Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Transhumanism/Posthumanism

transhumanism posthumanism transhuman posthuman metahuman cyborg human enhancement science fiction H+ human

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Thanks so much for reminding me of this thread.

I want to add by categorizing a few different ways of telepathy and the way this allows people to organize.

Meta-Human Observational Deduction - the most primitive, elementary form of telepathy but the most difficult to master. It stands to reason that meta-humans, being in total control of their bodies and minds, are capable of laser-focusing on the subtle subconscious actions of themselves and others they observe, and can deduce exact thoughts at a glance. In this way meta-humans can transmit and receive each others' thoughts, wordlessly, but only as long as there is some degree of effort being expended on observation.

Pheromones - plushumans can acquire gland implants and use them to subconsciously influence or communicate with others.

The Man What Hath A WiFi In His Skull - pretty self-explanatory - electronic machine-to-brain interface. Capable of transmitting and receiving thoughts electronically, possibly known colloquially as psionics or psytronics (psychic+electronic). The most ubiquitous form of mental communication.

Organizing a Telepathic Society

1. Eusociality - the highest order of social organization in the animal kingdom, anyway. Pop is arranged into castes which tend to the needs of a central leader or leaders, probably not breeders like other animals though because let's be real. Might have a neofeudal vibe.
  2. Total Democracy - Pop keeps their individuality but constantly votes by having their thoughts read by machines - some agent enacts changes within the society that are most pleasing to the mean.
  3. Totalitarian Control - Pop keeps no individuality and acts under the dictatorship of a central leader, possibly a machine or egomaniac transhuman of some sort. Likely goes by "Overmind".
  4. True Hivemind - Pop keeps no individuality and is under no authority - each pop is like a neuron in a vast emergent brain, which then dictates actions on an individual level, as though a billion bodies share one mind. Likely goes by "me / I".

If I'm missing something or anyone has ideas to add, please do.

• Yuli Ban likes this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Hyndal_Halcyon

Hyndal_Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Organizing a Telepathic Society

1. Eusociality - the highest order of social organization in the animal kingdom, anyway. Pop is arranged into castes which tend to the needs of a central leader or leaders, probably not breeders like other animals though because let's be real. Might have a neofeudal vibe.
  2. Total Democracy - Pop keeps their individuality but constantly votes by having their thoughts read by machines - some agent enacts changes within the society that are most pleasing to the mean.
  3. Totalitarian Control - Pop keeps no individuality and acts under the dictatorship of a central leader, possibly a machine or egomaniac transhuman of some sort. Likely goes by "Overmind".
  4. True Hivemind - Pop keeps no individuality and is under no authority - each pop is like a neuron in a vast emergent brain, which then dictates actions on an individual level, as though a billion bodies share one mind. Likely goes by "me / I".

If I'm missing something or anyone has ideas to add, please do.

This showed me how postmodern political alignments would evolve with telepathy.

What I'd like to add is a compromise between all four.

It has no name yet, but these are the propositions:

1. Whole society has castes, each caste serving another caste or set of castes, like a sociopolitical foodweb. Central/Leader caste needed strictly only for counterchecking all castes.
  2. All individuals are notified of all counterchecks done by the central/leader caste, regardless of which caste they belong to, like a mandatory telepathic broadcast. 
  3. Individual members of a caste are simply made aware and can vote whether or not to act at the interest of the caste as a whole, or maybe detach from the established caste to create their own.
  4. Members of a caste can choose to be fully united as one entity, and doing so will reduce their impact on votations. The leader caste must be farreaching, and a hiveminded house of representatives from all the other castes will do well as the leader.

This way, eusocial, democratic, hivemind, and totalitarian elements are refined to cross out each others' limits and disadvantages.

• Yuli Ban likes this

As you can see, I'm a huge nerd who'd rather write about how we can become a Type V civilization instead of study for my final exams (gotta fix that).

But to put an end to this topic, might I say that the one and only greatest future achievement of humankind is when it finally becomes posthumankind.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Why even have castes to begin with, though? To me the eusocial and totalitarian control options are abject in different ways - eusociality might only seem nice if you value strict hierarchy, and being a mind-controlled slave of a totalitarian overmind like the Zerg or something seems like a worst case possible. Not that either of those subjects would ever be allowed the intelligence or ability to complain. I'd consider these the "right-wing" options at least as an analogue to current politics where strong leadership and hierarchy are justified.

Total democracy might be nice but it also seems like it could be slow, only advancing at the rate of cultural drift, and potentially very stupid too. And even while you retain your sense of self, you have literally no privacy.

imo a True Hivemind is the most interesting. Not only would its emergent intelligence be a cut far above the rest but I think it would be a very interesting experience to feel a part of something so much larger than yourself. What's it feel like to be a planetary consciousness?

• Erowind and Hyndal_Halcyon like this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Hyndal_Halcyon

Hyndal_Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Yes, progress will be stupid, but why wouldn't it be? Any civilization is just as intelligent as its leader, and the rate at which they can implement their visions, dictates the growth and evolution of that civilization. Could be slow or steady or disruptive, depending how the people willingly cooperates. And yes, privacy will be a step backwards. 

