Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Potential Timeline Additions Thread

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,221 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I figured that there should be a thread of potential additions to the timeline, whether predictions or useful references to recent events. Maybe a cumulative prediction or two that members here vote on?

Such as the recent graphene breakthroughs. The most recent one saw a one nanometer graphene molecule behaving like a fully combustible engine. Certainly that could lead to a prediction for nanomachines. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

jamesgera

jamesgera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

i agree

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I don't know. Wjfox is busy often so I don't think we should put an additional burden on him.

What difference does it make?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts
This was meant to reduce the stress on him

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

I don't know. Wjfox is busy often so I don't think we should put an additional burden on him.

Posted Image

:)

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts
My personal contribution would be for a prediction of artificial plants being used in desert areas by 2025. I will come back and add references supporting this prediction so actual deliberation towards whethet or not to add it can occur, but I've been using a phone for internet and it would be hell trying to type out my full thesis on this thing. Potential Prediction coming June 4th!

Guest_Northward_*

Guest_Northward_*
  • Guests

I think that where the timeline predicts civilization will be type 3 should say "And if it is possible by this time to leave this universe, this would be the time civilization would do it."

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

The timeline pretty much only makes astronomical predictions after 10000 AD, not predictions about technology and the like. Also, there is nothing on the timeline between 4000 and 10000. These should be remedied if possible.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Trying to predict technology after 10,000 AD from 2014 is impossible, and any prediction attempting to do so would 99.99% be inaccurate to an incomprehensible degree.

Saying that, I agree that some predictions between 4000 and 10,000 would be good to fill the gap.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

I see where you're coming from, but all those astronomical predictions in a site that is (up to that point) mostly devoted to science, technology, and cultural trends, seems somewhat distracting and pointless.

As an aside, maybe 2300-3000 could use three or four more predictions.

Ryan94

Ryan94

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Fuck him

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts

Fuck him

He'll fuck you. It's his site.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Something about Mars One should go under 2024.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
More information about robotics.

jamesgera

jamesgera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

i would actually like to see what the prediction of culture life would actually be like in the future instead of saying what year something should happen or what something should look like.

purefuture

purefuture

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationQuebec city

after careful review of the entire future timeline database I'm curious to find out by other users as why 

futuristic views include human settlements "on the moon" "on mars" and possibly on the great "meteorite barrier" 

while nothing much is happening in our own Oceans...

Jules Verne used one of his character capt Nemo to express his views about the future being under water,

not to long after,the great oceans explorer Jacques Cousteau also said that human civilization will find there way

back to where they are from.

Perhaps there are technicalities that i do not comprehend,but my gut feeling tells me that a few underwater cities and/or smaller  settlements for research and development could very well be possible around 2150 if not sooner..

Who knows what nanotech has in it's pockets for us in the future.But one thing remain,since our planet is mostly covered

by water,why not explore it more?

ohh well this is my humble opinion,

thank you for reading and answering.

sincerely

Stefan Quebec city

Canada 

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Underwater cities are a possibility, and they are cheaper.

For example, it cost $2.5 billion dollars for NASA's Curiosity rover while it took $2.5 billion (the exact same) to built an underground railroad in the Bosporus straight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmaray

http://amyshirateite...t-of-curiosity/

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

For example, it cost $2.5 billion dollars for NASA's Curiosity rover while it took $2.5 billion (the exact same) to built an underground railroad in the Bosporus straight.

I wonder why we hear so little about underwater cities. It's all about arcologies, or space cities. But there is a lot of land underwater, and so many resources too. And floating cities are another interesting possibility.

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

This was meant to reduce the stress on him

If we intend on reducing the load with a thread for possible additions then we should make it one where the post should be a finished article so Wjfox would just need to act as editor. The thread used should be pinned in this section and if Wjfox is willing start with a description of the format he wishes to see the suggestions. If this thread becomes heavily used Liking a suggestion could be helpful in identifying suggestions the members see as important.

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

I wonder why we hear so little about underwater cities. It's all about arcologies, or space cities. But there is a lot of land underwater, and so many resources too. And floating cities are another interesting possibility.

I think the example is a poor one as you are comparing a tunnel under the sea bed with a habitat on the sea bottom. The tunnel actual is much easier to build as it avoids almost all the environmental issues facing an undersea habitat. I did like the idea enough though to start a new thread on the Sci & Tech forum. http://www.futuretim...a-colonization/

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users