Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Future Predictions 2011-2200

the future The Future The Future The Future The Future The Future The Future

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
Futurists claims aren't pulled out of their ass. They're based on what is currently in research and development. They're based on extrapolating regressional models of quantifiable things like cps, MIPS, RAM, and all that stuff. I like sci-fi. But there is a difference between "In 2019 we will have a computer working on the exaflop scale" and "A terminator is going to come back in time and try to ensure Judgment Day." See the difference between futurism and sci-fi? Future Timeline isn't supposed to be a joke. It isn't supposed to be laughed at by the internet. But you're making it that way by suggesting that even one of your predictions are in the least bit plausible or even possible. A terrorist group uses virtual reality and drug enhancement to make people think there is a 9.6 earth quake? 14 year old's make $30,000 a year? A single quantum computer almost causes WW3 by almost launching nukes? Are you fucking high? You do have a fundamental misunderstanding of what futurism is. You look at the data and THEN draw the conclusions. Conclusions come after examination of data. You seem to think it's draw the conclusion and don't even attempt to find data to fit it.
  • wjfox likes this

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
Well then I guess my timeline is too hard for you to comprehend. I'm not laughing at FutureTimeline. You are insulting my intelligence and my creativity all in one. But that's just it, FurtureTimeline isn't conclusive its guesses. Some very good guesses and some not so good, just like this timeline. Maybe my timeline is a little bit based off fiction more than fact, but who cares! The future is supposed to be fun and imaginative. Why can't A terrorist group uses virtual reality and drug enhancement to make people think there is a 9.6 earth quake? Why can't 14 year olds make $30,000 a year online? Why can't A single quantum computer almost causes WW3 by almost launching nukes? All of these topics have been explored in science fiction. I don't want to go bashing futuretimeline here because I think the site is sooo cool and wouldn't dare to insult its creativity and some facts but a lot of it is creativity. So I am standing by my idea and my amazing vision of the future, but your never going to convince me that my science fiction ideas can NEVER possibly happen, because that statement is just not true. If you have a desire to label me than call me a visionary. People laughed at Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Mark Zuckerberg plus countless others when they told them that their ideas were crazy and impossible!!!! Your insults only makes my passion and dedication to technology and the far future even stronger!!!!!
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Azevo

Azevo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Again, I think you should actually cite something as to why you write about all of this, otherwise this should all just be moved to the fictional timeline part of the board. I am not criticising your imagination, ideas, intelligence etc. etc., I think some of them could possibly be viable, rather it would be nice if you could actually cite something or some evidence as to why something can be possible.

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Well then I guess my timeline is too hard for you to comprehend. I'm not laughing at FutureTimeline. You are insulting my intelligence and my creativity all in one. But that's just it, FurtureTimeline isn't conclusive its guesses. Some very good guesses and some not so good, just like this timeline. Maybe my timeline is a little bit based off fiction more than fact, but who cares! The future is supposed to be fun and imaginative.

Why can't A terrorist group uses virtual reality and drug enhancement to make people think there is a 9.6 earth quake?
Why can't 14 year olds make $30,000 a year online?
Why can't A single quantum computer almost causes WW3 by almost launching nukes?

All of these topics have been explored in science fiction.

I don't want to go bashing futuretimeline here because I think the site is sooo cool and wouldn't dare to insult its creativity and some facts but a lot of it is creativity. So I am standing by my idea and my amazing vision of the future, but your never going to convince me that my science fiction ideas can NEVER possibly happen, because that statement is just not true.

If you have a desire to label me than call me a visionary. People laughed at Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Mark Zuckerberg plus countless others when they told them that their ideas were crazy and impossible!!!! Your insults only makes my passion and dedication to technology and the far future even stronger!!!!!

Right there. There's your problem. Predicting the future has nothing to do with "creativity." It's about analyzing data and drawing conclusions.

PZ Meyers has a field day with "singularitarians" because they say stupid shit like you are right now. Stop saying things that aren't supported by evidence unless you're admitting that all of this is purely fiction and not in the slightest bit speculation.

Futurisim isn't about predicting specific events, it's about predicting emerging technological capabilities or cultural trends. Futurism is: "By 2200, less than 5% of Americans will be Christian." You seem to think it is: "In the year 2033 an atheist will kill a Christian in cold blood sparking religious debates everywhere." The former is based on facts given certain trends; at the rate Christianity is fading from culture, we can expect that conclusion (I'm just making this up right now, I hope you get the point). The latter is utter nonsense. There is no way to know if that will happen and even if it did its consequences are extremely unlikely.

