Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

History of Computers & Internet

Babbage Internet 1950s 1800s Antikythera Mechanism computing analog computing Alan Turing 1990s computers

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.

A project to construct one of the earliest mechanical computers based on sketches by its designer, Charles Babbage, has received a major boost.

Posted Image

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-15001514

That would be good to see for people who are interested in Babbages designs etc.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
Two 70-year-old papers by Alan Turing on the theory of code breaking have been released by the government's communications headquarters, GCHQ.

Posted Image

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-17771962

I think it is time to release these papers.

Edited by Time_Traveller, 19 April 2012 - 02:38 PM.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,062 posts
  • LocationLondon

Internet report in 1981

• Italian Ufo, zEVerzan and Yuli Ban like this

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

I love these.  They would shit if they knew I read--and watched--BBC news and Al Jazeera on my smartphone every morning while waiting for the bus.

• Cody930 likes this
Humanity's destiny is infinity

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

1981 a Great YEAR!

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

It took two hours!!?

Wow I always thought that even with connections dial-up or worse, if it was just text it was instant.  I guess I was wrong.

Out of curiosity I looked up the average Internet speed of 1981, but of course I couldn't find any information.  TCP/IP didn't even exist until 1982.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Nope, never was really instant :) Also, keep in mind that back then, if you connected to something via dial-up, you were paying by the minute, especially if you were connecting to one of the big networks such as Compuserve and AOL, especially if you didn't have a local number to call and had to pay long-distance fees. It was all done via front-end client software and browsers didn't even exist then. Speeds were slow and slower. Connections were never always-on like they are today with cable.

Here's another video along the same lines:

Notice how they simply say Internet?

Edited by Dead Redshirt, 09 March 2013 - 11:31 PM.

• Practical Mind likes this
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,062 posts
  • LocationLondon

A piece of Internet history. The oldest website. From 1993 -

http://info.cern.ch/...TheProject.html

• Italian Ufo, eacao, raxo2222 and 3 others like this

Pwaa

Pwaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationUK

It really is incredible how the web has evolved in just 20 years from being simple text based pages into what we have now.

• wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I wonder what pages on the internet will be like in another 20 years. By 2033, the internet will probably be built entirely for touchscreen devices.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth
I wonder what pages on the internet will be like in another 20 years. By 2033, the internet will probably be built entirely for touchscreen devices.

By touchscreen, do you mean mouseless? I love my computer mouse and I would never want to stop using computer mouses.

raxo2222

raxo2222

e^x

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationCanada, AD 2100, December 31st.

I'm older than Internet.

I wonder how it will look in next 20 years.

Edited by raxo2222, 26 May 2013 - 01:31 PM.

Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.* - A. Clarke
Any magic sufficiently analyzed is indistinguishable from technology.** - Somewhere from Internet

*Relatively, comparing to rest of world. Go back in time with modern tech. **Lets assume its working only in fantasy/simulated world. Go forward in time with unicorns.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

1h8gonmwck011.png?width=1080&height=565.

1977: 10MB Computer – only $5995

• wjfox, Casey, Yuli Ban and 1 other like this

Pwaa

Pwaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationUK

Amazing how far computers have come.  If they continue at this exponential improvement rate i can't wait to see what we have in 30 years time again.  That said, lets just hope our software design can keep up with the power, or else its going to be a little useless, if the videogame industry is anything to go by then it will struggle and hit a point where its too costly to develop anything that can take advantage of the full amount of power in decent machines, which is a huge shame.  Thanks capitalism once more.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Looking at this on my iPad, I find it incredible just how much computers have changed in just 36 years. The 20th century has to have been the most innovative century ever, just look at the year 1900 and compare it with 1999 in terms of technology, politics and everything else. So much changed, it's almost unbelieveable that it all happened in one century.
  • Italian Ufo and Yuli Ban like this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

I love this old advertisements

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Of course, This because we're moving in to the age of Aquarius which represent global brotherhood, Electronics, Intelligence, and Space travel. We were previously in the era pisces which was extremely spiritual and religion-oriented.

This era will be when mankind finally leaves the rock and explores the vast cosmos.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 12,999 posts
Amazing how far computers have come.  If they continue at this exponential improvement rate i can't wait to see what we have in 30 years time again.  That said, lets just hope our software design can keep up with the power, or else its going to be a little useless, if the videogame industry is anything to go by then it will struggle and hit a point where its too costly to develop anything that can take advantage of the full amount of power in decent machines, which is a huge shame.  Thanks capitalism once more.

Isn't capitalism the driver behind the development of such tech? People that wanted to make a buck was the drive.

Edited by Matthew, 28 June 2013 - 05:45 AM.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist." - Salman Rushdie

“He who dares not offend cannot be honest,” — Thomas Paine

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Only $5995 lol

Gotta love computer science

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Posted Image

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Babbage, Internet, 1950s, 1800s, Antikythera Mechanism, computing, analog computing, Alan Turing, 1990s, computers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users