Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Future of videogames and consoles

gaming videogames xbox playstation ps3 360 sony microsoft ninetendo

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
Don't forget that around that time you'll ahve the PS4, Xbox720 and the Wii 2.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

psychonaut25

psychonaut25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Don't forget that around that time you'll ahve the PS4, Xbox720 and the Wii 2.

Wii 2 is de-facto here now (wii u). but maybe I'm mistaken and the true succesor to Wii is still to come. M$ and Sony are expecting a 10 year lifecycle of current gen consoles..I don't know on what they are waiting for? Any ideas? http://www.futuretim...tyle_emoticons/animate/question.gif

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,158 posts
Not sure on Sony Consoles yet, We'll just have to wait for th PS5 to come out after 2020.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationUK
Wii U is the successor to Wii, like PS3 is the successor to PS2, a generation leap.

Magz

Magz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dayum, that's some fine ass marketing!

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationUK
Not really, supposedly aiming the console at 'hardcore' gamers and still using the Wii name, which has alot of stigma attached, is going to put alot of people off.

psychonaut25

psychonaut25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Maybe we will see resurrection of Virtual reality....I really liked VR and all the devices that was around some 16 years ago, and I want them to return. Of course in the modern way with a better ergonomy better displays that doesn't make you puke your brains out :)

how it was 16 years ago...
Posted Image

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Maybe we will see resurrection of Virtual reality

It’s not a matter of if but when now, without a doubt. When it does make a comeback it might be in a different format to the solutions we tried in the 90s, i.e. I doubt you’ll be strapping a huge headset on, but within the next few decades it’s predicted we’ll be able enter fully immersive virtual worlds, though personally I think it’ll be thirty to forty years before they become ‘realistic’- unless there is some major revolution in programming, they’re going to be damned time consuming to build, when you think about the effort that goes into creating photo-realistic CGI currently, and that’s pre-rendered and viewed only from specific angles.

~Jon

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Maybe we will see resurrection of Virtual reality

It’s not a matter of if but when now, without a doubt. When it does make a comeback it might be in a different format to the solutions we tried in the 90s, i.e. I doubt you’ll be strapping a huge headset on, but within the next few decades it’s predicted we’ll be able enter fully immersive virtual worlds, though personally I think it’ll be thirty to forty years before they become ‘realistic’- unless there is some major revolution in programming, they’re going to be damned time consuming to build, when you think about the effort that goes into creating photo-realistic CGI currently, and that’s pre-rendered and viewed only from specific angles.

If it is 30-40 years until Virtual Reality shouldn't the timeline change as i don't think that will happen in 4-8 years time.

Stephen Hawking

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

If it is 30-40 years until Virtual Reality shouldn't the timeline change as i don't think that will happen in 4-8 years time.

Well, I think what you’re referring to on the timeline is photo-realistic gaming, which probably will occur later this decade or in the 2020s. My statement on thirty-forty years for realistic full immersion virtual reality is just my personal opinion, given the technology and man hours required to build such a thing. In general I prefer to underestimate the speed of technological development and remain slightly pessimistic about time frames, mainly because I like to be surprised when things occur sooner but also because things never really seem to unfold as we imagine they will...

~Jon

Mr. Carmichael

Mr. Carmichael

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
I disagree, I think it will be much sooner than that. A lot of things that are forwarding photo realistic CGI are new algorythms. These algorthyms are shortening down render times. For instance a new one was created which follows the same human brain technology on deciphering blur in objects, something that is essential to realistic motion. This used to mean CG guys had to make the object and then blur it doubling their workload were now only the blur itself is created shortening down everything. The tech is there it's more about making it cost effective and cheaper to create over the coming years, I personally think end of this decade. Also tech to create CGI the programs like maya and so forth will become much easier to use so modelling and texture mapping will be handled mainly by the program with the artist just playing around which will be really exciting. There won't be headsets at first but perhaps like 3D glasses but instead of looking at a screen inside them they will beam the image onto your retina.
  • Caiman likes this

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Well, I think what you’re referring to on the timeline is photo-realistic gaming, which probably will occur later this decade or in the 2020s. My statement on thirty-forty years for realistic full immersion virtual reality is just my personal opinion, given the technology and man hours required to build such a thing. In general I prefer to underestimate the speed of technological development and remain slightly pessimistic about time frames, mainly because I like to be surprised when things occur sooner but also because things never really seem to unfold as we imagine they will...

Ah right my fault thought it was proper Virtual Reality.

Stephen Hawking

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

I disagree, I think it will be much sooner than that.

I hope you are right and I admire your optimism, but retain my cautious pessimism :p To clarify on my opinion, it’s not that I don’t think we’ll have the technology for thirty to forty years, just that it could take that long for it to really hit the mainstream and become affordable and ubiquitous. I hope I am wrong, because it’s going to be awesome when it finally does arrive.

~Jon

Digital Phoenix

Digital Phoenix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I wonder if Half Life 2: Episode 3 will be out by then...
  • Saradus likes this

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales

I wonder if Half Life 2: Episode 3 will be out by then...

Haha maybe that's what they're waiting for. We can only hope it'll out by then, but I wouldn't hold your breath :p

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

Keitaro2011

Keitaro2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationB.C. Canada
I would totally spend $10,000 on a full immersion VR console for hentai games alone. Not to mention eating whatever you want, as much as you want, whenever you want. Hedonism FTW.
It's apparent to me that a lot of people seem to want to prove why a technology is not possible, rather than think of ingenious ways to make something possible. It's my conviction that when someone says something is "impossible," what they really mean is "our current level of science cannot explain this, and I don’t have the motivation to explore beyond its boundaries." -Richard Obousy

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Take a look at that
What do you think about it? AMD is quite a reliable source, isn't it?

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
Sounds like a PR exercise, tbh. If AMD are making hardware for the next gen XBOX they have a lot to gain by hyping it up.

~Jon

psychonaut25

psychonaut25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Sounds like a PR exercise, tbh. If AMD are making hardware for the next gen XBOX they have a lot to gain by hyping it up.

History is repeating, ATi was claiming when X360 had to come out, that Xenos GPU will deliver graphics like LOTR CGI....

Chronomaster

Chronomaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Consoles will never overtake PCs in raw graphical capability, IMO, regardless of hype like that AMD are pumping out. I do think that by the end of this decade, there will definitely be playable games with GFX' like those seen in Avatar, but on a home console? I doubt it... the next console generation will still be in its prime by the end of this decade (just about, if the current generation is anything to go by) so whatever comes out next we're stuck with while the PC capability will just grow more and more capable each year like it has done forever. There is simply no comparison between some of the latest games available for PC and those on consoles right now.
Counting down...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gaming, videogames, xbox, playstation, ps3, 360, sony, microsoft, ninetendo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users