (22 votes [70.97%])

Percentage of vote: 70.97%

2. no (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

3. we'll have to (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. not sure (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

5. we will have all of mars to settle, we won't need to worry about it. (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I'm a huge fan of the Tiny house movement. for me I don't imagine it would be any easier to do or needed in any way, but I still love the idea and am making plans that I will hopefully one day soon do this.

For those not aware:

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
I don't want a big house, but I do need a big bedroom and bathroom with all the creature comforts.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-
Im going to live in a big modern mansion in new Zealand if I become rich. But if I'm still stuck in the middle class, I'll live a minimalist lifestyle.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland, The Celtic Federation, 15th September, 2245 C.E.

Sad that I can't see the video but I wouldn't I like my big space so I like bigger houses.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 7,244 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I voted no.

It's more efficient to have a tiny or small condo in a skyscraper city.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

I voted no. It's more efficient to have a tiny or small condo in a skyscraper city.

I find skyscraper condos to be really non-private. You can hear someone having sex to the room across from yours but the view would be amazing.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,107 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

When I become rich, I'm going to buy a futureproofed smart home.

It's gonna have drones armed with lasers and machine guns, an AI central core unit in the basement, TV/Computer walls, a superconductor/magnetic levitation fun room, BCI and voice-activated appliances, robots doin' the chores, and a virtual reality entertainment center.

All for under 1500 square feet. If I'm going to be enjoying VR, there's no reason to have a decked out mansion after all. Quality over quantity. 

I'd prefer it if it were in a city, or even an arcology, but I'll be realistic and just say "somewhere in Tokyo or New York."

Maybe some day, I'll go Cybergreen and move me and my tech-obsessed ass back to the country. Robots, augmented reality, and cyborgs camping in the woods. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Look, I think everyone would prefer a larger house with a big backyard and plenty of room for their kids to play or for whatever other leisure activities that they want, but if you have to then you have to.  If we ever end up in a Total Recall situation where there are only two habitable spots left on Earth and we all have to live in tiny apartments crammed on top of each other then that's what you have to do.

The only thing we ever want is more

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

I'd love to live in a house like this. It's a very small house designed by an architect and it is very self sustaining meaning it collects it's own energy, heat and water from the natural environment around it.

They have a website: http://nau.coop/inde...f/LivingRoof_01

Posted Image

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Sure, I have no problem with it. Right now I basically live in my bedroom, and half my room if filled with clutter. If I had a door leading directly from my bedroom to the bathroom, and put a stove, microwave a small counter area and frig on the half of my room I don't use for clutter, I could live here. I would be pretty comfortable, that is more than enough open space for me. Making the adjustments, I would say that would be around 100 square feet, not much larger than that first house in the video. Honestly, I could probably do half that as well and I doubt it would bother me one bit.

Then I got all this open head space above me too. Could chop that and make the ceiling half as low. I don't plan on doing that at the moment, but in the right situation I could see my self doing it.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,136 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

My current bedroom is 10 feet by eighteen feet. and right now I use the bed and two end tables and that is about it. I need to cook all my food and store it as frozen ingredients or as refrigerated prepared meals for a two or three day time period. I can do that with a cubic foot of fridge space and a cubic foot of freezer space. I need a single stove burner, a microwave, an outlet for a food processor and blender, and two square feet of counter for cutting and prep. Then I use one side of the sink for washing up. I have one pot, one pan, one cup, one bowl, one fork, one spoon, two knives, a peeler, a deseeder, a grater, a metal cooking spoon, and that's pretty much what I need in the kitchen. That could all fit in a tiny space like an ironing board closet. other than that I'd need a bathroom.

Oh and net access. maybe a fold away desk with a few drawers for craft activities.

So what I'm looking to do is just get rid of most of my clutter. and tape off a section of my room 7 foot by 14 foot by 8 foot. then I need to get my stuff down to the point it fits in that space. and give it a practice run as a living arrangment. once I have that under my belt and any redesigns I'd come up with based on experience, I'd set out to make it happen for real.

Things I would also look into: alternative means of lighting and heating/cooling, water systems, waste management. I'm thinking that rain water catching and solar distillation  could be made to more than meet my drinking water needs during summer at least. food scraps could go through a worm bin to make both fertalizer that some would pay for and bait for fishermen. Led Lights and the weight drop style systems used in old clocks could be used to make a small bright light that can run for an hour or more just by repositioning the weight, and I could probably make it so that every time I open the door to the outside it resets the system; just leaving and coming home each day would generate the power needed for a light at night. Heating such a tiny space in winter would be fairly easy. cooling will be the tricky one, along with black water handling.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

I already do, so I would.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

I would live in tiny home. Not as small as the OP's vid, a bit bigger, and a bunch land space and a tool shack for my engineering needs :)

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

I'm going to move into a bedsit later this year where I'll stay until I've graduated Uni...so that'll be a while, barring, of course, I go to live with someone else for which there are currently no plans. I think I am and will get used to living in a small space. So can I imagine living in a small house? Definitely. Do I want to? Not really. I've always wanted to have a small appartment somewhere in a skycraper-like building.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

I would if I had to or if money was a factor. Else, No--after all, I like my living space.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Living in a tiny home for long periods of time gets...I don't know...frustrating. Feels like you're always bumping in to something. Once you feel it with stuff you want in short order you run out of space to get anything new. It's also dull to be in the same vicinity without anything changing. All this 100x for each person you live with in the tiny home. It's okay if you're not at home all the time but you begin to dread it when you are.

nomad

nomad

The Darkness

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Bed, small 6 sq. ft table-like workspace with a seat in front of it, hot plate, microwave, outlet for charging, and a door that locks. 5x5x10 ft. storage. That's all I really need.

Cats.

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Yes, I would live in a tiny house. But I would prefer the environment of that house be my real house. That can take the form of a camp ground or a walking city. Big homes seem to make an impression on people. You think 'wow, this is really living it'. But those homes come with a price. They create loneliness. Same thing happens with boats. A family will enjoy their big yacht but they don't realize they have separated themselves from the rest of the regular folk on the dock. It's a little bit like an invisible wall. 

tw88

tw88

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Locationeugene oregon

I suffer from claustrophobia and could never live in that house. Right now I live in smallish two bedroom apartment and I have taken all the blind off all the windows  in the kitchen and living room and put plants along the all window sills and put mirrors everywhere to make the place feel bigger. I feel anxiety just seeing the video of her in that house. I will live a hunter gather life style and sleep outside in a hammock before I live in that house. 

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Im going to live in a big modern mansion in new Zealand if I become rich. But if I'm still stuck in the middle class, I'll live a minimalist lifestyle.

Why exactly in New Zealand?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users