Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

US shale boom is over, energy revolution needed to avert blackouts

Peak Oil Resources

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

http://www.theguardi...outs?CMP=twt_fd

I hate to say I told you so, but...

In 2012, the International Energy Agency (IEA) forecast that the US would outpace Saudi Arabia in oil production thanks to the shale boom by 2020, becoming a net exporter by 2030. The forecast was seen by many as decisive evidence of the renewal of the oil age, while informed detractors were at best ignored, at worst ridiculed.

Among my many reports exposing the geological and economic fallacies behind the shale boom narrative are this, this, this and this.

Well damn... this just made my day even worse.

What difference does it make?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Well when the blackouts occur, there will be an energy revolution, and it may or may not be civilized.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Interesting.... if this article is credible and makes it on to a major news site then it's likely that you would see a lot more solar in the US.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationCanada

Not sure if I should be ecstatic or scared about this. On one hand we might finally see the end of the oil age, but on the other we could also see widespread unrest if energy demands cannot be met. What a time to be living in.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Nobody seems to be paying attention to the elephant in the room.

When your oil supply is so far gone that you're suffering blackouts, there's a good chance we can wave goodbye to industrial civilization.

Longer term we might even go extinct.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Nobody seems to be paying attention to the elephant in the room.

When your oil supply is so far gone that you're suffering blackouts, there's a good chance we can wave goodbye to industrial civilization.

Longer term we might even go extinct.

Probably not, I bet.

At that point, there would be HUGE population drops, yes.

But there would still be some energy left, and the oil tycoons' power would have all but disappeared since they can't meet demand. When that happens, most resources would be diverted to creating more sustainable power systems, and there would be pockets of civilization left around the world; city states, rationing solar, wind, nuclear, and hydroelectric power, devoted to rebuilding the global world.

It would set us back considerably, and it would be our darkest hour, but we would rebuild. Only the strongest, wisest, and most well-informed would survive such an ordeal. It would be by no means the end of humanity, but we would finally break free and get our priorities straight, and colonize the solar system even.

I tell you, this whole Negative Nancy thing you've got going on... it has to stop. It's so easy to despair at the first sign of trepidation, but it takes courage to believe in the power of humanity. The only reason we're here today is because humans are adaptable as f*ck. We can make it, we just have to try.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I tell you, this whole Negative Nancy thing you've got going on... it has to stop. It's so easy to despair at the first sign of trepidation, but it takes courage to believe in the power of humanity. The only reason we're here today is because humans are adaptable as f*ck. We can make it, we just have to try.

Sorry. It's just that some of my friends are having a rough time (one of them seems to be suicidal right now), so I can't help but feel a bit down right now.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Sorry. It's just that some of my friends are having a rough time (one of them seems to be suicidal right now), so I can't help but feel a bit down right now.

I understand. Try to stay strong though. Depression is a clinical illness, so it's best to push them toward the direction of a professional.

In the meantime, go read in the park/backyard on a sunny day when you feel down! Exercise a bit! Have a good meal! The combination of vitamin D, exercise, and proper nutrition makes for a happy human and reduces stress, at least for me.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I understand. Try to stay strong though. Depression is a clinical illness, so it's best to push them toward the direction of a professional.

In the meantime, go read in the park/backyard on a sunny day when you feel down! Exercise a bit! Have a good meal! The combination of vitamin D, exercise, and proper nutrition makes for a happy human and reduces stress, at least for me.

Understood.

Ryan94

Ryan94

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
This whole forum are negative nancys.

"Oh humans are like, useless pathetic apes with no future. Lets all get buttfucked by our own AI and then just kill ourselves".
- The FT forum

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Well said, Glorious Leader.

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

This whole forum are negative nancys.

"Oh humans are like, useless pathetic apes with no future. Lets all get buttfucked by our own AI and then just kill ourselves".
- The FT forum

That was funny, but humor aside it provides no solutions.  Despite humor being the best medicine I would rather have a doctor.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,261 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

^

Agreed.

After previously, and arguably unnecessarily, severely panicking about peak oil back during the oil price spikes of the summer of 2008, I've learned that it is best to let events take their course and to ignore the doomsayers. Rather, let our politicians work their butts off figuring this out.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationCanada

If our civilization collapses because of these oil tycoons, who is up to hunt these bastards down once we regress back to the pre-industrial era? Anyone? Republicans are fair game too!

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

If our civilization collapses because of these oil tycoons, who is up to hunt these bastards down once we regress back to the pre-industrial era? Anyone? Republicans are fair game too!

Up first is your prime minister....

Paradosi

Paradosi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

You make it sound like the Democrats aren't just as much corporate apologists like the Republicans, they're just less overt.

The two parties in the US largely differ on rhetoric, in practice they're pretty much the same entity.

matthewpapa

matthewpapa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUSA

There will not be doom. There will not be blackouts.

Energy from these fuels will just become more expensive by the day until another source becomes more economical. We will not run out of energy any time soon, But we may run out of cheap energy until new energy sources become more widespread. We will learn to make do and adapt.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Peak Oil, Resources

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users