Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Teleportation

Teleport Teleporter Teleportation Transport Transporter Transportation Quantum Entanglement Quantum Teleportation

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
....quantum teleportation is not teleportation....it is transfer of information...

Why is this on the timeline as a way to teleport objects (like grains of sand in the 2080s)?????

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

....quantum teleportation is not teleportation....it is transfer of information...

Why is this on the timeline as a way to teleport objects (like grains of sand in the 2080s)?????

Lol, I think that's one of the older articles. But I think we can at least teleport something as small as that, but more likely in 2300 or so.

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

DallasCowboysFan

DallasCowboysFan

Life is Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, Alaska, in the land of NSA monitoring

If you teleported something, would the distance you could teleport it be restricted by your capabilities or could you send it anywhere in the universe? Or do we not really know?

"The best way to predict the future, is to create it."

For those not in the know, the Dallas Cowboys are an American Football team, and they are terrible. But I must stay strong.

Neil Degrasse Tyson is God.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Lol, I think that's one of the older articles. But I think we can at least teleport something as small as that, but more likely in 2300 or so.

Yeah it's old. And it should be removed. Why is your estimate 2300? There is no known way to teleport objects now, so how can we start making estimates?

Hell, we know how a warp drive will work, but we don't know how teleportation will work.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

If you teleported something, would the distance you could teleport it be restricted by your capabilities or could you send it anywhere in the universe? Or do we not really know?

How can we know something about a theoretical technology that

A: hasn't been invented yet

and

B: we have no way of knowing how it will work if or when it is invented?

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Yeah it's old. And it should be removed. Why is your estimate 2300? There is no known way to teleport objects now, so how can we start making estimates?

Hell, we know how a warp drive will work, but we don't know how teleportation will work.

Transversable gravity can work with the Gauss-Bonnet-Einstein gravity (an extension of General Relativity) without the need for negative-energy matter, a non-existent material.

As quoted from a study's summarization:

The third kind of solution are wormholes. Although vacuum solutions, they have the appearance of mass in the asymptotic regions. It is striking that in this theory, exotic matter is not needed in order for wormholes to exist- they can exist even with no matter

The study: http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0701152

The full study (if you read these kinds of things, I can't understand them. I haven't even been past junior highschool): http://arxiv.org/pdf...c/0701152v3.pdf

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

We kind of know. It's basically dissolving a materiel into particles, transport it quantumly, and assembling it together exactly as it was former. But of course it's inefficient and not a good theory, but at least that's how it works. By the time we reach the Singularity, we will have advance a lot, so that's why I put my bet in around 2300, but that's still conservative in my sense.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
1: Wormhole transportation is not teleportation. It is wormhole transportation. Just as car travel is not teleportation.

2: The "dissolving matter into particles and transporting them" is the basis for the Star Trek transporter, not reality. In fact, the Star Trek transporter actually kills the person who steps into it (it dissolves them into particles, that's called killing them). It simply creates a copy on the other end. This is shown in the TNG episode "Second Chances" where Riker is cloned by the transporter because it didn't destroy his original body!

Let's go to reality. Oh hey, if this was the method that they used in reality, it would kill you too! In Michio Kaku's TV series Sci-Fi Science, he tries to figure out how a teleporter would work. He admits that quantum entanglement wouldn't work. He then goes on to the whole "transferring particles" idea, but he actually then admits that all it would do is clone you!

Remove teleportation from the timeline.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Wormhole transportation is the (semi) closest thing to teleportation. 

The definition of teleportation according to wikipedia is:

"Teleportation, or Teletransportation, is the theoretical transfer of matter or energy from one point to another without traversing the physical space between them. "

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,574 posts
  • LocationLondon

In retrospect, that was quite a poor prediction. I have removed it.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

A body replicator can easily substitute for teleportation of matter.

Just instantly destroy the body and have the replicator remake the body exactly at the same time but at a far different location.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Just instantly destroy the body and have the replicator remake the body exactly at the same time but at a far different location.

Problem is, how will the consciousness transfer over? That's the whole point lol. 

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I am ecstatic that my feedback actually changed the timeline. :-D

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Yeah, but you destroy the body. So you die.

From HowStuffWorks:

It stands to reason, then, that every successful bio-digital teleportation would be an act of murder and creation. Each use would see the digitalization of your body's every detail, the creation of a genetic clone complete with all the travelers' memories, emotions, hopes and dreams. The original copy would have to die; that is, unless we're cool with the notion of duplicating ourselves every time we need to travel cross-country and committing infanticide each time little Jimmy heads to school.

And yes, wormhole transportation is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to teleportation.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,574 posts
  • LocationLondon

I am ecstatic that my feedback actually changed the timeline. :-D

FutureTimeline is a collaborative effort. :) The predictions aren't just mine – they're a result of people's feedback and discussions here. :)

Some of the predictions were made a while back (2008-2010), before I had a proper knowledge of certain tech/innovations. I've learned a lot since then, and continue to learn with each passing year.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

There are still a few cases of teleporting matter instead of information: the "Teleportation of complex organic molecules" entry in the 2038 section and a reference to "macro-scale teleportation" under Femtotechnology in the 2100-2149 section.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Teleport, Teleporter, Teleportation, Transport, Transporter, Transportation, Quantum Entanglement, Quantum Teleportation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users