The events I singled out are wrong because:
1) Virtual reality won't exist by 2016. That requires a bunch of nanomachines connected to your nervous system. Given certain trends, by 2016 we won't be nearly advanced enough in nanotechnology, we won't have even close to the computing power necessary to simulate anything, and we won't know enough about the brain to do this even if we had the technology. Even then, using this technology on a large population without their consent would be impossible. There is no such thing as "drug enhancement." There is no such thing as a 9.6 earth quake. There is no prospective hacker group who would want to do this.
2) Child labor laws. They are freshmen in college. No 14-year old, aside from child actors, has made a living of that kind of money. You either need a career, meaning an education, or you need a job, meaning that's illegal because of child labor laws. There has never been a teenage entrepreneur. Ever. Teenagers aren't going to get inexplicably smart all of sudden.
3) The only difference between quantum computing and other computing paradigms (like modern day integrated circuits) is that it's a lot faster. That's it. Second of all, a single computer doesn't control all nuclear warheads. Third of all, even if it did, because a quantum computer is no different from any other computer, that wouldn't happen. Your laptop isn't going to suddenly turn on, log you into Facebook, and start chatting with your friend.

If you're just writing sci-fi, then kudos to you. But you're suggesting that these are legitimate predictions. They're not. You're just pulling shit out of your ass that you think sounds cool.
  • wjfox likes this

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
Holographic 3d technology: http://www.3dfocus.c...ram-mobile/1347 Brain Implants by 2020: http://www.smartplan...intel-says/2219 Never a teenage Entrepreneur? Young Entrepreneurs under 21: http://www.retireat2...eneurs-under-21 There's your sources for some of these trends. I think you need to do a little bit more research before saying all of my ideas are wrong and impossible and can never possibly happen. You think of the future your way, and I think of the future way more technologically advanced than most people. And by the way, what do you mean legitimate prediction??? I haven't ever heard of such a thing. Nobody can predict the future! You may be able to predict close to the future but not exactly and its still an educated guess. So there's no such thing as a perfect prediction or even an accurate prediction. Even the top people in tech get it wrong sometimes.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Holographic 3d technology: http://www.3dfocus.c...ram-mobile/1347
Brain Implants by 2020: http://www.smartplan...intel-says/2219
Never a teenage Entrepreneur? Young Entrepreneurs under 21: http://www.retireat2...eneurs-under-21

There's your sources for some of these trends. I think you need to do a little bit more research before saying all of my ideas are wrong and impossible and can never possibly happen. You think of the future your way, and I think of the future way more technologically advanced than most people.

And by the way, what do you mean legitimate prediction??? I haven't ever heard of such a thing. Nobody can predict the future! You may be able to predict close to the future but not exactly and its still an educated guess. So there's no such thing as a perfect prediction or even an accurate prediction. Even the top people in tech get it wrong sometimes.

All this stuff is possible, yes, and it will happen. But you're predicting it far too soon. I'd bet my left foot that we won't have virtual reality by 2016. You're also predicting specific events, a fallacy that I already illustrated in the previous post. You can say what is technologically possible and overall cultural trends but not specific events, especially ones where there isn't really any human reason for it, like a bunch of hackers doing something totally impossible.

I notice none your teenage entrepreneurs are 14 and I also notice that this is a vanishingly small minority of all teenagers. To suggest that this will become the norm is simply ludicrous. It's not even economically possible.

Legitimate predictions are when Ray Kurzweil looked at the Arpanet (precursor to the Internet), saw that its servers were doubling every year or so, and then predicted it would reach a few hundred million people by the late 1990's by extrapolating the given trend of doubling servers every year. He made similar claims with when a computer would beat the world chess champion (predicted it would happen in 1998, happened in 1997), the fall of the Soviet Union, and the Human Genome Project. Many of his predictions are based off of looking at what is currently in research in development, seeing how fast the research is going (basically Moore's law extended to other pieces of information technology), and then extrapolating that trend to see how long it will take before it's truly something remarkable. His regression models' r^2's are typically over .97, which is pretty damn high.

