Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

How do your friends and family react to discussion about the singularity?

singularity athiesm Luddite the future intellegence amplification

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Wolfbane

Wolfbane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHarja

Indeed...

What is it to fear? If death is an end, then so be it. For there is no pain in that, except the pain that is left to the living. And if death is not an end, then what more than a wonderful journey...

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

Fighting Corporations since 2020

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationNot in Kansas anymore

Neither of my parents believe that computers could replace us in cognitive tasks, and that we don't stay a capitalist state, that we will suddenly be communist or something(hes 55)

John Lennon dares you to make sense of this

Spoiler

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

I tried to explain the concept but  "yes, interesting... yawn... but has nothing to do with our real life".

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

I bring it up, but honestly the discussions are kind of pointless because I've thought about these ideas so much that there is very little insight they can offer me in return. I know this sounds like something someone would say on /r/iamverysmart , but it is just true for any subject that one person knows much more than the other person. It becomes a lecture and the other person becomes bored or feels like they have little to offer - my friend does the same to me except on history. It's great when I meet someone with the same interests or offers a new perspective though. 

This is a large reason why I frequent these forums.

• Casey likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: singularity, athiesm, Luddite, the future, intellegence amplification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users