The final frontier: AI is now helping programmers to code (itself?)

R8Z

The final frontier: AI is now helping programmers to code (itself?)

Post by R8Z »

Github just recently launched the technical preview of their AI-based assistant for coding. I am super excited to start using it and by the looks of it, it's going to speed up most boring tasks a normal software developer has. Of course it's no silver bullet (yet), but I look forward to it!

https://copilot.github.com/
Your AI pair programmer
With GitHub Copilot, get suggestions for whole lines or entire functions right inside your editor.
Trained on billions of lines of public code, GitHub Copilot puts the knowledge you need at your fingertips, saving you time and helping you stay focused.
And, as always, bye bye.
R8Z

Re: The final frontier: AI is now helping programmers to code (itself?)

Post by R8Z »

Just wanted to drop by today to say that I've been using this almost daily. It helps when I am tired and just want to finish something. It get the right thing done and in our coding style like 50% of the time, it's nuts how good it is. The other 50% I code manually.

They way it works is that the human setups up the architecture and the function interfaces and the AI comes in and fills the functions with the implementations; if one is an experienced dev that knows beforehand what needs to be done it is easy to make it go towards some wanted direction and make use of it.
And, as always, bye bye.