But what if we built a hive-minded entity, made from uploads of our own minds, and distribute the neurons of its brain across our own brains? It would be like having two versions of everybody, with the primary version being you, and the secondary version being what you might want to be, telling you how you can become it. Why not let our insights, ideas, memories, emotions, everything we think we are, be etched forever within the fabric of the universe, and let the entity holding them have control over the fabric of the universe itself?

If you're simply afraid of the scale of its power and knowledge over us, then give that entity no sense of agency. Let it simply be a counter-biasing algorithm, a subroutine in our minds suggesting activities, news, products, people, events we might like. Not unlike the tailor-made advertising that we enjoy today in exchange of trusting our providers with our personal data and utmost discretion.

At that point, what more could you ask for? That hive-mind is our hive-mind, connected to the rest of the society but separate from ourselves. Even the degree of separation can be decided by you. You can join the hive-mind and be of full-service to the community after you got tired and bored of having whatever you want fulfilled almost immediately. You can even oppose it, grow and be a god yourself, actively deny the new gods' every suggestion if you think you can think and do better.

But being a god should have levels, or else such a society will be just as unsustainable as any. Every god can be inspired by those above it while mentoring those beneath it such that smooth succession of power becomes an innate trait of the society. Simply put, I think I've built a perfect world for posthumans, where digital Gods exist, and you can join them, or make them join you.

It's the freest world I can imagine, where the only thing that separates gods and mortals alike, is choice.

As you can see, I'm a huge nerd who'd rather write about how we can become a Type V civilization instead of study for my final exams (gotta fix that).

But to put an end to this topic, might I say that the one and only greatest future achievement of humankind is when it finally becomes posthumankind.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,705 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

From Babylon Today:

Augmentation

Genetic engineering is one thing, but biology has its limits. However, cybernetics aren't genetic traits— a Sapiens with advanced robotic arms, legs, and organs who can still procreate will spawn a purely biological Sapiens— so naturally cybernetic humans and animals aren't given special taxonomic categories. That doesn't mean there aren't categories for the augmented.

Physical Augmentations: These are augments and prosthesis that do not affect the brain. 

Performance-enhancing drugs: These are chemical drugs that enhance your physical/athletic capabilities beyond your normal means. There are plenty of types, ranging from anabolic steroids, painkillers, and stimulants all the way to amphetamines and gene-doping. Since these are chemical in nature, there are clear limits compare to the bionics mentioned below and they often come with unintended side effects, but they are still augmentations over the human norm.

Prosthesis: These are cybernetic and non-cybernetic limbs and organs that merely replace one that has been lost.  Generally, the purpose is to bring the affected person back to a normal standard of living instead of enhancing them beyond human limits. They may or may not use neural signals to work. Examples include prosthetic arms, legs, hands, iron lungs, prosthetic hearts, peglegs, and hooks.

Assistance technology: These are tools made to help an affected person live and work in a standard environment. Unlike prostheses, these are either worn or used rather than attached to the body at all or most times. They may allow a person to do things not considered "natural" but that's more due to the design of these tools rather than any explicit augmentative property. Examples include wheelchairs, walking sticks, and exoskeletons.

Bionic augmentations: These are limbs and organs that enhance existing body parts, perhaps even replacing them entirely. For example, a cybernetic hand augmentation is meant to give a person more abilities than a person with a natural hand. This is the primary difference between bionics and prostheses: prostheses give back; bionics give more. Examples include octo-arms, superhuman limbs, respirocytes, smart organs, smart skin, solar skin, and bionic eyes.

Mental augmentations: These are augments that do affect the brain directly and, thus, have the most effects. 

Nootropics: These are chemical drugs designed to alter brain chemistry to enhance mental abilities. They are a type of performance-enhancing drug.

Mental prosthesis: These are chips, electrodes, and stem cell organelles that replace defective brain matter. If you have depression or schizophrenia and you want to be cured, you can get a mental prosthesis to directly alter brain structure. Same deal if you want to restore memories, feel affects, or undo the effects of drug addiction. To an extent, they can act as an enhancement— for example, clearing up mental fog and supercharging the brain to allow you to notice and react to things much more quickly. However, they do not make you superhuman.

Mental augmentations: These are bionic augments that give your brain new abilities and/or super-enhance existing ones. Exocortexes are a kind of mental augmentation. The most notable is that of intelligence amplification. Of course, some mental augmentations are useless without corresponding physical augmentations, and vice versa. An example of a mental augmentation is that of "telesapience", which is where one is able to essentially telepresence to a new robotic body that their mind will also consider their own. Another, earlier example is cyberkinesis, which is where an augmented person can control digital devices with their mind alone. 
Sufficiently augmented humans eventually joined an entirely new type of life and became Hyperpithecus cosmicus. Most humans are not at that level, however, remaining at either a transhuman or minimally augmented level (minimally augmented = what we are today, with our glasses, wheelchairs, and headphones).