He wrote an essay on how accurate his predictions are. He's correct around 86% of the time. You might think there's some bias because he's judging the prediction, but I read the entire 150 page essay so if you trust me I can assure you that it's fair and correct. http://www.kurzweila...ns/download.php

See, Kurzweil uses math, you know, the most objective tool there is (although statistics does admittedly have some grey area) to validate his predictions. He doesn't start with a prediction. That's what you do. He starts with data and then draws the conclusions AFTERWARD. That's why he has such a good track record and is so revered.
  • wjfox and truthiness like this

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
What sort of alchemy are these politicians using to replicate gold in 2016? I have a 6 year old who'll be 14 in 2019... Unless his car is fully automated (I'm going to guess that there might be some automated new cars by then, but what he'll be driving will be an old-fashioned Camry or something circa 2004 or so, assuming we're not rationing gas by then), there is absolutely no way that he'll be driving by then... even 16 is pretty damn dangerous, if you ask me... I think the only reason we've been allowing 16 year-olds to drive for as long as they have is because some of them have jobs, and they support the economy a bit by occasionally buying something while they troll through the mall... today those kids are having a much harder time finding jobs... I wouldn't be surprised if driving ages started going the other way pretty soon - up to 17 or 18. Otherwise, not bad...
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
So the mission to Mars comes after the space race to send the first man to Saturn? :huh: Some of these ideas are pretty out there... a Euro-Sino-America, without Russia or Japan or the rest of the world? If you're going to combine those three, they might as well take the rest with them and form a United States of Earth... unless that's coming... I'm reading these in order

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
Very interesting... I like the "Last Christmas" in 2050... I hope you're right about that one... Would Islam face a similar fate at around the same time, or would its fall come later?

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
I think that soon there will be a global effort to either combine religions or suppress it just as religion has done to science in the past the cycle will reverse. I didn't really focus on other Religions because Christianity is the largest religion, and I know the most about it, so if that fails others will likely fail as well.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts
  • LocationLondon

Why can't A terrorist group uses virtual reality and drug enhancement to make people think there is a 9.6 earth quake?
Why can't 14 year olds make $30,000 a year online?
Why can't A single quantum computer almost causes WW3 by almost launching nukes?

These things could indeed happen.

A pink elephant could also fall from the sky, and kill me on my journey home this evening. A naked Jessica Alba could be waiting in my bedroom this evening. Or I could win the national lottery tomorrow.

It's a question of probabilities. We can't be 100% sure of anything. But we can look at facts, trends, graphs and extrapolations, and come to the most likely outcome based on these. Your predictions - with all due respect - appear to be mostly random and based on wild guesses. Either that, or they are clearly too optimistic in their timing.

And people can predict the future. Look at Ray Kurzweil's predictions, as highlighted by Unrequited Lust. There's a whole industry devoted to futurists. They don't employ these people for nothing, you know.
  • truthiness likes this

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
You are predicting with me sir lolz. I just figured those three would be the most powerful nations to start world peace talks and possibly combine. Rockets to Saturn Man on Mars.

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

What sort of alchemy are these politicians using to replicate gold in 2016?

lol I missed that one. I wish I could say that prediction stands out from the others in terms of unfathomable stupidity. But I can't.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
2060- Upload Your Mind! The human brain network has reached over one million brains literally overnight. The mind is now being uploaded to the internet giving it a life like never before. All human emotions and thoughts are recognized by computers and the AI system! You do not have to order a computer to do something anymore it does it before you even think about it. Although annoying floating pop up ads still appear everywhere!

2061- Hover Cars Get Major Upgrade: Flying cars are back in production with newly created anti-gravity technology and environmental immersion systems. Garages are a thing of the past!

2063- Sahara Becomes Major World Power: Sahara nation joins the Global Community as Russia is still staying back. Meanwhile Caucasians are a rarity as many people are mixed races and have darker skin.

Late 2063- The Justice League: Human scientists have completed invisibility shields. The GC military has finally perfected the super human! These humans have advanced capabilities including flying, laser eye beams, telekinesis, and transfiguration techniques. The new military division is rightly entitled “The Justice League.”

2064- The Most Dangerous Year: NOAA and NASA along with the GC has declared the year 2064 as the most dangerous year for weather. The world is beginning to see effects of Climate Change as many coastal islands have disappeared and the seas dry up. Europe has recovered from the water crisis with help from the replication process. California dislodges from the North American continent. New York builds a flood wall as sea levels rise.

2065- Are You Pure? Are you an android?: Purebred humans are disappearing. The difference between humans and androids (humans with computer implants) are hard to distinguish. Many businesses are now run completely by the Androids. Humans spend their free time immersed in virtual reality programs.

