Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

History of Computers & Internet

Babbage Internet 1950s 1800s Antikythera Mechanism computing analog computing Alan Turing 1990s computers

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
It's incredible, because money was worth more back then than it is now, so this would be like paying £30,000 for an iPad.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,511 posts
  • LocationLondon

Man working at analog computer, 1968

759px-Man_working_at_analog_computer%2C_

• SG-1, Cody930, Yuli Ban and 3 others like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,511 posts
  • LocationLondon

45 years from now, in the year 2058, our computers today will seem just as primitive.

• Yuli Ban and FutureOfToday like this

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK

in colour?

Innovation and Change are the most important things in life

The Future is worth waiting for..... - Kiran Appiah 2011

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

in colour?

They already had color photos in 1968.

• wjfox, Yuli Ban and FutureOfToday like this

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Imagine trying to run something simple like "Minesweeper" on that thing.

Crazy how far we have come, and yet like Will said, in 50 years from now computers the size of a blood cell will be much more powerful than computers such as our laptops or cellphones are today - the iPhone 5S seems primitive.

• wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

There's a good chance we won't even have "computers" in the year 2060. As computing shifts towards cloud computing and printable electronics allows you to have cheap HD displays, the "tablets" of today could just be cheap $5 screen displays with all your data hooked up to the cloud. just like non-internet flip phones are today!

What's interesting to think of: is the "cutting edge" tech of that era. There's always some "thing" that everyone wants, so what would that be? My bet: the new FIVR kit 2.0

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

There's a good chance we won't even have "computers" in the year 2060. As computing shifts towards cloud computing and printable electronics allows you to have cheap HD displays, the "tablets" of today could just be cheap $5 screen displays with all your data hooked up to the cloud. just like non-internet flip phones are today!

What's interesting to think of: is the "cutting edge" tech of that era. There's always some "thing" that everyone wants, so what would that be? My bet: the new FIVR kit 2.0

Atomic-molecular ultrahyper powerful Quantum computing!!   :prankster:  :prankster:  :prankster: :good:  :good:  :good:

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Amazing how far they advanced in just thirty years, considering this is what computers looked like in 1998:
Posted Image
  • wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

30 years ago was 1983 lol.

So.. amazing what they've done in 15 years!

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I was actually referring to 1998 as being 30 years after 1968, but I think the development in the past 15 years is even more impressive!

ralfy

ralfy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Given peak oil, global warming, and chronic economic crisis, we will probably be lucky if we can still manufacture or maintain computers.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,511 posts
  • LocationLondon

Why the Web Won't Be Nirvana

By Clifford Stoll
February 26, 1995

After two decades online, I'm perplexed. It's not that I haven't had a gas of a good time on the Internet. I've met great people and even caught a hacker or two. But today, I'm uneasy about this most trendy and oversold community. Visionaries see a future of telecommuting workers, interactive libraries and multimedia classrooms. They speak of electronic town meetings and virtual communities. Commerce and business will shift from offices and malls to networks and modems. And the freedom of digital networks will make government more democratic.

Baloney. Do our computer pundits lack all common sense? The truth in no online database will replace your daily newspaper, no CD-ROM can take the place of a competent teacher and no computer network will change the way government works.

Consider today's online world. The Usenet, a worldwide bulletin board, allows anyone to post messages across the nation. Your word gets out, leapfrogging editors and publishers. Every voice can be heard cheaply and instantly. The result? Every voice is heard. The cacophany more closely resembles citizens band radio, complete with handles, harrasment, and anonymous threats. When most everyone shouts, few listen. How about electronic publishing? Try reading a book on disc. At best, it's an unpleasant chore: the myopic glow of a clunky computer replaces the friendly pages of a book. And you can't tote that laptop to the beach. Yet Nicholas Negroponte, director of the MIT Media Lab, predicts that we'll soon buy books and newspapers straight over the Intenet. Uh, sure.

Read more: http://www.newsweek.....nirvana-185306

2kTRNfk.jpg

• Yuli Ban likes this

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably
Yet Nicholas Negroponte, director of the MIT Media Lab, predicts that we'll soon buy books and newspapers straight over the Intenet. Uh, sure.

He had me right up until this arbitrary skepticism right here. It's almost a joke, with a lead-up and a punchline!

• Yuli Ban, bee14ish and FutureOfToday like this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

http://www.futuretim...rnet-will-fail/

• Yuli Ban and bee14ish like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Of course the Web wasn't Nirvana. It's obviously Pearl Jam.

No good, too soon?

• FutureOfToday and La Bodysnatcher like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

No way.  It's Creed for sure.  You hate them because they are trying too damn hard to be U2 and you want to punch Scott Stapp in the face, but truthfully he could probably kick your ass, and when no one is looking, you do sing along to their music. 

The only thing we ever want is more

La Bodysnatcher

La Bodysnatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Of course the Web wasn't Nirvana. It's obviously Pearl Jam.

No good, too soon?

Even if the Web isn't Nirvana, it sure is an Oasis!

When you say "this is overrated" do you mean "I think this sucks?"

When you say "the majority hate it" do you mean "I hate it?"

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Yeah... it was funny the first time. And Oasis wasn't a grunge band. ;)

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Very interesting read.

Introducing a 27-year-old Computer to the Internet

• CamGoldenGun, SG-1 and Yuli Ban like this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Babbage, Internet, 1950s, 1800s, Antikythera Mechanism, computing, analog computing, Alan Turing, 1990s, computers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users