Autonomous Vehicles News & Discussions

When will self-driving vehicles become common?

By 2025
3%
By 2030
25%
By 2035
36%
By 2040
22%
Only after the arrival of AGI
14%
Never
No votes

Total votes: 36

Yuli Ban

Re: Autonomous Vehicles News & Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

U.S. regulators on Thursday issued final rules eliminating the need for automated vehicle manufacturers to equip fully autonomous vehicles with manual driving controls to meet crash standards.

Automakers and tech companies have faced significant hurdles to deploying automated driving system (ADS) vehicles without human controls because of safety standards written decades ago that assume people are in control.

Last month, General Motors Co (GM.N) and its self-driving technology unit Cruise petitioned the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for permission to build and deploy a self-driving vehicle without human controls like steering wheels or brake pedals.

The rules revise regulations that assume vehicles "will always have a driver's seat, a steering wheel and accompanying steering column, or just one front outboard passenger seating position."
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

John Deere is becoming one of the world's most important AI companies
"When I asked Heraud if the “fully-automated farm of the future” was something that would arrive within the next decade or two, he replied: It’ll be here before the end of the decade."
John Deere has been in business for nearly 200 years. For those in the agriculture industry, the company that makes green tractors is as well-known as Santa Claus, McDonald’s, or John Wayne.

Heck, even city folk who’ve never seen a tractor that wasn’t on a television screen know John Deere. The company’s so popular even celebrities such as Ashton Kutcher and George Clooney have been known to rock a Deere hat.

What most outsiders don’t know is that John Deere’s not so much a farming vehicle manufacturer these days as it is an agricultural technology company. And, judging by how things are going in 2022, we’re predicting it’ll be a full-on artificial intelligence company within the next 15 years.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Turkey’s Karsan Is Building the Fully Electric Buses Customers Want, Today
by Kyle Field
April 27, 2022

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/04/26/tu ... ant-today/

Extract:
(Clean Technica) Located an hour outside of Istanbul in Bursa, Karsan has been building passenger vehicles and buses since it was founded in 1966. Their core business is the design and manufacturing of a full range of buses. Karsan also does intermittent contract manufacturing of passenger vehicles in a flexible factory arrangement that lets its business surge and contract as the business shifts over time...

Autonomous Transit

Shortly after building its first electric e-ATAK full-sized transit bus, Karsan brought on California-based Adastec and BMWi as partners to build a fully autonomous transit bus. Transit buses typically run static routes, from the depot along a predetermined set of stops and back, making them perhaps the ideal use case for a fully electric, autonomous vehicle. Autonomous vehicles have the potential to drastically improve the safety of vehicles while drastically lowering the cost of operation.

Karsan’s Autonomous e-ATAK is a fully electric, level 4 autonomous vehicle, capable of navigating on city streets as a full-sized vehicle, at full speed. The company made history as Europe’s first self driving bus with passengers when the first customer vehicle went into operation earlier this year in Stavanger, Norway. If early pilots of the technology are successful — and all signs point to that being the case — vehicles like the autonomous e-ATAK could unlock a future of low cost, zero emission transit with far fewer accidents. That is a potential game changer for cities in Europe and around the world.

I was shocked to learn that Karsan’s Adastec-powered autonomous vehicles only require about 1 month of localization, including mapping of the route, learning local signs, language, etc before being put into service. It’s an extremely rapid process for a technology that can drastically reduce the cost of operations for transit authorities. Using pre-mapped roads, Lidar, and cameras may seem strange when coming from the world of passenger vehicles, but because they run on fixed routes, this is an ideal implementation for transit vehicles.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Mercedes Drive Pilot Level 3 Autonomous Tech Officially On Sale In Germany
The two flagship models from Mercedes-Benz, the S-Class and the all-electric EQS, will soon be able to be ordered with conditional self-driving tech in Germany. Starting from May 17, the so-called Drive Pilot system will be offered as an extra-cost option for the two sedans, allowing the driver to hand the entire control of the machine over to the system under certain conditions.

