Forum style - light or dark?

Think the timeline needs editing, or have suggestions about the forum? Let us know!

Would you prefer a forum layout with darker or lighter colours?

Darker theme
90%
Lighter theme
No votes
Don't mind
10%

Total votes: 21

wjfox
Site Admin

Forum style - light or dark?

Post by wjfox »

Just a quick poll, to gauge the general preference for our forum style. We are currently on the generic phpBB layout.

As mentioned in the chat box, I did try to install a darker theme, but it seemed to be incompatible with phpBB 3.3.4.

I could try another one. Failing that, I may go through and manually change the coding (which might take a while).

Or maybe you'd prefer a lighter version? Let me know by voting in this poll. Thanks!
joe00uk

Re: Forum style - light or dark?

Post by joe00uk »

I'd prefer a darker theme (I think most of us would), but not if it ends up being more trouble for you than it's worth. Maybe whoever designs these themes will have some darker ones up to date for phpBB 3.3.4 soon.
raklian

Post by raklian »

Definitely dark.

It's not because I'm emo or anything, the white theme is so blinding I actually squint sometimes.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

I prefer the old forum's method of letting you choose.

I forget exactly when, but I shifted from dark to light sometime in the middle of last decade and can't really jive with the dark background anymore. It's POSSIBLE that's only because it was more difficult to make out the difference between "Unread Posts" and "No New Posts" from the main hub so I just subconsciously preferred light for that reason, but the brighter colors and white-and-blue color scheme are more appealing to me anyway. Reeks of sunny-side futurism as opposed to the grimier, more cyberpunk black and dark colors.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
waitingforthe2030s

Post by waitingforthe2030s »

Dark, it reminds me of the previous forums styling.
Lurking

Post by Lurking »

Dark theme
Internet used to be an escape from the real world.
Now the real world is an escape from internet.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

I do like the darker theme from the original forum but it would be nice to choose your background whether it's light or dark.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
erowind

Post by erowind »

I voted dark but Yuli's idea to have both is the best long term option imo
urdestan

Post by urdestan »

I'm probably in the same boat as others want, either a dark or light theme as a selectable option. Dark for me is not my favourite, but some wanted a dark theme, so it should be a choice for the user to prefer their own theme. Heck, if I like dark again, at least give me an option.