Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

what is piotechnology and what will it do

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

jamesgera

jamesgera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

i might have misspelled it but according to the timeline by the 2070's atom size bots will start being available. 

much more smaller than nanobots. these new bots will be able to changer matter. 

what does this mean what could we invent with this tech. 

jamesgera

jamesgera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

sorry it is called picrotechnology

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
What is it: Magic
What will it do: Magic

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Actually, you can't do much with an individual atom. Atomic nuclei however can potentially do some really cool stuff, but that's femtotechnology.

What difference does it make?

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
probably picotech rather than picro as pico is smaller than nano
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

jamesgera

jamesgera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

probably picotech rather than picro as pico is smaller than nano

yer but what can picotech do that nanotech can't in the timeline it said it can create new forms of matter.

so what will this do will we be able to create new elements by the 2070's and pretty much change the laws of physics. 

jamesgera

jamesgera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

I don't know the topic very well, but I imagine atom-scale manufacturing techniques would create more powerful and efficient computers. Manipulating individual atoms ought to be useful for new-age computer designs like quantums. It might allow us to alter the inner workings of cells at an unprecedented precision. IBM has been able to spell out its logo using individual atoms

Spoiler
and efficient and large-scale manipulation of atoms could create new forms of communications technologies, storage techs etc. It could be used to create new metamaterials for various applications that include but are not confined to bending the EM spectrum. Perhaps it will allow us to create molecules by combining individual atoms, without having to go through complex chemical reactions to get to the end product. I don't know if that's possible or not.

It would also allow perfect-quality construction materials, I presume. If we were to build a space elevator at some point in the future, this technology could ensure that there were no imperfections in the strands of carbon nanotubes or graphene ribbons.

yer i just saw them saying we could change matter and create it. 

so i was just curious on what they meant because if you could control matter then you are basically a god

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

I don't know the topic very well, but I imagine atom-scale manufacturing techniques would create more powerful and efficient computers. Manipulating individual atoms ought to be useful for new-age computer designs like quantums. It might allow us to alter the inner workings of cells at an unprecedented precision. IBM has been able to spell out its logo using individual atoms

Spoiler
and efficient and large-scale manipulation of atoms could create new forms of communications technologies, storage techs etc. It could be used to create new metamaterials for various applications that include but are not confined to bending the EM spectrum. Perhaps it will allow us to create molecules by combining individual atoms, without having to go through complex chemical reactions to get to the end product. I don't know if that's possible or not.

It would also allow perfect-quality construction materials, I presume. If we were to build a space elevator at some point in the future, this technology could ensure that there were no imperfections in the strands of carbon nanotubes or graphene ribbons.

yer i just saw them saying we could change matter and create it. 

so i was just curious on what they meant because if you could control matter then you are basically a god

When Oppenheimer witness the first test of the atomic bomb he wrote in his journal, "I have become death". When this technology is realized it will seem a bit like the use of it is god like. The reality is that it will be just the next step in understanding the world we live in. We are already learning to manipulate individual atoms to a small extent but there will be a whole new set of rules that limit how powerful this technology can become. For example the energy required to scale up atomic scale operations  may rise exponentially making its use beyond a certain scale unfeasible.

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,574 posts
Actually, no, hold up. I confused picotech with femtotech.
Pico is okay, but the real magic starts down at the femtoscale.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

1. perfect replicators. which means, real scarcity of any known materials will truly be obsolete.

2. kill people swiftly before pain can even reach their the brain and leave no traces of evidence of the dead corpse whatsoever. 

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts

Alchemy perhaps? Could be done by adding or removing protons, neutrons, and electrons, which seems to be what picotechnology is. Yeah, I know we can already do thisi, but it's primitive and uneconomical. Also, maybe making new types of exotic atoms.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,574 posts

Again, that's femtotechnology. You'd need to be able to move protons to be able to achieve techno alchemy. That's femto scale engineering. Pico scale would be moving individual atoms, but not necessarily their individual parts. I mean technically you can do it; we're already messing with picoscale engineering with nanotech but it's inefficient at the moment. 

Glory of the quasars

Glory of the quasars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the sky, and probably even farther

Everything you can imagine, theroetically. For the next years though, we don't even know if Drexler nanomachines will be in the realm of fantasy or reality (due to issues created by atomic forces) so, well, this is really vague. We could reach picotechnology by 2070 or never reach it at all.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,574 posts

Everything you can imagine, theroetically. For the next years though, we don't even know if Drexler nanomachines will be in the realm of fantasy or reality (due to issues created by atomic forces) so, well, this is really vague. We could reach picotechnology by 2070 or never reach it at all.

Thermodynamics dictates that we can't create nanomachines.

Despite this, there are nanomachines all around us, though we tend to call them viruses, bacteria, and cells. Also, we've developed nanomotors and nanoengines  of various efficiencies and nanostructures. To be perfectly honest, it's all really a matter of creating a shell and nanocomputers because we've already developed all the parts.

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Despite this, there are nanomachines all around us, though we tend to call them viruses, bacteria, and cells. Also, we've developed nanomotors and nanoengines  of various efficiencies and nanostructures. To be perfectly honest, it's all really a matter of creating a shell and nanocomputers because we've already developed all the parts.

Are you sure of what you say? Which law of thermodynamics would oppose nanomachines?

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

Traditional engineering techniques tend to be effected to an increasing degree by the affects describe in the laws of thermodynamics as the machine decreases in size. As for those comparing any future technology to magic, a magicians tricks become slightly less magical if you know how it is done. For those who have been comparing it to alchemy I remind them that we have been able to turn lead in to gold for 3/4 of a century now.

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,574 posts

Are you sure of what you say? Which law of thermodynamics would oppose nanomachines?

Second.

http://rationalwiki..../Nanotechnology

Then again, it's RationalWiki, which is fast becoming the liberal version of Conservapedia.

• CyberMisterBeauty likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,117 posts

Second.

http://rationalwiki..../Nanotechnology

Then again, it's RationalWiki, which is fast becoming the liberal version of Conservapedia.

Still, it is nowhere near as bad as conservapedia. But maybe I just think that because I'm not conservative...

BTW, I found an old thread discussing attotechnology ( http://www.futuretim...ogy-and-beyond/ ). I'm skeptical; I think an attometer is smaller than any known particle so there'd be nothing to manipulate.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,574 posts

^^ If we find a way to manipulate energy itself, then attoscale engineering may be possible.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 7,009 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Attoscale engineering will make Merlin look like an amateur alchemist.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users