Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pseudoscience/Woo/Conspiracy Theory News and Discussions

Conspiracy Woo Pseudoscience Alternative Medicine Fad Diet Astrology Global Warming Denialism Germ Theory Denialism 9/11 Conspiracy Logical Fallacy

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,921 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Want to share any good conspiracy theories you (or someone you'd never want to know) came up with?

It doesn't matter how insane or humble they are.

Here's a modern classic=

"The FutureTimeline website is run by the Illuminati to fool people into thinking that there are years past 2012."

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 20 February 2013 - 05:54 PM.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationLake Wanaka, New Zealand, 2025 C.E.

I think that most of us know is did we really go to the moon, here is a video about it: - 

By TheoriesOfConspiracy

http://youtu.be/VW4_5kAPzb0

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

I hope this site will never become a conspiracy site. I see this happening in many future websties! Please Lord...save us from this!

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin
I hope this site will never become a conspiracy site. I see this happening in many future websties! Please Lord...save us from this!

Me too, my friend, me too.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationLake Wanaka, New Zealand, 2025 C.E.
I doubt it would, wouldn't you talk/post that on one.Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Me too, my friend, me too.

Sometimes we come to agree :)

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

This thread is, as the name suggests, created for the reporting/discussion of any conspiracy theories/woo/pseudoscience/other irrational and/or dubious topics. If you disagree that something deserves to be put in this thread, please feel free to discuss it (but only if evidence or other reasonable justifications can be put forward, and not "GMOS ARE UNNATURAL AND WILL KILL YOU!!!!!! WaKe Up, SHEEPLE!!!!!!!!", or anything of that nature).

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

PETA Embraces Autism Pseudoscience

Posted Image

PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) has a history of (as the old saying goes) using science as a drunk uses a lamppost – for support rather than illumination. In that way they are typical of ideological groups. They have an agenda, they are very open about their beliefs, and they marshal whatever arguments they can in order to promote their point of view.

Favoring information that supports our current beliefs is a cognitive bias common to Homo sapiens, but ideology tends to take this simple bias to a new level. It can lead to the systematic distortion or denial of science, and render belief systems immune to logic and evidence.

PETA provides us with a nice example of how having an ideological agenda can motivate an individual or a group to embrace dubious science. In an article currently on their website, and making the rounds in social media (this is repeating a claim from at least 2008, but the current article is undated), the group warns: Got Autism? Learn About the Link Between Dairy Products and the Disease. They claim:

The reason why dairy foods may worsen or even cause autism is being debated. Some suspect that casein harms the brain, while others suggest that the gastrointestinal problems so often caused by dairy products cause distress and thus worsen behavior in autistic children.

Saying that “how” dairy harms the brain is being debated implies “that” dairy harms the brain is accepted and not being debated. This is misleading. It is not accepted that dairy harms the brain or is in any way linked to autism, and the evidence is largely against it.

Gluten-free and casein-free diets for autism have been around for decades. They are based largely on the anecdotal observation that children with autism can experience a worsening in behavior when they consume gluten (a protein in wheat and other grains) or casein (a protein in milk and other dairy products). Parents will sometimes try to place their children on a gluten-free or casein-free diet, and some report improvement in behavior.

Such observations are a reasonable basis for a hypothesis, but not a conclusion. Behavior in children, especially those with the challenge of autism, can be unpredictable. Unpredictable and variable symptoms lend themselves to confirmation bias, with a strong tendency to lead to the anecdotal experience that whatever is being looked for is real. For example, many parents believe that sugar makes their children hyperactive, when this is simply not true.

Full article at http://www.scienceba...-pseudoscience/

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Yeah this PETA nonsense knocked me out today morning. Just WOW how stupid and evil this organization is...

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,921 posts
Ooh, goody. Let's also debate global warming denialism and the supernatural being passed off as fact.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,778 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Oh, where to start... I'll go. The mumps had been eradicated in the USA since 2000, but thanks to recent popular sentiments by anti-vaccination types there was an outbreak that reached several major US cities. I saw some of the patients, too... rashes and swollen glands. Fuck the anti-vaxxer movement, ruining life for everyone else.

Arbitrary distrust of medicine is no excuse for the endangerment of public health. I hope they all get polio

Also this is my new favorite thread. I request a sticky

Animator for a living, I do things other than gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube Newgrounds Website

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
Can someone go over logical fallacies and so forth? My knowledge of formal logic and philosophy is limited

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • 2,535 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Can someone go over logical fallacies and so forth? My knowledge of formal logic and philosophy is limited

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

The idea was that this was going to be news relating to all things pseudoscientific (hence the section in which it was originally placed), but okay...

The website forgot to mention the sunk cost fallacy (i.e. choosing to stick with something because effort/money has already ben poured into it, even though dropping it in favour of something else would clearly be a superior choice), bulverism (assuming that somebody is wrong and suggesting that their view is the result of, i.e., a psychological disorder) and a couple of others but, other than that, it's pretty much spot on.

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
Sorry, I just think that being able to identify logical fallacies being used in an argument help protect people from woo, etc

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Dead or alive: The curious case of Ashutosh Ji Maharaj http://news.oneindia...aj-1411501.html   Doctor's say he's dead. His disciples say he's in a deep transcendental meditation. And they keep him in the freezer.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,838 posts

Yeah this PETA nonsense knocked me out today morning. Just WOW how stupid and evil this organization is...

they kill about 80% of dogs and cats in shelters, even those who are good candidates for adoption.  

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

SkyHize

SkyHize

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

they kill about 80% of dogs and cats in shelters, even those who are good candidates for adoption.  

Anyone remembers this?

<When on a mission to rescue the princess, Mario has been known to use any means necessary to defeat his enemy—even wearing the skin of a raccoon dog to give him special powers.

Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur. Play Super Tanooki Skin 2D and help Tanooki reclaim his fur>

I still have doubts about this, i wonder if they decided that it was a joke after the shitstorm they got in.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,921 posts

2-year-bitch-long-bump!

I think I've found it.

IT.

You know what "it" is. 

It is it.

It is all.

It is the end.

It is the dumbest conspiracy theory in human history.

WORLD WAR 2 NEVER HAPPENED

It's just a hoax to kill white Christian males. 

https://www.reddit.c...r_happened_not/

Literally: World War 2 never happened. 1939 to 1945? I mean, stuff happened, but it wasn't World War II.

Also, the American Civil War is a hoax.

And the moon? Yeah? That never existed in the first place. It's a hologram made by NASA. Yes. You read that right. Either NASA achieved time travel and created this hologram thousands of years in the past, or they hoaxed all the stories and legends about the moon too. 

The scariest thing is that this guy isn't joking. This isn't satire. He's actually serious. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,921 posts

Coronavirus is bringin' em out.

Wky0kZS.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Conspiracy, Woo, Pseudoscience, Alternative Medicine, Fad Diet, Astrology, Global Warming Denialism, Germ Theory Denialism, 9/11 Conspiracy, Logical Fallacy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users