Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

History of Computers & Internet

Babbage Internet 1950s 1800s Antikythera Mechanism computing analog computing Alan Turing 1990s computers

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationLondon

The Internet in 1995

• Yuli Ban likes this

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
"technological fad" lol Thats no fad! (i want more of this on the early internet, specifically opinions of the early internet)

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
15 years later and the internet is STILL ridiculously primitive. I want the entire internet to be in 3d, voice controlled (with perfect translation with any accent), hand-gesture controlled, and virtual reality like the movie "Johnny Mnemonic." And oh, I want the internet to respond to my thoughts. I just want to think about what I want to happen and it happens.
  • waitingforthe2020s likes this
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
Actually the internet has evolved quite fast considering other electronics and other technological advancements. Most of what you are talking about prolite is on the verge of becoming created and/or are in beta testing stages right now. Facebook grew to become the largest website in the world in just seven years!!! Google Plus is growing even faster. Its just primitive to us future thinkers because we can think about what it WILL become later on. But it has grown significantly fast!
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

"technological fad"

lol Thats no fad!

(i want more of this on the early internet, specifically opinions of the early internet)

You got it:

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
Oh and this is great. A vision from 1969 about what the internet could have been like in their eyes:
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationLondon

Steve Jobs demos Apple Macintosh, 1984

This was 27 years ago. In 2038, we'll look back on computers of 2011 in the same way.

BxMHal8CQAAJzMi.jpg

• mic of orion and Yuli Ban like this

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon
ahead of its time, it took 10 years for others to catch up.
It's dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
I love early Apple days. Steve Jobs' autobiography comes out in November. But, anybody think that Apple has become the type of computer company Early Steve Jobs was trying to destroy. EG 1984-esq
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Why was everyone cheering and clapping when the words "Macintosh" came on the screen? I guess that audience was extremely brand loyal. The audience seemed very impressed with the technology. Whereas today, that technology is laughable. Actually, it's downright embarrassing. But to be honest Wjfox, in 27 years from now, our technology will far exceed the pace of technology that we've seen the past 27 years. In 20 years from now, quantum computers will be a reality and our entire world changes.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
They didn't know any better back then, what Apple would evolve into. Apple was a brand new company, for the most part. That was a first demonstration. Of course people are going to cheer for a personal computer that they can quote "actually use."

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
That was like the first time that ever happened.. i mean come on.. Hail to the worlds largest company (or it was for like 20 minutes a few weeks ago)

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

I guess that audience was extremely brand loyal. The audience seemed very impressed with the technology. Whereas today, that technology is laughable.

Just like every audience at every Apple expo or product release ever since. The launch of the iPhone is an especially cringeworthy event to watch.

~Jon

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
Apple triggers the same chemicals in brains as does religion.

http://articles.cnn....ains?_s=PM:TECH
  • wjfox likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationLondon

Apple triggers the same chemicals in brains as does religion.

http://articles.cnn....ains?_s=PM:TECH

Lol. :laugh:

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
I wonder what computers are going to be like in 30 years from now. Does anyone think they'll be as fast as the human brain?

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Steve Jobs quitted his position as Chief executive officer. Apple's never gonna be the same. Apart from what they say about Apple, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak built their revolutionary computer in that time in a garage. Jobs is one of people who created technology and the world we live today.

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Steve Jobs will likely pass away before the end of this year. He is very ill.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationLondon

Steve Jobs will likely pass away before the end of this year. He is very ill.

Indeed.

http://www.tmz.com/2...nation-ceo-sick

:sad:
  • Yuli Ban likes this

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
I don't like that picture. It is extremely sad. No one should have to suffer through cancer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Babbage, Internet, 1950s, 1800s, Antikythera Mechanism, computing, analog computing, Alan Turing, 1990s, computers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users