Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A few suggestions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace
A few suggestions: 1) Create a Climate Change debate thread. No ther debates on climate change should be on any other thread. On any other thread (regarding climate change) it will be assumed the IPCC is correct. Reason: To cut down some clutter and make it easier to debate whith out copying information on 3+ threads. 2) Create 'sticky' threads. These threads will alawys stay on the top. Kind of like the Runescape fourms. Reason: To make an emphasis on some points.ie. what type of threads whould be in a section.

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
I always thought we should add a featured topics sections as some topics like climate change get long. We should add a space, climate, weather section.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Flatfingers

Flatfingers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
Nothing wrong with having a persistent thread for discussing theories about global warming. But "in all other threads the IPCC will be assumed correct"? Should we also say that dark energy is assumed real and anyone looking for good confirming data for this theory should not be permitted to say so? How about the folks who'd like some clear evidence that aliens exist before accepting those claims -- should we also muzzle them? If we're going to pre-censor views that some people don't like, where do we draw the line? Instead, I'd like to suggest that those who choose to believe that theories of AGW are true, and those who require generally acceptable evidence of causation, be permitted to courteously exchange differing opinions on this subject... and every other subject.

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
why not look at both sides??? I always look at both sides of the argument. That's what good scientists and good thinkers do.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,407 posts
  • LocationLondon

why not look at both sides??? I always look at both sides of the argument. That's what good scientists and good thinkers do.

Scientists have looked at both sides. They've been studying it for decades. And the overwhelming conclusion is that global warming is real, and primarily caused by us.

Azevo

Azevo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
I think the forum has become a little bit messy, sometimes I can't really see a clearcut in different sections between something which is more newsworth, rather than something more speculative.

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
I think we could probably be a bit more pro-active in moving things around, I agree. In turn though, I think there’s a bit of overlap sometimes with certain topics and it is difficult for thread starters to place them in the right section, or sometimes the conversation evolves in such a way the over topic changes. In terms of the suggestions in this thread, I agree broadly with the idea of a single catch-all topic for certain subjects, but I also don’t think we should discourage conversation arising in other, related topics either. Sure it’s convenient for discussions to take place in one location but it’s the nature of forums, especially one such as this, that topics overlap and duplication occurs. It might be worth identifying a couple of existing threads on various topics such as climate change which we could sticky as these catch all threads? Perhaps we need to start thinking about adding a forum moderator soon, who can help us steer conversations and move topics or merge threads and posts.

~Jon

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace

Nothing wrong with having a persistent thread for discussing theories about global warming.

But "in all other threads the IPCC will be assumed correct"?

Should we also say that dark energy is assumed real and anyone looking for good confirming data for this theory should not be permitted to say so? How about the folks who'd like some clear evidence that aliens exist before accepting those claims -- should we also muzzle them? If we're going to pre-censor views that some people don't like, where do we draw the line?

Instead, I'd like to suggest that those who choose to believe that theories of AGW are true, and those who require generally acceptable evidence of causation, be permitted to courteously exchange differing opinions on this subject... and every other subject.

I know what you are getting at. Its just tiring to switch between 3 threads for a debate. I have to scroll through pages to make sure I used no used data. If you saw my posts and my position you would understand.

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

Flatfingers

Flatfingers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
Again, I support having a single thread for certain contentious topics. I think that would accomplish most of what you're after. I just don't support assuming conclusions to unsettled questions... and good science *never* claims that anything is completely settled. We're not gods, able to perceive the totality of any aspect of physical reality. We're limited, fallible beings, for whom tentativeness and openness to relevant new data are high virtues. So I vote no on pre-censoring any opinions. Happily, good science doesn't preclude putting all those opinions on a particular subject in one place. ;)

Azevo

Azevo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Again, looking through the forums is just getting blurrier, i.e threads not being in the proper sections and a lot of off-topic waffle. Should i just use the report button or what? I just think its getting out of hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users