Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

how long will the internet last?

internet

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
Many science fiction movies depict that we don't have the internet, or that we do have the internet in limited form, why is this? Will it really last a long time or will something happen to it that will make people not want to use it?
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

sirhotalot

sirhotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Generally those movies take place in post apocalyptic societies. The only way we'll lose our internet is if our economy collapses and we can no longer afford to maintain the infrastructure.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
I think something will replace the internet like on Phil of the Future as seen here: -

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Assuming no apocalyptic event of our own, I imagine the internet of 2021 will be a significantly different platform to that which we are using today, let alone the internet of a hundred years hence, I think some kind of integrated, socially networked augmented reality is the going to be the next big thing before eventually leading into realistic virtual worlds and the like (perhaps Caprica offers a decent vision on how this might look in a near-future human society?)

~Jon

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,123 posts
  • LocationLondon
The Internet will expand to eventually cover the entire Virgo supercluster, and perhaps ultimately the entire Universe.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

The Internet will expand to eventually cover the entire Virgo supercluster, and perhaps ultimately the entire Universe.

Pfft, I spit on your universe and it's puny physical limitations, and raise you one virtuverse, where physcial laws mean nothing and there is no end to the dimensionality :p
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
Hehe, but seriously, depends on which films you are referring to? Films like The Matrix and The Lawnmower Man essentially almost base their entire plot around the concept of the internet (or a virtual reality form). And bear in mind that the internet is relatively new so many older sci-fi films won't have and reference to it, but people like William Gibson have been writing about it for years. Unfortunately watching someone check their status update on Facebook doesn't exactly make for riveting action :D Mind you, have they broguht out any internet based horror films recently - I would be surprised if they hadn't but I haven't kept up with the genre recently...
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

Woo! Bring it on! The internet is here for good.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
I think it'll largely disappear into the fabric of our lives... it'll be there, but generations from now they won't even know it. Instant "telepathic" communication will come naturally to children through mind-machine interfaces by the turn of the 22nd century, as will the ability to learn anything about anything from anywhere. The internet will be everywhere, but nowhere. You'll need no devices, and you'll never have to log in, and you'll never log out.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

You'll need no devices, and you'll never have to log in, and you'll never log out.

Possibly within our own lifetimes, tbh.

~Jon

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

You'll need no devices, and you'll never have to log in, and you'll never log out.

Aye you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave...

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon

Assuming no apocalyptic event of our own, I imagine the internet of 2021 will be a significantly different platform to that which we are using today, let alone the internet of a hundred years hence, I think some kind of integrated, socially networked augmented reality is the going to be the next big thing before eventually leading into realistic virtual worlds and the like (perhaps Caprica offers a decent vision on how this might look in a near-future human society?)

yep, Caprica does offer some insights and I tend to agree, Internet will indeed become amalgamation of real life and virtual reality, how far will this take us, its hard to guess, but Caprica certainly did get some good ideas upfront.
It's dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

sirhotalot

sirhotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Guys, those things are still the internet just different ways to access it.

yep, Caprica does offer some insights and I tend to agree, Internet will indeed become amalgamation of real life and virtual reality, how far will this take us, its hard to guess, but Caprica certainly did get some good ideas upfront.

Read Snowcrash and Neuromancer.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
This is assuming that the internet WILL definitely evolve exponentially. Does Moore's law apply to the internet as well? Can people really get bored with it in 20 years? It doesn't seem so science fiction to assume that something different and better that we haven't even dreamt up yet will replace the internet making it entirely obsolete or pointless to use. The basic fundamentals of the internet have remained to the everyday user pretty much unchanged. The user doesn't see the evolution of the internet like we do. They don't understand why the internet is ten times as fast as it was ten years ago (that's an understatement). They see the same stuff, email, video, and news. They don't understand how big YouTube is. That's what the majority of users on the internet use it for. Social Networking is the first big major change the internet has undergone, I think since Google! So the internet is pretty basic and lacking compared to the rest of the technology world. Some say Social Networking is the tip of change for the internet, but what if it's the end? What if there's nothing new after social networking has reached its climax? After all, how exciting will status updates be in twenty years?
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Main trait of Internet is resilience. It will last as long as humanity unless there's some kind of apocalyptic disaster.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
Ray Kurzweil and those who support the Venus Project as well, think that technology, particularly the internet, will soon become an integrated and internal part in society. But will it?

With technology evolving so rapidally the only ones who will be able to understand it will be the programmers, nerds and hackers. Since nerds and programmers are really hackers at heart, what does that mean for society in general?

Do those who support the Venus Project expect that hackers won't try to penetrate their systems and give unlimted free food to all those on their facebook and leave the rest starving? Even though these hackers take down systems for fun or the good of society in their own twisted views? They even do massive hacks enough to gain media attention. (Wikileaks & Anonymous)

In the TV show Sliders one depiction of where the world might be heading is the idea that society might split up into two sepearte groups. (We already see this in American Politics). One group will want to live off grid, one group will want to embrance technology to the point where its impossible to tell if they are more human/machine. I think that this is one of the best overlooked depitictions of the future.

I don't think you need to force someone to use technologies if they don't want to. They may have a hard time functioning in society, but they can still live how they want.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
What does the above post have to do with the internet? In terms of the Venus Project, im sure there will be sufficient security personnel warding against malevolent entities. Anyway, the internet will continue to evolve. it is an extremely useful thing for which society will suffer if it were suddenly taken out.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
How do you think the venus project will all be connected??? The internet!!!!!

sirhotalot

sirhotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Ray Kurzweil and those who support the Venus Project as well, think that technology, particularly the internet, will soon become an integrated and internal part in society. But will it?

The internet is already an integral part of our society.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
It's not internal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users