Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

how long will the internet last?

internet

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

sirhotalot

sirhotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

This is assuming that the internet WILL definitely evolve exponentially. Does Moore's law apply to the internet as well? Can people really get bored with it in 20 years? It doesn't seem so science fiction to assume that something different and better that we haven't even dreamt up yet will replace the internet making it entirely obsolete or pointless to use.

Make it out of whatever you want, wires, lasers, moon beams, the internet is still the internet. A global system of interconnected computer networks.

It's not internal.

Define internal. If the internet fails our economy is in serious trouble. Thankfully we still have radio and telephones for communication.

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
As in connecting people biologically... But, that wasn't the main point of this point the main point is to discuss if people will find the internet obsolete or useless if no new advancements are made after social networking...
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

sirhotalot

sirhotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

As in connecting people biologically...

But, that wasn't the main point of this point the main point is to discuss if people will find the internet obsolete or useless if no new advancements are made after social networking...

No, the internet will never be obsolete if no new advancements are made after social networking. Humans are social creatures by nature. The amount of people using the internet is only increasing and social media has proven invaluable in the past few years.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

What does the above post have to do with the internet? In terms of the Venus Project, im sure there will be sufficient security personnel warding against malevolent entities.

Anyway, the internet will continue to evolve. it is an extremely useful thing for which society will suffer if it were suddenly taken out.

How do you think the venus project will all be connected??? The internet!!!!!

Right! The second part still stands.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
Yeah I kinda worded that a little badly but... the you know the whole point of this post so.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
Keep in mind, i don't use the internet because its the internet. I use it to see other people and what they have done. Its done wonders for obscure information!

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
I think the internet will exist for a very long time, just not in its current form.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
The internet is organic in nature. It will evolve as our needs for it evolve. It might eventually not even be called the internet, but it will be there. Afterall, does anyone remember ARPANET? It evolved from the military network into what we know of it today.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

The internet is organic in nature. It will evolve as our needs for it evolve. It might eventually not even be called the internet, but it will be there. Afterall, does anyone remember ARPANET? It evolved from the military network into what we know of it today.

Agreed. The Internet as we know it today may be around until the end of the century or so, and after that it will change into something else. Probably into something incorporating real life just as much as cyber life.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

Agreed. The Internet as we know it today may be around until the end of the century or so, and after that it will change into something else. Probably into something incorporating real life just as much as cyber life.

I wouldn't even say the end of the century, I would give it maybe 50 years, tops, before people stop calling it that, except by then all us oldies. It will become an invisible transparent layer on our reality, embedded and permanently hooked up, with people recording every single moment of their lives on the premise of being able to reconstruct themselves from this memory layer.
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users