Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

How do your friends and family react to discussion about the singularity?

singularity athiesm Luddite the future intellegence amplification

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Different friends get freaked out over different technologies. Some hate VR. Others hate AI. But I frame the discussion in terms of their interests. 

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

"Impossible. Machine can't be smart, Allah can only make smart" or "Artificial Intelligence is impossible, Allah says so. It is known."

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
they don't, because I never talk about it to people since the majority out there have the attitude of "well I know you've been reading about these things on a daily basis for the past two and a half years, and the technologies you're talking of never entered my vocabulary until 30 seconds ago, but you're completely wrong anyway and everything you've just said is complete bullshit lolz"
  • ironland likes this

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

I never talk about it really, accept for my parents and a few close friends. My parents seem to be somewhat interested, but I'm usually met with ignorance whenever I bring it up with friends.

• ironland likes this

SkyHize

SkyHize

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Didn't go that well.

jamesgera

jamesgera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

oh i don't my family don't think about stuff like that for example i tried explaining to my dad that with the way medicine and technology is going he could live past his hundreds he is 57/58 now.

but he did not believe in the idea that people could live that long or that immortality is possible. 

i think i am the only guy who does have a interest in future related topics or science 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,663 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Mother thinks it's all sci fi, and most of my friends (most) fall back on Terminator.

I've never watched The Terminator, because I thought it would just make me irritated. Maybe I'll watch it some time soon.

Truth be told, it really is fuckin' epic. But because I approach it with an open mind, I think "this is one possibility, not the only possibility." That's what most people forget, mainly because Hollywood has programmed them to not consider other possibilities.

Case in point, Americans and World War II. You talk to any USican about WWII, and I can assure you that they only know three things

1- Some Charlie Chaplin-lookalike/The Second Antichrist took over Nazi Germany, but Nazi Germany is overflowing with American democracy and hot blondes with booze today

2- A whole bunch of Jews were cooked in ovens in the largest mass murder in history/third largest behind Hitler's chums Stalin and Mao, of whom he greatly respected

3- Murika singlehandedly WHOOPED their muthafukin' ass so hard the second we entered that the Germans were running in fear, and when we killed Hitler/he escaped to Antarctica to help compose the NWO's plans, the Russians cut us off and that's how we got in the Cold War.

It's stupidly scary how little I'm exaggerating. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Guest_Northward_*

Guest_Northward_*
  • Guests

Yuli Ban you are a conspiracy theorist??

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

How's that a conspiracy? That's pretty much what Hollywood does, make a movie full of stereotypes and expect the people to like and believe in it. Though about Yuli saying every UScian, not everyone. How about us and the few sensible people around the USA?

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

kre8noys

kre8noys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in time.

I can't really talk about this stuff with all my friends.... most of them are not interested in what i have to say, they're just way to pessimist, one of them used to think we won't make it till 2100...but i managed to knock some sense in him....now i can have fairly good conversations about tech and space with him, another one is a catholic " stuck in the past, evolution is just a theory" type, i really can't have any intelligent conversation with him, he's too biased, too closed and really listen only to what he wants to hear. With friend i'd say 50 % of the time i'm having very nice conversations.

As for my parents, they are a bit afraid of the more technological culture we're becoming, but they're not too pessimist (mostly my mom), they don't really like the idea of technologies inside our body.

Guest_Northward_*

Guest_Northward_*
  • Guests

How's that a conspiracy? That's pretty much what Hollywood does, make a movie full of stereotypes and expect the people to like and believe in it. Though about Yuli saying every UScian, not everyone. How about us and the few sensible people around the USA?

Okay, I didn't read it carefully. Whoops

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,759 posts

In other forums I have been shocked by the ignorance regarding World War II.  Some young folks remember Stalin's initial alliance with Hitler, but then don't realize that eventually Russia fought Nazi Germany tooth and nail. They are so taken in with the concentration of Hollywood movies on the U.S. role in the war that they seem to think we won the war with only a little help from Great Britain and the French underground. Even those who remember Russia's role in the war I think would greatly underestimate their number of casualties versus what the U.S. suffered, or how many Germany soldiers died on the eastern front. Of course, I had the advantage of vacationing with my German speaking mother in Germany, where I met an aging veteran who fought in the eastern front  and chatted with me a little about his experience as a survivor of that ordeal.

Back to the main subject of the thread, it reminds of an early principle I learned about computers: Garbage In, Garbage Out.  What good would an advanced AI be if it was programmed to be in denial of the holocaust or global warming?

