Synthetic Media & Generative AI News and Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: Synthetic Media & Deepfakes News and Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

Also from https://digitalhumans.com/blog/what-is- ... echnology/
Deep fake technology has exploded in popularity since 2017. In a strange parody of Moore’s Law, the number of deep fake videos published online doubles every six months, according to one estimate.
Huh.

HUH! That's an interesting metric. I'll have to note that.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

I can just imagine a debate in the near future:

FutureTimeLiner (Hereinafter FuTL): Trump lied about this on many previous occasions. Here are some videos in which he repeated those lies:
(Appropriate Hyperlink)

Trump Fan: No, he never said those things. Those videos are deep-fakes.

FuTL: ...but that news source is highly respectable and would not engage in such fakery.

Trump Fan: Respectable in your opinion. It is obviously a source with a liberal bias and thus cannot be trusted.

FuTL: Well, what has Trump said on that topic that you believe came from him?

Trump Fan: Now you are just trying to play a game of "gotcha." I am not falling for that old liberal trick.

FuTL: So, in your mind, Trump can do no wrong.

Trump Fan: Now you are catching on...
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Instagram account taken over by imposter who posted deepfake video of Tampa man
Daniel Higgins knew something was up when he suddenly couldn’t log into his Instagram account and then discovered his password had been changed.

But he couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw a new post on his account: a video of man that looked and sounded just like him, telling all of his Instagram followers to buy Bitcoin.

“I just invested $300 into Bitcoin and got $10,000 back. Gotta try it,” the fake Higgins said in the video.

Suddenly, he received text messages from followers wondering what was going on.

That was weeks ago. Higgins has been trying ever since to regain access to his account. He says his attempts to convince Instagram to help have gone no where.

There’s no real person to contact, so Higgins has gone through the online procedure of alerting Instagram of the problem. He was even told by the system he would be sent a new password.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

^^^Well, yes, I suppose that is another aspect of the same problem. That is, that there really will be a proliferation of deep fakes. I guess my point is the absolute lack of trust that we will now have for media forms that we previously trusted. Yes, that is a problem that will cut both ways. Genuine videos that will be claimed to be fakes, and fakes that folks will accept as genuine. It is a problem that we need to be prepared for as a society. Future Shock, being what it is, means that we will most likely be caught flat footed once again.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

"TacoSpawn: Speaker Generation", Stanton et al 2021 {G}
This work explores the task of synthesizing speech in non-existent human-sounding voices. We call this task "speaker generation", and present TacoSpawn, a system that performs competitively at this task. TacoSpawn is a recurrent attention-based text-to-speech model that learns a distribution over a speaker embedding space, which enables sampling of novel and diverse speakers. Our method is easy to implement, and does not require transfer learning from speaker ID systems. We present objective and subjective metrics for evaluating performance on this task, and demonstrate that our proposed objective metrics correlate with human perception of speaker similarity.

This page contains a set of audio samples in support of the paper: we suggest that readers listen to the samples in conjunction with reading the paper.

Note that the TacoSpawn systems described in the paper extend a baseline Tacotron -- that is, they do not use any additional acoustic or prosody embeddings to improve the naturalness of synthesized speech.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »