Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How advanced do you hope the world will be when you are old?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Can we please try to get this back on topic?

Hey, I'm glad I was able to create a good thread, one that spawned a pretty good argument, but there isn't much more to talk about. It was a simple question, and people answered. 

As for my answer, I may say that what I want to see is life-extension technology. I might hem and haw about the singularity, about AGIs and recursive technological improvement. I may make mention of generation ships carrying our descendants off to distant worlds to establish colonies. Hell, body-modding and virtual reality is practically here already.

However, what I really want to live to see is all of mankind's moral and ethical philosophizing rendered absolutely moot. I want to see the very concept of right and wrong abolished, so it no longer troubles us. Think about it. When you're mind-uploaded and living a virtual existence, what consequences do your actions have? Absolutely none. Every day is Groundhog Day. Charge the beach at Normandy. Commit every crime in the book. Rob a bank or three. Indulge in the most hedonistic of sensory extremes. Jump off a cliff and feel yourself go splat at the bottom. Do it a hundred times until you get sick of it and try something else.

And, just like that, millennia of heavy-handed moralizing and strictures and promises of punishment for following simple human impulses are made completely and utterly ignorable. Every solemn intonation from the mouth of every saint, irrelevant. Everything you've ever heard about respecting your elders and obeying authority and sticking up for your community, pointless. Every holy book? Burn it. Why, don't you see? It's both magnificent and ironic. In a virtual world, where tyrannical control is exercised upon every facet of one's life, an individualist-anarchist can truly thrive, completely ignorant of the invisible chains that bind them.

Actually, what I mean to say is, I hope the world is advanced enough that we finally get heists in GTA Online.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts
However, what I really want to live to see is all of mankind's moral and ethical philosophizing rendered absolutely moot. I want to see the very concept of right and wrong abolished, so it no longer troubles us. Think about it. When you're mind-uploaded and living a virtual existence, what consequences do your actions have? Absolutely none. Every day is Groundhog Day. Charge the beach at Normandy. Commit every crime in the book. Rob a bank or three. Indulge in the most hedonistic of sensory extremes. Jump off a cliff and feel yourself go splat at the bottom. Do it a hundred times until you get sick of it and try something else.

And, just like that, millennia of heavy-handed moralizing and strictures and promises of punishment for following simple human impulses are made completely and utterly ignorable. Every solemn intonation from the mouth of every saint, irrelevant. Everything you've ever heard about respecting your elders and obeying authority and sticking up for your community, pointless. Every holy book? Burn it. Why, don't you see? It's both magnificent and ironic. In a virtual world, where tyrannical control is exercised upon every facet of one's life, an individualist-anarchist can truly thrive, completely ignorant of the invisible chains that bind them.

This only works if everyone is in their own virtual world. If people go to the same virtual world like we all go to the same internet, then there are still rules.

Spacekitty

Spacekitty

Dusk Cypher - Instigator of Transcendence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationHuman Shell Unit Version 1.0

Just because we live in a machine, doesn't mean there wont be consequences if one does something wrong to another. And wouldn't it be better to just extend the human lifespan tenfold what it is and create for ourselves new bodies to inhabit rather than permanently being inside a machine? We can still visit these worlds with VR and everything as well meaning we can just enjoy the best ofboth worlds and still retain our humanity. What you talked about there beeish ws the end of all that man has built. We'd become that which isn't human, and that scares me. What if we did this to ourselves without even realising it, crushing the lives of men, women and children? Wouldn't itjust be better to stay human and just use VR and AR?

If we remain in this world and not the virtual one of our own creation, then we stand a better chance of surviving  as a species in my opinion.

I will instigate the singularity!

JDJ5585

JDJ5585

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Most people who grew up with TVs being the new technology of the day are out of their minds over the technology they see today, and they're the ones who realize that the innovations are happening faster. I'm 29. I honestly believe that by the time I grow "old" (and what is that, even?), the idea of being elderly may be on the verge of disappearing. 20 years ago, we never had a computer in my home. Now I have one in my pocket. 20 years from now, we'll have other technology that will have advanced even farther even faster. But I won't be dead by 49 (hopefully). Maybe not by 69. And 40 years from now, I think we'll have made insane life extending technology available to all. Of course, I could be wrong.

http://www.memyselfandrobot.com/blog/ - Check out MMR: Ever wondered where technology will lead us? So many branches are on the brink of revolution. Me, Myself, and Robot is dedicated to sharing news and information about current technologies, and contemplating theoretical future technologies.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

If I'm not mistaken, It'll be about 30 years before halting aging becomes possible. Maybe 40 before it is available to the masses.