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Soundwave

Soundwave

Am I banned now?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

My father thinks its non-sense that anything good will happen in the future and thinks society was best off without technology. He also believes that the future will either be like terminator or 1984. My mom believes in the same thing.My friends just listen and say they don't care

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,663 posts

My opinion has grown ever more firm ever since I came across this thread on the KurzweilAI forums

http://www.kurzweila...al-acceleration

google posted some videos of project tango. showing people using augmented reality and the like.

a person left a comment on the video... 'more like in the year 3016'

several people (including myself) then informed this person that the new lenovo phone with project tango was already on sale.

and the person was shocked. SHOCKED.

People not only are unaware of where technology is, but they think technology that we already have TODAY is like fifty years in the future. It's NUTS

I've been saying this for some time about my mother— she's just like the Average Joe, and Average Joe is 10 years behind the present. She has no clue that there are autonomous vehicles on the road, or that I could buy a social home robot for $2,000. She only just learned about Gear VR because I forced her to come with me to Best Buy, and I've said many times that she experienced futureshock in 2014 when I got my Parrot AR drone. 

That's what most people are like right now. Bring up things like the passenger drone, Pepper, Oculus or Vive, Magic Leap, SpaceX, Tesla Model 3, DeepMind, Watson, hyperloop, Emotiv Insight, brain-to-brain communication, or Boston Dynamic's many droids, and they'll say "That's something for the 2100s/3000s/a million years from now." 

Average Joe is still getting used to smartphones and social media. Dumping the past 3 years of sci-tech on him will unleash a terrible case of futureshock.

• Casey likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,663 posts

Here's yet another update, as we are now living in times where even my Luddite mother isn't so against the idea of things like autonomous cars. She didn't even know AVs existed a couple years ago, and her kneejerk reaction was that no one would want to give up driving. My kneejerk reaction is that 1.3 million people are forced to give up driving— as well as everything else— each year whether they want to or not.

Regardless, things are moving ahead. I know that several alt-right degenerates (e.g. Mark Dice, last I checked) think anything and everything to do with robotics and AI is evil. At the same time, there are other right-wing types who are joining the cause of stamping out antihumanism wherever it arises, meeting up with the left-wing to see what is finally there— we're living in a world that isn't even like the world of 2014 anymore. 

The United States Space Corps is now a thing, for example. It's become a thing only in the past week. It'll become an official branch of the military in 2019. Space has long been the table upon which the common man placed his ideas of the future— returning to space in any way, shape, or form will bring The Future™ back into public consciousness and force people to accept that the times have changed.

And this is when I expect to see "acute futureshock".

LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationNashChat

The singularity to my family, is how many jobs are lost do to robots. Even public key, they comment on how behind they are on stuff.

Very isolating. But at least they respect my interests.^ ^

Cerebrum Cerebellum -- Speculative Non-Fiction -- Writing

Luna Network -- Nodal Sneaker Network -- Programming

Published Works: https://www.wattpad.com/432077022-tevun-krus-44-sword-planet-the-intergalactic-heads

Wolfbane

Wolfbane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHarja
Not only driving, but all other crafts now are giving way to the new order of things.

Remember this is no script. This is our reality, and reality is far more precious than a story.

To Man, the Singularity still is but a story. Something he cannot believe until he has seen with his own eyes...

But Nature abhors a vacuum. And black holes are hard to spot for they are an absence of the light. When shall we cross the event horizon?

What is it to fear? If death is an end, then so be it. For there is no pain in that, except the pain that is left to the living. And if death is not an end, then what more than a wonderful journey...

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Not only driving, but all other crafts now are giving way to the new order of things.

Remember this is no script. This is our reality, and reality is far more precious than a story.

To Man, the Singularity still is but a story. Something he cannot believe until he has seen with his own eyes...

But Nature abhors a vacuum. And black holes are hard to spot for they are an absence of the light. When shall we cross the event horizon?

That's how your family reacts huh? Who woulda thunk. 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Wolfbane

Wolfbane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHarja

My pack has no conception of these things... Wolves know only Nature, and the Singularity is not of Nature.

What is it to fear? If death is an end, then so be it. For there is no pain in that, except the pain that is left to the living. And if death is not an end, then what more than a wonderful journey...

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

My pack has no conception of these things... Wolves know only Nature, and the Singularity is not of Nature.

"The Singularity" might not be but a singularity certainly is. 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: singularity, athiesm, Luddite, the future, intellegence amplification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users