Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Voluntary cybernetic augmentation

cybernetics augmentation cyborg enhancements

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Do you think we'll see an industry develop around cybernetic bodyparts in the same way plastic surgery and the like has become so popular in recent years? If someone had the opportunity to replace an otherwise healthy body part with something of artificial construction which offered superior function, would they? Instead of laser eye surgery, might people opt for a pair of cybernetic eyes which enhance optical resolution, with different viewing modes, for example? Do you think this kind of advanced cybernetics will be achieved in our own lifetimes? Can you think of any other applications for cybernetics which might be popular commercially?

~Jon

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
I'd take a new set of eyes! I imagine we'll see all sorts of things from Bionic Woman or the 6 million dollar man. Enhanced hearing, more brain processing power, become faster, stronger, etc. In 100 years the special olympics will have faster times than the regular olympics.

Trezoristo

Trezoristo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLeiden, The Netherlands
Does this count? Because I think it's absolutely brilliant.

Supposedly the possibility of cybernetics rests on a large number of different fields. We'll need to learn quite a bit about the way our brain and nervous system works. Batteries will have to become quite a bit better - this is a field that currently isn't moving along very fast. And to build a camera that is better than the human eye should also take quite a bit of time.

But suppose it is possible, will it happen? Biotechnology is developing fast too, if we become capable of, for instance, replacing damaged body parts (like eyes) with new ones grown in a lab, the appetite for cybernetics might not be so high. On top of that we are already rapidly developing augmented reality applications for smartphones (Google Goggles is a nice example). If you want infra-red vision, why not put on a pair of infra-red glasses? Are the advantages of putting technology inside your body really that big to overcome initial reservations that people will have with the concept?

Chronomaster

Chronomaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Yeah, I struggle to see what advantages cybernetic augmentation gives to the 'every day person', though it's really hard to predict what could happen if it became cheap and easy. Who'd have thought, just thirty years ago, that the average person would soon be so enveloped by computers in every aspect of their lives?
Counting down...

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Here's an interesting and somewhat relevant article on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-14145045

To some extent, stating the obvious, but still good to read about these studies into how technology like the internet is literally becoming an extension of self, showing how the technology we are using each and every day right now really is the precursor, in my opinion, to integrated cybernetic technologies which will appear in our lifetime and give us all instant recall and real time access to the sum of human knowledge directly to our minds! I wonder how we'll keep it all safe and secure from malicious types... we'll probably need to carry a personal AI to police it all, as well :p

Computers and the internet are changing the nature of our memory, research in the journal Science suggests.

Psychology experiments showed that people presented with difficult questions began to think of computers.

When participants knew that facts would be available on a computer later, they had poor recall of answers but enhanced recall of where they were stored.

The researchers say the internet acts as a "transactive memory" that we depend upon to remember for us.

Lead author Betsy Sparrow of Columbia University said that transactive memory "is an idea that there are external memory sources - really storage places that exist in other people".

"There are people who are experts in certain things and we allow them to be, [to] make them responsible for certain kinds of information," she explained to BBC News.

Co-author of the paper Daniel Wegner, now at Harvard University, first proposed the transactive memory concept in a book chapter titled Cognitive Interdependence in Close Relationships, finding that long-term couples relied on each other to act as one another's memory banks.

"I really think the internet has become a form of this transactive memory, and I wanted to test it," said Dr Sparrow.

I was thinking, in terms of augmentation, that'd we'd eventually be able to expand our own 'onboard' memory capacity and capability to capture and record our lives and instantly access it later, but I expect that will probably be unnecessary if concepts like 'the cloud' really take off?

~Jon

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
aye, brains are just harddrives, the megacloud will make all our memories useless as we will just access the megacloud whenever we want to know or remember anything. Eyes will also become useless as the megacloud will know where every photon is and we can just access that to know what we would be seeing if still had eyes. Infact yea, our whole bodies will be useless i that respect. The megacloud will be awesome.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
If voluntary augmentation were ever to happen, I think it would be based around work requirements. Soldiers are the obvious example, being made stronger, faster, more durable is certainly going to be in their best interest for survival, but in the corporate world you might see increases in neurological capacity, or sense enhancement. Take astronauts of the future. If they could be modified to more suited to a zero-gee environment would they go for it? Ofc they would!
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

alex_

alex_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If voluntary augmentation were ever to happen, I think it would be based around work requirements. Soldiers are the obvious example, being made stronger, faster, more durable is certainly going to be in their best interest for survival, but in the corporate world you might see increases in neurological capacity, or sense enhancement. Take astronauts of the future. If they could be modified to more suited to a zero-gee environment would they go for it? Ofc they would!

i was thinking the same thing, but available to the masses: an electrician will use a rubber coated prosthesis with and enhanced capacity to withstand heat, i don't know when this scenario will become reality because people will be very reluctant to have their actual arm/ hand removed.

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace
I would definitly have issues of replacing my biological origins with artifical parts. As this field progresses and artifical parts feel like biological parts (if that's possible) or if I am severly disadvantaged I may reconsider. I would think that an 'all-in-one enhancement' that will allow to give the most strength and intelligence possible instead of selelectivly increasing some abilities.

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

Mitch

Mitch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAustralia xD

Well i personally think it would take at least 75-100 year's for voluntary agumentation to happen. Plus I don't think it would be based on work requirements because wouldn't sicentist's already make robots by that time? They would most likely replace solider's on the battlefield etc. So they wouldn't really need it unless for increasing their mental capaticy.
"I walk alone, cause I was born alone , I'm really famous, I'm super known and if your son doesn't i make your daughter know!'. Tini tempah song "pass out".