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

If I'm not mistaken, It'll be about 30 years before halting aging becomes possible. Maybe 40 before it is available to the masses.

And you're saying this based on...?

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

We've already done some significant work on this. How many decades can it really take?

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

We've already done some significant work on this. How many decades can it really take?

Depends. If IT hits a wall, every other field of science slows down. So, assuming we can't do anything about the end of exponential growth 10 years from now, it might take many more decades to achieve any worthy result.

JDJ5585

JDJ5585

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I, for one, think it's only a matter of time. I'm an optimist who plans to live to be about 500 :)

http://www.memyselfandrobot.com/blog/ - Check out MMR: Ever wondered where technology will lead us? So many branches are on the brink of revolution. Me, Myself, and Robot is dedicated to sharing news and information about current technologies, and contemplating theoretical future technologies.

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

I, for one, think it's only a matter of time. I'm an optimist who plans to live to be about 500 :)

I want to live for as long as physically possible in whatever form, may it be biological, synthetic, artificial or simple energy being, but we've got to be as realistic as possible in order not to have our dreams and hopes brutally crushed by the weight of reality. Let's wait and see, I say. If I had to bet on whether significant life extention was achievable during my lifespan, I wouldn't bet at all, because there are so many possibilities and different outcomes.

JDJ5585

JDJ5585

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I want to live for as long as physically possible in whatever form, may it be biological, synthetic, artificial or simple energy being, but we've got to be as realistic as possible in order not to have our dreams and hopes brutally crushed by the weight of reality. Let's wait and see, I say. If I had to bet on whether significant life extention was achievable during my lifespan, I wouldn't bet at all, because there are so many possibilities and different outcomes.

I don't really like that answer at all, but it's enlightened and intelligent enough that I can't debate it! So, I agree in a way.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Seriously?

Oh the techno-wankers on this website! Oh the closet communists! I'm going insane!

JDJ5585

JDJ5585

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Seriously?

Oh the techno-wankers on this website! Oh the closet communists! I'm going insane!

As long as you could keep your mental faculties and stay in shape, I'm not sure why anyone would turn down the opportunity. I'd like to live long enough to see space travel become cheap, and long enough to see another star system; that's all! At 29, it's really not as far out of the realm of possibility as you might think.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Seriously?

Very constructive comment! I hope you can contribute even more to this forum. I have never heard a well though out argument better than yours. The quality, the honor! You must be a genius! I'm curious on whether you are a professor of Cambridge university, giving revelations to the best and the brightest! It is an honor to have you sir, it really is!

JDJ5585

JDJ5585

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

?

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Just because we live in a machine, doesn't mean there wont be consequences if one does something wrong to another. And wouldn't it be better to just extend the human lifespan tenfold what it is and create for ourselves new bodies to inhabit rather than permanently being inside a machine? We can still visit these worlds with VR and everything as well meaning we can just enjoy the best ofboth worlds and still retain our humanity. What you talked about there beeish ws the end of all that man has built. We'd become that which isn't human, and that scares me. What if we did this to ourselves without even realising it, crushing the lives of men, women and children? Wouldn't itjust be better to stay human and just use VR and AR?

If we remain in this world and not the virtual one of our own creation, then we stand a better chance of surviving  as a species in my opinion.

I honestly don't get this line of thinking. I wouldn't turn down the chance to become better than human, I'll just see it as another evolution of man. Are you afraid of becoming emotionless or something? While I see your point, there's nothing to suggest that would happen. 

Seriously?

Hey man, you looked like a pretty decent debater earlier, don't drag yourself down into this bull. 

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-
Eh, I messed up on editing by pressing quote.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

?

Very bad sarcasm.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
My apologies. I was out of line.

JDJ5585

JDJ5585

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I intend to make a valiant attempt to avoid fighting with people on this forum until I've got a few hundred posts under my belt.

Feel free to place your bets on how quickly I fail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users