2066- Facebook Announces ThinkStream: Many languages are disappearing as more and more people use and study Chinglish (a mixture of Chinese and English), the official language of the GC. In other news being social seems like a chore. People rarely get together unless if it is for special occasions and that rarely happens. With Facebook they can just go online and think about that person and a holographic image will appear and interact with them pre-programmed by the other person.

2067- Brain Mapping complete: Humans finally understand every deep crevice of the brain. The human brain is finally mapped and understood by the androids, thus curing many brain diseases and abnormalities. This technology also helps stop the aging process indefinitely!

2067- Robots Dominate Politics: Wars are now games. The Androids like games and strategy that is how they decide everything from scientific innovation to war outcomes. Usually played between two androids, it is a much better system then old time politics. Pure humans have little political power.

2068- The Rat Lives! Teleportation of complex organisms a reality. There is still much more work to be done.

2069- Religion Declared Illegal: Religion has become illegal and all crazy theories are tossed out unless it can be proven! Religion is declared harmful to society because it causes people to do unthinkable acts. A more mature and scientific inclined society tends to agree. Physics have failed to prove that a God does in fact exist so nobody talks about it. The Christian movement has gone underground.

Late 2069- ESPN Does Last Broadcast: ESPN, the major Sports Channel has gone bankrupt and went black this year. This is because nobody is taking sports seriously anymore, at least none of the sports that we have grown to know. By 2069 thanks to technological advancements, holographic technologies, and mind uploading, anybody can learn the sports games and become a superstar, overnight! It's no fun anymore. Many major sporting venues have been losing funding for years.

2070- No Bridge? Many people are upset by the fact that Canada and Russia are not being interconnected by a bridge. However, plans to connect Europe and the American continents are well underway by an underwater AI tunnel! Maglev trains will speed through the tunnel at speeds up to Mach 1.

2072- Massive Flooding: London and New York are being flooded. The Androids prepare a subterranean real estate system.

2073- Christians Continue Protest: The last purebred humans are the Christian terrorists and they are constantly being hunted by the AI.

2075- Invincibility: Thanks to the human brain mapping project from last decade humanity is now immortal. Dying is just another day; just upload your brain onto the Brain Network and revert your age to 20 years younger and out pops yourself 20 years younger. Of course you would have to know your dying for this process to work however; neuro-firewalls have been added to the brain in order to alert the mind of an oncoming disease.

2077- Total World Peace Established: Australia, Russia, and Africa unite into the GC. Global boundaries are non-existent as these were created by the humans. Humans have no need for political power because they cannot understand the complex games created by the Androids to decide on everything.

2080- Purebreds are Second Class: Pure Humans appear to be oblivious to the fact that Androids have indeed taken over the world. Humans are a second class citizen if they do not have some type of biotech implant.

2082- City-wide Teleportation: Teleportation portals are now being set up in major cities and businesses.

2083- The Hybrid Controversy: The first human AI hybrid has been born causing much controversy. The AIs felt that it was necessary for it to become destroyed due to ethical issues the world just wasn't ready for.

2085- Antarctica Emerges: An Antarctican colony is created as many from the subterranean homes moved to Antarctica as the ice melts away from the super continent.

2086- The Garden of Eden: The Middle East is now a booming mecca as the replication devices are becoming more and more portable. Most of the world is free from tampering by human or android hands!

2088- Android and Religion? The Androids create their own Tower of Babel. An elevator connected to nowhere? Rising into outer space equipped with high speed technology and an observation deck. Because of its lack of scientific application, many humans secretly believe that the Androids now have faith and believe in some type of higher power.

Definitions:
*AI- Sentient internet connected machines that have more intelligence than the entire population of humans/androids.
*Purebreds- Humans with no technology installed in their bodies mind uploading is another issue.
*Androids- Humans with major technological upgrades
*Humans- Talking about society in General.

More to Come........

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
Saturn is fucking gas giant. It has no ground.

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
Isn't this forum supposed to be for actual science fiction? Like Bladerunner or Star Wars? Not user made fiction?

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
what's the difference? I've actually asked this question and we can post our own stuff.

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
Alrighty then have fun.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
Yah, you can make your own stuff up in this forum. Even fics and stuff.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
Plenty of moons. Titan is a prime target for exploration.

For a floating cloudtop colony the gravity would be right around Earths.

95/(9.4)2 = 1.1 G's. Surface gravity depends on mass and density.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the future, The Future, The Future, The Future, The Future, The Future, The Future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users