Split up the subject discussion threads

Think the timeline needs editing, or have suggestions about the forum? Let us know!
Echo Mande

Split up the subject discussion threads

Post by Echo Mande »

I suggest splitting up the various XXX discussions threads into separate subforums with perhaps a general discussions subforum per forum. Grouping things in subject threads makes it IMO impossible to really keep track of things and you know, discuss them.
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Split up the subject discussion threads

Post by wjfox »

I was planning to wait a while, until the news forum has been re-populated with most of the old threads (which shouldn't be long now). And then, in the first post of each main subject thread, provide links to each sub-topic, so they're easier to find and keep track of. Same will be done for country or region-specific threads – I'll create a main stickified thread with links.

I think having so many sub-sections for "news" might detract somewhat from the main theme of our site, which is the future. Well, if we did that, perhaps the sub-forums could be made viewable only within the news forum, instead of visible on the front page (if you see what I mean?).
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

^In a manner similar to the SomethingAwful forums
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

There'd be some topics overlapping, though.

Electric vehicles would fall under both Energy/Environmental and Transport/Infrastructure, for example. Warp drives would fall under both Space and Physics. So we'd have to decide where best to put each thread.

But the more I think about this, the more these sub-forums make sense. It would certainly make browsing easier. And I greatly value readers' feedback – so if that's what most people want, then that's what we'll have. :)

I'll work on the new sections this weekend.