There is also the existence of Mental Uplifting, though it's considered unethical and isn't practiced in the mainstream. Mental uplifting involves giving mental augmentations to non-human animals to bring them up to a human or superhuman level of intelligence. Since their bodies have different limbs for different functions, they possess a "different" kind of superintelligence compared to ours. Often, they find it too frustrating to exist since their bodies have fewer ways to express said intelligence (especially common in animals without tool-gripping limbs and the capacity for speech) and thus become suicidal.

Genetic superhumans are typically at a disadvantage compared to cybernetic superhumans, but every organism can become cybernetic. Bionics are the "great equalizer".

The different tiers: 

Cyborg: Physically bionically-augmented humans that do not have an extensive number of mental augmentations.

Metahuman: Mentally bionically-augmented humans that do not have an extensive number of physical augmentations.

Transhuman: Any human bionically-enhanced with a physical or mental augment that is preferable to a biological limb or organ, typically with extensive physical and mental augmentations. However, they are not completely post-biological.

Parahuman: Not to be confused with Paranthropus, parahumans are humans that eschew the human form in lieu of other creatures or entirely original forms. This is usually accomplished through telepresence, but there are a few genetic variants.

Posthuman: The realm of Hyperpithecus cosmicus, posthumans are defined as humans who are so totally augmented on a cybernetic level that they are completely post-biological.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Why even have castes to begin with, though? To me the eusocial and totalitarian control options are abject in different ways - eusociality might only seem nice if you value strict hierarchy, and being a mind-controlled slave of a totalitarian overmind like the Zerg or something seems like a worst case possible. Not that either of those subjects would ever be allowed the intelligence or ability to complain. I'd consider these the "right-wing" options at least as an analogue to current politics where strong leadership and hierarchy are justified.

Total democracy might be nice but it also seems like it could be slow, only advancing at the rate of cultural drift, and potentially very stupid too. And even while you retain your sense of self, you have literally no privacy.

imo a True Hivemind is the most interesting. Not only would its emergent intelligence be a cut far above the rest but I think it would be a very interesting experience to feel a part of something so much larger than yourself. What's it feel like to be a planetary consciousness?

I'd be down for a hive mind assuming I could jack in and out of it at will if i'd even want to. Maybe there should be a forced shut off period built into the system to ensure breaks and individual intelligence. That might not be needed in the long term but as a transition for folks like ourselves, assuming we live that long. One of my favorite sci-fi species are the Geth from Mass Effect. They're anarchists and use consensus for all decision making. Geth communicate at the speed of light making such a form of governance viable for them. They have thousands of years to debate and decide every decision. Although the Geth really aren't a hive mind. They're just a mass collective of distinct individuals that move forward based on cultural inertia and debate. Where they have time to take advantage of that inertia. In fact the Geth present a 4th potential choice it seems now that I think about it. Not at the mercy of totalitarianism, slow democratic practice or total collective control. With such individual sovereignty does come a price though. When a part of Geth society splits off, it really splits off. I don't know if that would actually be reflected in the political theory or if it was a convenient plot device for mass effect though. 

http://youtu.be/4_l0Rd2szYU?t=135

• Raklian and Yuli Ban like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,705 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

From DeimosSaturn:

Our Ultimate Corporeal Form, a posthuman starfish

QygImuw.jpg

• Erowind and Hyndal_Halcyon like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Hyndal_Halcyon

Hyndal_Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

I'd be down for a hive mind assuming I could jack in and out of it at will if i'd even want to. Maybe there should be a forced shut off period built into the system to ensure breaks and individual intelligence. That might not be needed in the long term but as a transition for folks like ourselves, assuming we live that long. One of my favorite sci-fi species are the Geth from Mass Effect. They're anarchists and use consensus for all decision making. Geth communicate at the speed of light making such a form of governance viable for them. They have thousands of years to debate and decide every decision. Although the Geth really aren't a hive mind. They're just a mass collective of distinct individuals that move forward based on cultural inertia and debate. Where they have time to take advantage of that inertia. In fact the Geth present a 4th potential choice it seems now that I think about it. Not at the mercy of totalitarianism, slow democratic practice or total collective control. With such individual sovereignty does come a price though. When a part of Geth society splits off, it really splits off. I don't know if that would actually be reflected in the political theory or if it was a convenient plot device for mass effect though. 

http://youtu.be/4_l0Rd2szYU?t=135

The Geth government really does sound like the best option, being a gestalt entity while retaining a sense of individual autonomy. The existence of the Heretics emphasizes on their sense of autonomy even more. An individual can be an autonomous platform, with hardware and software tailor-made to serve a singular purpose, Legion being the most elaborate example. It's even stated in-game that Geth consciousness emerges from systems of modular programs, and I bet we are the same, just built from different physical substrates, which I think requires different hardware-specific modules.

The Geth also have a hierarchy in a sense that different platforms are specialized for different tasks, obviously. As such, they may be a gestalt entity, but they operate in the same ways as the organics. This suggests that optimal, near-perfect forms exist. Even a hive-mind needs division of labor, hence hierarchy, hence the different levels of godhood.

• Erowind likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transhumanism, posthumanism, transhuman, posthuman, metahuman, cyborg, human enhancement, science fiction, H+, human

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users