OpenAI News & Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: OpenAI News & Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Microsoft to Own 49% of OpenAI Once $10B Deal Closes

January 10, 2023

Reports have surfaced that Microsoft Corp. is in advanced negotiations to make a massive investment in OpenAI, the company behind the revolutionary ChatGPT chatbot. Insiders reveal that the deal could see Microsoft pumping in a whopping $10 billion, which would value OpenAI at an impressive $29 billion.

This means that the non-profit OpenAI Inc. could own a measly 2% while 49% will remain for other investors as Microsoft eats up the lion’s share.

This potential investment has far-reaching implications for the future of OpenAI and the broader AI sector. The decision to make Microsoft the majority shareholder could potentially change OpenAI’s initial goals of being open and accessible to the public, its namesake. It could also raise questions about the future direction and priorities of the organization and its products.

https://metaroids.com/news/microsoft-to ... al-closes/
ººº

Post by ººº »

Until now I thought OpenAI and DeepMind were the same company lol.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

wjfox wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:22 pm Microsoft to Own 49% of OpenAI Once $10B Deal Closes

January 10, 2023

Reports have surfaced that Microsoft Corp. is in advanced negotiations to make a massive investment in OpenAI, the company behind the revolutionary ChatGPT chatbot. Insiders reveal that the deal could see Microsoft pumping in a whopping $10 billion, which would value OpenAI at an impressive $29 billion.

This means that the non-profit OpenAI Inc. could own a measly 2% while 49% will remain for other investors as Microsoft eats up the lion’s share.

This potential investment has far-reaching implications for the future of OpenAI and the broader AI sector. The decision to make Microsoft the majority shareholder could potentially change OpenAI’s initial goals of being open and accessible to the public, its namesake. It could also raise questions about the future direction and priorities of the organization and its products.

https://metaroids.com/news/microsoft-to ... al-closes/
It's very sad that I have to place my hopes of a positive singularity onto a company that has no doubt caused the death of many in the third world and gets super profits by extracting value from sweatshops.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

"Once $92 billion in profit plus $13 billion in initial investment are repaid (to Microsoft) and once the other venture investors earn $150 billion, all of the equity reverts back to OpenAI."

Just yesterday I was commenting about how I see Microsoft taking over as reduced safety. This deal could of course be owners of OpenAI seeking more profits for themselves, but I like to think it is a sign they want AI to be safe and hence want full control over it.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

raklian

Post by raklian »

Look at the number of synapses Killer whales have! :shock:

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.