Autonomous Vehicles News & Discussions

When will self-driving vehicles become common?

By 2025
3%
By 2030
25%
By 2035
36%
By 2040
22%
Only after the arrival of AGI
14%
Never
No votes

Total votes: 36

andmar74

Re: Autonomous Vehicles News & Discussions

Post by andmar74 »

Tesla is not just a car company, if anyone was in doubt.

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

This Autonomous Solar-Powered Aircraft Will Fly for 90 Days Straight
Five years ago, a plane called Solar Impulse 2 flew around the world without using any liquid fuel. As you might guess from the name, the plane was solar-powered. It wasn’t the fastest—it took almost a year and a half to circumnavigate the globe, traveling 26,718 miles and stopping in 17 different cities. But it was a meaningful proof of concept, and a technological feat.

Now Solar Impulse 2 has a successor, with equally ambitious plans on the horizon. Skydweller, as the new plane has been appropriately dubbed, relies on the same basic technology as Solar Impulse 2, but will be autonomous and able to fly continuously for up to 90 days. And by autonomous, I mean there won’t even be an option to have a pilot sit in the cockpit and direct the plane, because there is no cockpit.

That frees up extra space that can be used for other purposes, though. Skydweller will be able to carry payloads of up to 800 pounds—and they’ll most likely consist of radar and camera equipment, as the US Navy is funding a demo of the aircraft as a surveillance tool for monitoring the whereabouts of ships.

I remember Solar Impulse 2. That was 5 years ago?!
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Baidu Pushing to Expand Robotaxi to 30 Chinese cities by 2023-2024
August 19, 2021 by Brian Wang
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2021/08/b ... -2024.html
Baidu plans to expand its robotaxi ride-hailing services across 30 cities in China in two to three years to serve a wider range of users. Robin Li, founder of Baidu, said at the 2021 ABC Summit.

Currently, there are about 500 test vehicles in the Baidu Apollo self driving program and they are the first Chinese company to surpass 10 million miles of self-driving data.

Baidu has been deploying autonomous driving solutions since 2013.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Musk says further down: FSD Beta 9.3 much improved. It's ridiculous.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

US probing Autopilot problems on 765,000 Tesla vehicles
Source: AP

By TOM KRISHER
DETROIT (AP) — The U.S. government has opened a formal investigation into Tesla’s Autopilot partially automated driving system after a series of collisions with parked emergency vehicles.

The investigation covers 765,000 vehicles, almost everything that Tesla has sold in the U.S. since the start of the 2014 model year. Of the crashes identified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as part of the probe, 17 people were injured and one was killed.

NHTSA says it has identified 11 crashes since 2018 in which Teslas on Autopilot or Traffic Aware Cruise Control have hit vehicles at scenes where first responders have used flashing lights, flares, an illuminated arrow board or cones warning of hazards. The agency announced the action Monday in a posting on its website.

The probe is another sign that NHTSA under President Joe Biden is taking a tougher stance on on automated vehicle safety than under previous administrations. Previously the agency was reluctant to regulate the new technology for fear of hampering adoption of the potentially life-saving systems.

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/technology-b ... 43d3a1c66c
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

I'm a bit worried about the public opt in request button coming soon.

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

FSDBeta v10 Unprotected Left Turns

Possibly better than V9, but there are some dangerous situations. It could be a big mistake to expand the FSD beta program to more drivers.