Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

23% of all the goods and services made since 1AD were produced from 2001 to 2010

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,402 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.economist...tifying-history

Flatfingers

Flatfingers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
Not to go off on a tangent -- well, OK, maybe just a slight tangent -- but "1 AD" is incorrect. It should be "A.D. 1." A.D. is short for Anno Domini, or "the Year of our Lord," and thus only makes sense coming before the year number, not after (as is correct for "B.C."). Some people are uncomfortable with the religious aspect of this nomenclature, and opt for the somewhat labored "Common Era" and "Before Common Era" terms, but of course the numeric dates are still religious in origin. At any rate, if one is going to use "A.D.," one might as well put the letters where they belong. Just one of those pet peeve things. ;)

Flatfingers

Flatfingers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
I should add that even The Economist wrote it as "1 AD," so this may be turning into one of those "wrong but so widespread that fighting it is pointless" kinds of things.

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
I grew up around the religious types and I've never seen it written A.D 1 do you have proof of your claim?
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
I seem to recall it has something to do with the fact that AD (Anno Domini) is Latin and BC (Before Christ) is English... Anno means something like "the year of", and Domini means "Lord" or "our Lord"... together they mean "the year of our lord 1955 (or whatever)", so AD 1955... saying 1955 Anno Domini (AD) would sound strange in Latin... I'm pretty sure that's the reason... I personally prefer CE anyway, or better yet metric time. We should definitely get on that. I don't know what the early Catholics used for years that fell before the year "AD 1", though...
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
Lol... but that's all quite off-topic... Would it then be safe to assume that 23% of all of mankind's waste has been produced in the last 10 years as well? If we extrapolate these numbers, would it be safe to say that in my 29 years on this Earth, I've been around to witness half of humanity's total economic history? Our landfills are going to have a hard time handling an exponentially rising pile of useless shit. Meh... there's always Siberia, Northern Canada, Antarctica, the Outback, and the Sahara, not to mention the oceans... noone lives out there... it'll be fine... Consume! Consume! Consume!
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users