The Stuttgart-based automaker became the first in the industry to receive international approval for Level 3 autonomous tech in December last year. Releasing the system on the market now becomes the next logical step and Mercedes will ask €5,000 for Drive Pilot on the S-Class and €7,430 on the EQS, respectively around $5,260 and $7,813 at the current exchange rates. These figures include both the required hardware and software and for now, no further subscriptions are needed
It’s important to note that Level 3 doesn’t mean a fully autonomous vehicle. The system used by Mercedes allows the driver to hand all driving tasks to the tech in heavy traffic or on suitable motorways in Germany with speeds of up to 60 kilometers per hour. Under these conditions, the driver can fully disengage from driving with the system controlling the speed and distance, as well as guiding the vehicle within its lane. More importantly, the system also reacts to unexpected traffic situations and avoids dangerous maneuvers.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Does The Tesla “Full Self Driving” Approach Have A “See-Saw Problem”?
by Zachary Shahan
May 15, 2022

Introduction:
(Clean Technica) Tesla fans are now well aware of Tesla’s approach to “full self driving,” but I’ll provide a super quick summary here just to make sure all readers are on the same page. Basically, at the moment, Tesla drivers in North America who bought the “Full Self Driving” package and passed a Safety Score test have a beta version of door-to-door Tesla Autopilot/Full Self Driving activated in their cars. If I put a destination in my Tesla Model 3’s navigation as I’m leaving the driveway, my car will drive there on its own — in theory. It’s not close to perfect, and drivers must vigilantly monitor the car as it drives in order to intervene whenever necessary, but it now has broad capability to drive “anywhere.” When we drive around with Full Self Driving (FSD) on, if there’s a problem (either a disengagement or if the driver taps a little video icon to send a video clip of recent driving to Tesla HQ), members of the Tesla Autopilot team looks at the clip. If needed, they re-drive the scenario in a simulation program and respond to the issue in the correct way in order to teach the Tesla software how to handle that situation.

I got access to FSD Beta several months ago (early October 2021). When I got it, I was quite surprised at how bad it was in my area. I was surprised since 1) I had seen a lot of hype about how good it was (including from Elon Musk and other people I generally trust when it comes to Tesla matters) and 2) I live in a really easy area for driving (a Florida suburb). When I started using FSD Beta, I was just not expecting to see that it had significant problems with basic driving tasks in a driving environment that’s about as easy as it gets. Nonetheless, I retained some hope that it would learn from its mistakes and from the feedback I was sending to Tesla HQ. Surely, it couldn’t be hard to correct some glaring problems and each update would be better and better.

I have seen some improvements since then. However, updates have also brought new problems! I didn’t expect that…
Read more here:https://cleantechnica.com/2022/05/15/do ... w-problem/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Carnegie Mellon Roboticists Go Off Road to Compile Data That Could Train Self-Driving ATVs
May 25, 2022

Introduction:
(EurekAlert) Researchers from Carnegie Mellon University took an all-terrain vehicle on wild rides through tall grass, loose gravel and mud to gather data about how the ATV interacted with a challenging, off-road environment.

They drove the heavily instrumented ATV aggressively at speeds up to 30 miles an hour. They slid through turns, took it up and down hills, and even got it stuck in the mud — all while gathering data such as video, the speed of each wheel and the amount of suspension shock travel from seven types of sensors.

The resulting dataset, called TartanDrive, includes about 200,000 of these real-world interactions. The researchers believe the data is the largest real-world, multimodal, off-road driving dataset, both in terms of the number of interactions and types of sensors. The five hours of data could be useful for training a self-driving vehicle to navigate off road.

"Unlike autonomous street driving, off-road driving is more challenging because you have to understand the dynamics of the terrain in order to drive safely and to drive faster," said Wenshan Wang, a project scientist in the Robotics Institute (RI).

Previous work on off-road driving has often involved annotated maps, which provide labels such as mud, grass, vegetation or water to help the robot understand the terrain. But that sort of information isn't often available and, even when it is, might not be useful. A map area labeled as "mud," for example, may or may not be drivable. Robots that understand dynamics can reason about the physical world.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/953376
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Cruise Can Finally Charge for Driverless Robotaxi Rides in San Franciscoby
Rebecca Bellan
June 1, 2022

Introduction:
(TechCrunch) Cruise, the autonomous vehicle unit of General Motors, has finally been given the green light to start charging fares for its driverless robotaxi service in San Francisco.

The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) voted Thursday to award Cruise with a driverless deployment permit, the final hurdle the company needed to jump to begin operating its autonomous ride-hail service commercially.

Cruise will be operating its passenger service at a maximum speed of 30 miles per hour between the hours of 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. on select streets in San Francisco, adding another one and a half hours to its current service. The company will need additional state regulatory approval to charge members of the public for driverless rides in the rest of the city, according to a Cruise spokesperson. These preconditions come as part of Cruise’s “passenger safety plan” that limits the service to overnight hours and doesn’t include the city’s dense urban core, according to the CPUC’s draft resolution.

“In the coming months, we’ll expand our operating domain, our hours of operation and our ability to charge members of the public for driverless rides until we have fared rides 24/7 across the entire city,” a spokesperson for Cruise told TechCrunch.
Read more here: https://techcrunch.com/2022/06/02/crui ... rancisco/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill