Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I propose a points system. (like yahoo answers)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
For every post you make you get 1 point and it costs 10 points to create a topic. New members get 10 points, this would prevent spam attacks as they would only have enough points to create one topic. And everytime someone likes you're post you get 1 point.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationCanada

Don't think that is possible on this forum infrastructure. 

Not a terrible idea to address the spam problem though (if it was possible).

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I don't think it would work here. than it will become a point based forum. it is better to leave the way it is. We also have " likes" who can be used as a way of gratification. Plus already now when you receive 10 likes or more you get a start that says popular. I think I already got 2 of them. The stars look like this.

Posted Image
POPULAR

Malgidus

Malgidus

Four Lefts From Reality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCanada

It is, it's just not so trivial. It needs to be scripted. I'm of the opinion that post count is an obsolete tool for encouraging constructive commenting. I think the social media upvote/downvote philosophy is the way to go: such as reddit, etc.

My mind has been torn into Oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the Oblivion, and through Zen, tear the Universe anew.

Tradesman by day, [game] programmer by night. Philosopher all day long. @Malgidus |Forest Bear Studios

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

It is, it's just not so trivial. It needs to be scripted. I'm of the opinion that post count is an obsolete tool for encouraging constructive commenting. I think the social media upvote/downvote philosophy is the way to go: such as reddit, etc.

But what do you mean by constructive?  Will these answers always be authentic?

This may create a "contest" in which people try to give an answer that other people like to hear so that it may receive as many points as possible.

I see this dynamic happening if we implement these settings.

I think people should  be spontaneous when they give an opinion.

Also I don't know why it should cost points to ask a question. people would hesitate to ask..

and upvote and downvote modality would have negative consequences. I see people making alliances and reciprocate thumbs up and down and therefore sympathies and antipathies could develop.

I think we are  all pretty much adult and responsible, let this forum be genuine as the way it is and have discussions about the future without constraints. 

My opinion is that this system is unpractical on here.

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
I've decided to bump this thread because I still feel it's a worthwhile discussion, especially after the daily bombardment of spam.

I'm sure in five years their will be something like what i've proposed in place here.
- Alexander McQueen

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

I can probably implement a 'new members' group that any one who joins is automatically placed in until they reach X number of posts, at which point they are promoted to the normal members group and get full privileges like everyone else (the software has support for this built in). The new members group could be restricted from posting new topics, although that'd suck if they wanted to create an introduction thread. 

I'll look into something, I am getting tired of seeing spam as I am sure everyone else is. 

~Jon

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

The problem is that if you get 10 points to start then you make one post in order for you to make post #2 10 people have to like your 1 post.  I don't think anyone gets 10 likes per post consistently.  Even ItalianUFO with over 10000 posts has only 2500(?) likes.  Under your system, to make 10,000 posts he would need 100,000 likes so he would be 97,000+ likes away from contributing what he has already if your system was in place originally.  Otherwise he would only have been allowed to make 250 posts... most every frequent member here has more than 250 posts and none has as many likes as Italian.

edit:

Caiman's idea is good

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,375 posts

The problem is that if you get 10 points to start then you make one post in order for you to make post #2 10 people have to like your 1 post. I don't think anyone gets 10 likes per post consistently. Even ItalianUFO with over 10000 posts has only 2500(?) likes. Under your system, to make 10,000 posts he would need 100,000 likes so he would be 97,000+ likes away from contributing what he has already if your system was in place originally. Otherwise he would only have been allowed to make 250 posts... most every frequent member here has more than 250 posts and none has as many likes as Italian.

posts would be unlimited and equal one point, topics would cost ten points and likes would just be bonus points.
- Alexander McQueen

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

I can probably implement a 'new members' group that any one who joins is automatically placed in until they reach X number of posts, at which point they are promoted to the normal members group and get full privileges like everyone else (the software has support for this built in). The new members group could be restricted from posting new topics, although that'd suck if they wanted to create an introduction thread. 

I'll look into something, I am getting tired of seeing spam as I am sure everyone else is. 

They'll just start spamming comments, and then start spamming topics.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

It would be a good idea to have moderators verify members as they sign up.  For instance, after x number of posts you will be sent to moderators for account verification.

Maybe you'd want more mods that spend time here like Cosmic Cat or someone.  Or create a new class of mods that have limited power.  That seems like it would work, but maybe too complicated for the forum software.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-
We just need better border control.

Here's an analogy, how do you stop illegal immigrants from getting into your country? You get a strict border! But they'll find a way to enter soon, so we use military action. And if they keep coming, the only way of stopping them immigrants is by making your country as unappealing as possible, by organizing a large mock campaign of the immigrant country.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

That's what I said; however, unlike a physical country no one can sneak in.  It's impossible to get in if your posting things like "FREE ILLEGAL PASSPORT" if you have mods approving them.  These aren't people they're spam bots.  Spam bots don't come in and post for a few days so they can get their spam in.

Problem: even with this system they are free to post in existing threads until an admin bans them.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Could you make it so that they can only create topics in the introduction section?

I don't like being lied to, but I'm also tired of The Truth.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users