Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

History of Computers & Internet

Babbage Internet 1950s 1800s Antikythera Mechanism computing analog computing Alan Turing 1990s computers

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,576 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

TOP500 List - June 1999

9rdd8Ol.jpg

• Casey likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

tumblr_no59ux5YcN1roqv59o1_500.png

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

To think that was just 24 years ago...

tumblr_pbgjnujSIr1roqv59o1_500.png

• wjfox likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts

To think that was just 24 years ago...

tumblr_pbgjnujSIr1roqv59o1_500.png

You'd think that by 1995 anyone could see the writing on the wall. The WWW existed, browsers and e-commerce were in their infancy, and millions of people had personal computers.

With regards to the newspaper prediction: oddly enough, the New York Times website went online just one year later.

• wjfox, Casey and Yuli Ban like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

Way back in 1969

5xn1UZy.png

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

Check out this sad Hot Wheels computer straight from the '90s where it belongs. It's almost as cute as all those ugly beige box computers.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

TIL the first thing ever bought and sold across the Internet was a bag of marijuana. In 1971 or 1972, students at Stanford University’s Artificial Intelligence Laboratory used ARPANET—the earliest iteration of the Internet—to arrange a marijuana deal with their counterparts at the MIT

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

What became of virtual reality anyway? - November 14th, 2007

Wait wait....You mean virtual reality tech that's NOT crap? - January 23rd, 2008

Next Year’s E3 - Virtual Reality? - July 20th, 2008
What ever happened to virtual reality? - November 3rd, 2009
Whatever happend to "Virtual Reality"? - July 29th, 2010
Whatever Happened to ... Virtual Reality? - October 22nd, 2010

Here's a funny comment on VR and who will get to see it, from April 6th, 2009

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

A high-end computer from 1989

zxeQBmD.jpg

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
All for the very affordable price of (adjusting for inflation) $17,500! Weird that PCs wouldn't become mainstream until the 90s and 2000s.
  • Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

I actually found this on a post from /r/Vive titled "When someone says "VR is too expensive to become mainstream" I show them this picture"

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

"It will never become obsolete"

St9PMSl.jpg

Modern computers are literally a trillion times more powerful, but it's still not obsolete, oh boy.

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

bcf9e89ada992f4b87637e8b846a4150.jpg

1979 comes back for seconds with this electric brick.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

Let's jump back a full generation.

One BYTE of RAM from 1946

dnqGr0iZbu2fet8fyjNEtzti_5oLcjMcj0f_eEcP

HOLY ENIAC.

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

ENIAC Documentary. This digital computer from 1946 was actually ahead of its time.

The Transistor: a 1953 documentary, anticipating its coming impact on technology

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

2,000 Year Old Computer - Decoding the Antikythera Mechanism
Here's a substantial documentary on humanity's first known computer, dating back 2,300 years.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts

Blast from the past from 1996
zy2sty7exj331.jpg?width=576&auto=webp&s=

Reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.c..._they_had_14hz/

And hardware will continue to be the bottleneck for software.

That's just how it goes.

Pretty neat though, how from 1996 they were looking at 10-14fps , and now a little over a two decade we have consistent 60, 90, and even 120 fps displays.

Time aside, FPS isn't really a linear indicator of performance.

If we look at actual pixels pumped, it's insane, in 1996, the ATI Rage 1 was basically the graphics card of the day. The memory bandwidth of a Rage 1 was ~ 480 MBPs, the Memory bandwidth of a 2080ti (20 years later) has a memory bandwidth of 616gbps, over 100x faster.

That 14fps, if we were rendering the same thing today, would easily crack 1500fps.

A computer may render its display at no more than ten fps"

It seems to imply that computers did it even worse.

In the 90's there were "Virtuality" VR arcade machines though, and they could do VR at a whopping 20fps. However, those were big and expensive purpose-built machines with games optimized for them. It's not unlikely that the average gaming PC would not perform as well.

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,576 posts
Punch cards for the 1950 Census at the US National Archives and Records Adminstration warehouse. About 4GB.
IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg

• Erowind likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,548 posts

Bill Gates Thinks Steve Jobs Cast Spells On People - Here's What He Meant and Why It Matters

https://www.linkedin...-robert-glazer/

Introduction:

(LinkedIn) Talented leaders are quick to recognize other talented leaders. It wasn’t surprising when, on a recent appearance on Fareed Zakaria GPS, Bill Gates discussed the inspirational leadership of his contemporary, Steve Jobs.

Gates revealed that he has never met a person who rivaled Jobs’ ability for, “picking talent and hyper-motivating that talent.

But Gates added nuance to his praise of Jobs, referring to the Apple founder as a “wizard” who “cast spells on people,” mesmerizing employees with his vision and captivating the public. That ability to enchant people enabled Jobs to push his team to work arduous hours and withstand withering criticism from the founder.

“I was like a minor wizard because he would be casting spells, and I would see people mesmerized, but because I’m a minor wizard, the spells don’t work on me,” said Gates.

Gates calling Jobs a wizard is a great metaphor for his ability to inspire others and get the most out of them.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Babbage, Internet, 1950s, 1800s, Antikythera Mechanism, computing, analog computing, Alan Turing, 1990s, computers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users