Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who hired the college graduate to redesign Future Timeline?

Site Update Appearance Logo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you content with Future Timeline's new look? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you content with Future Timeline's new look?

1. Yes. I think the new look is great. (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Yes. But I think it needs some improvement. (8 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. No. I'd prefer a completely different new look. (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. No. I miss the old look. (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. I'm unsure. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

futureToaster

futureToaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Future Timeline,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

First I'd like say thanks for existing :) I've been following this site on and off for the last 4 years, it's always been a great place to pick up on upcoming technologies and predictions.

A particular point I've often appreciated has been the provision of relevant links and references to the material presented. This has always made the site seem legitimate and professional.

My opinion isn't worth much, given my 100% lack of credibility. Nonetheless, I was disconcerted to find that the new look of the website (forum exempt) now resembles the many 'garbage' information sites out there and lacks the professional lustre it once had.

I know this is a harsh opinion, and that a lot of work has doubtlessly gone into the redesign. It's just unfortunate to see a site I once so highly respected taking on the appearance of a gossip/garbage website, the likes of which you'd only normally see if you had clicked on an ad that you would normally avoid.

A couple of specifics:
- Large empty spaces. Everywhere. Exhausting to look at and scroll through.
- Uninspiring colour palette. White, pale blue. Everywhere.

- Very large font sizing used for Headers throughout the site.

- Very large Timeline, Blog and Resources Tabs on the Homepage.
- The main animated logo. It looks like something I would have produced early in High-School.

A meeting half way solution could be to provide a theme changer at the top of the website.

All this may sound like I have a foot up my ass. But I'm just being straight up honest.
As a technical artist myself, I appreciate feedback on my work. It's up to you to decide if the feedback is worth anything.

I don't normally post on anything on the net, as I prefer to remain an observer. It's just in this one case that my disappointment has overcome my willingness to adapt.

I'm a past web designer myself with 4 yrs now in the vfx feature film industry. Just to sort-of let you now where this user's head's at.

Thanks for hearing me out. Here's cheering for the advancement of this website in all the best ways.

Cheers,

T.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationCanada

Do you think you could post a prototype of what you would like to see? I like the flash animation on the front page but I do think things can always be improved!

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
I liked the one with the multicolored circles that scrolled slowly. Actually I like the black and minimalist look.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-
The old one seemed old for a futurist site. I don't mine the look of a "garbage/gossip" site. I just think it needs more animation.

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
I like the colours used on the site. The animation is good. Perhaps though, that may be because I'm over thinking it. I always think of those arrows representing the future, and how time is always moving on.
The tabs for timeline, blog and resources aren't TOO large. It isn't as if they're dominating the page. And besides, you don't want them too small, that they won't be seen.

Of course, that said, there's always room for improvement.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

Patronising thread title; I won't dignify it with a response.

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

Patronising thread title; I won't dignify it with a response.

Lol, that's what I thought. Your layout is ok, though like most, prefer a color change. That will suffice the most.

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

futureToaster

futureToaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Do you think you could post a prototype of what you would like to see? I like the flash animation on the front page but I do think things can always be improved!

I'd risk appearing even more conceited if I did haha :)

You're right in that I should back myself up, it's easy to criticize when you have no intent to contribute.

I'm on 80+ hrs atm, and trying to spend my downtime away from glowing screens.

As a quick reference National Geographic's website should serve well-enough. (http://www.nationalgeographic.com/)

Clean-cut and professional, one look at the layout, colour scheme and theme and you immediately get the impression that the information is going to be legitimate, and taken seriously by those in the relevant scientific community.

All primary points of navigation are located in the same general area at the top of each page for ease of use.

Whitespace/spacing has been utilised to remove clutter, but is not so great as to distract from actual content.

Larger graphics have been used to interest children and the general public, but are not so large as to again distract from the actual content.

I'll leave the above open to interpretation though as everyone's perspective is ultimately different.

The title was used to generate attention. No offence intended, but I still believe it holds water as a statement.

My primary objective was the above poll, to get a general community consensus and for it to act as a catalyst for change if the community deemed it wanted.

If no more feedback is directed at me, I'll shuffle on back into the wallpaper.

Thanks for all the hard work already admin.

Cheers, T.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

there should be a choice for: i dont really care how it looks.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

I agree with you to an extent but I think you went around this the wrong way and because of this you won't get the responses you want.

Few things to bear in mind

- I don't think this website gets huge traffic, and I seriously doubt Will makes much money from it. Comparing it to National Geographic is kind of ridiculous. This is more of a hobby project that he does in his spare time. That being said I'm sure he's seeing quite a lot of growth here with more futuristic ideas becoming mainstream.

- If you want to help why didn't you PM him instead of making this thread? I'm pretty sure Will isn't a web designer himself, and it's kinda obvious he doesn't want to pay someone thousands of pounds to redesign the main page (it's fairly simple, although perfectly functional).

I think you overestimate the amount of people involved in this project, until recently he didn't even have any active moderators. I know of many websites that are purely forums with far more administrative help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Site, Update, Appearance, Logo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users