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

i was thinking the same thing, but available to the masses: an electrician will use a rubber coated prosthesis with and enhanced capacity to withstand heat, i don't know when this scenario will become reality because people will be very reluctant to have their actual arm/ hand removed.

Not sure that amputation and replacement would ever happen, was talking more about augmentation, the enhancement of existing limbs through, say, bone replacement with more structurally resistant material (see Wolverine).

I would definitly have issues of replacing my biological origins with artifical parts. As this field progresses and artifical parts feel like biological parts (if that's possible) or if I am severly disadvantaged I may reconsider.

I would think that an 'all-in-one enhancement' that will allow to give the most strength and intelligence possible instead of selelectivly increasing some abilities.

Exactly. At first it would likely just be one or two people that have this done, the effects may be minimal, and there will probably be 'incidents' where the patient suffers side effects or, in the worst case, dies. But as the technology improves, and we move into 2nd / 3rd generation augmentation, the take-up would increase, and suddenly people start to feel that they are being left behind. Now it moves from voluntary to a peer pressure effect. And at the moment I'm talikng about cybernetic augmentation, once nanotechnology arrives and invasive surgery is no longer required you would see a massive take-up.

Well i personally think it would take at least 75-100 year's for voluntary agumentation to happen. Plus I don't think it would be based on work requirements because wouldn't sicentist's already make robots by that time? They would most likely replace solider's on the battlefield etc. So they wouldn't really need it unless for increasing their mental capaticy.

I think that there will always be a core group of human (well, humanoid) soldiers within any armed force. It is true that warfare has always strived to seperate the combatants, which reduces the psychological impact of warfare, from melee to projectile, through artillery and air strikes / ballistic missiles. Remote warfare is the natural next step, but I think a commander will always want to call on the flexibility of trained soldiers to carry out specific tasks, especially covert missions within urban environments where looking human is essential.
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

nuckchorris999

nuckchorris999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I didn't see an artificial replacements thread, so I thought I'd start one. This is for discussing all types of body replacements (bones, organs, blood cells, neurons, etc.). One thing in particular I want to explore is the effects of respirocytes. If one were to replace all of his or her natural blood cells with respirocytes that could hold and deliver 200x the amount of oxygen, how exactly would that affect each part of the body? Surely there would be enormous stamina and endurance gains, but what about bone and muscle strength gains? Would one be much smarter since more oxygen is being delivered to the brain? What about reflexes? Heat dissipation? Hair growth? Would one eat less as there would be a decreased need for energy?

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
Hi Nuck ;) and welcome to the forum.

I guess that not only would you need to replace the blood cells with respirocytes (sure there would be more to it than that), but you would need to alter the cells that receive the oxygen, otherwise there might be plenty of oxygen, but nothing to receive it! Sure you could hold the oxygen in the respirocytes and absorb as required, but I think all you would gain is longevity of supply, not increase in performance.

For anyone that's interested, here is a link to a paper from Biotech on Respirocytes which, although quite old, is quite detailed

http://www.foresight...spirocytes.html

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
http://voicesfromthe...s.blogspot.com/

The Transhuman Body

• SmartSkin- Sun-protected skin that can flawlessly self-repair, has the ability to change color and texture, is impervious to most environmental conditions, and is embedded with tiny solar cells to power peripheral devices and prosthesis.
  • Nano-Enhanced Nervous System- Nanodevices inside and around neurons allow for smoother and more efficient inter-neural communications, as well as conscious control of bodily sensations and reactions. Integrated personal wireless network allows extension of presence over the web in multiple locations. Nanodevices also allow for fully-immersive virtual reality projected from inside the user's nervous system, replacing natural external stimulus input with artificially-generated internal stimulus input.
  • The Brain- Nanomachines occupy every neuron, greatly improving the efficiency of their communication. Integrated personal wireless network allows constant access to the global web, and clean and efficient communication between the brain and the rest of the body. Intelligence amplification, increased and enhanced pattern recognition, redesigned sensory processing regions, and artificial intelligence assistance create a faster, smarter, and more efficient information-processing system. Personal wireless networks created by nanomachines in the brain can be extended and connected to others to create extended networks of thought, allowing a sense of group or peer-to-peer telepathy.
  • Enhanced Sensory Array- Visual and auditory regions of the brain are expanded for greater input and processing ability, while the ears are enhanced with parabolic hearing for a wider range of sounds and the eyes are enhanced for broader spectrum vision. In addition, all input of external sensory information can be replaced by virtual sensory information, providing full immersion virtual reality that indistinguishable from "real" reality.
  • SmartBlood- Red blood cells replaces with nanodevices called respirocytes that transport carbon dioxide and oxygen much more efficiently, increasing endurance and preventing many pulmonary-related deaths and medical complications. Medical nanodevices communicate wirelessly with the nervous system and brain on various bodily functions and conditions, allowing a rapid response to any potentially damaging problem. Any invading disease or foreign body can be tagged and destroyed without error. Artificial platelets heal wounds many times faster and more effectively. pH levels and oxygen saturation can be adjusted based on the situation. Healing factors can be released and targeted to specific locations by thought.
  • Redesigned Digestive System- Efficiently absorbs all available nutrients from food while filtering out any harmful, detrimental, or simply useless material before it reaches the bloodstream. Enhanced absorption membranes and digestive enzymes make the breaking down of food more efficiently and maximizes the total energy gained. Excess energy is stored more efficiently and in discrete areas rather than as harmful fat layers.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cybernetics, augmentation, cyborg, enhancements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users