Re: Synthetic Media & Generative AI News and Discussions

Post by spryfusion »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

AI generates high-quality images 30 times faster in a single step
https://techxplore.com/news/2024-03-ai- ... mages.html
by Rachel Gordon, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
In our current age of artificial intelligence, computers can generate their own "art" by way of diffusion models, iteratively adding structure to a noisy initial state until a clear image or video emerges.

Diffusion models have suddenly grabbed a seat at everyone's table: Enter a few words and experience instantaneous, dopamine-spiking dreamscapes at the intersection of reality and fantasy. Behind the scenes, it involves a complex, time-intensive process requiring numerous iterations for the algorithm to perfect the image.

MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) researchers have introduced a new framework that simplifies the multi-step process of traditional diffusion models into a single step, addressing previous limitations. This is done through a type of teacher-student model: teaching a new computer model to mimic the behavior of more complicated, original models that generate images.
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Powers

Post by Powers »

^^^ *trying English?

raklian

Post by raklian »

We're seeing glimpses of a future where anyone can make something approaching the quality of a Hollywood movie.

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

raklian wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 pm We're seeing glimpses of a future where anyone can make something approaching the quality of a Hollywood movie.

How to create your own Terminator film with AI?
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Five good artists I've been following stopped uploading anything because of AI and because of theft. Nothing AI-related I've been counting on for 15-20 years haven't come true yet. Things I didn't want have come true. Stupid sh*t is being done all the time. I've also unfollowed multiple artists who used to make beautiful art, but then started making extremely sexualised and horny art because of money.

No wonder I'm bitter and resentful of this stupid situation. It's a struggle even finding reasons to live every day to be honest.

So what, if there are 100 million stupid new 3-hour movies available for free for everyone every year? Will that really make human condition better?

But at the same time it's true that many videos, movies and various animated/live-action/documentary/science/technology series would greatly benefit from more and better quality art, renders, actors, voices, backgrounds, effects or automatic captions and translations.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

If your bar for AI advancement is "FDVR," no wonder you're disappointed. That's ages away.

I'm sorry to hear that your favorite artists are getting their stuff stolen. Must be painful to watch
So what, if there are 100 million stupid new 3-hour movies available for free for everyone every year? Will that really make human condition better?
Why assume they will be stupid? With AI, people can create custom stuff that they'd enjoy. Yes, it won't fix the world's problems or anything, but it's a cool thing to have. I could just as well rant about literally anything that isn't "solving world problems." Like most art, for the matter. Doesn't make it less valuable, though.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I see DALL·E 3 now includes an editing tool, for tweaking areas of an image.

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/905 ... ith-dall-e