Post by spryfusion »

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: OpenAI News & Discussions

Post by wjfox »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

^^^ Yes and no. Certainly, a minimal level of material wealth is necessary.

This reminds me of some friends of mine with whom my wife and I have begun to spend more time. They are a very happy couple. He is most definitely entranced with products on the market such as flat screen TV, cell phone technology, etc. Having immigrated from the Philippines many decades ago, they now live a life of middle-class comfort. Still, I think part of their happiness stems from the wife's attitude. She is simply grateful for life as she finds it. Some of that is an embrace of modern society, and some of it is a love of nature. In large part, she is happy simply because she chooses to be happy. We can be optimistic or pessimistic about the future, but that should not stop us from enjoying the present. Easier for someone with a minimal amount of wealth at their disposal, yet in advanced countries that includes an overwhelming majority of persons. If you focus on the positive things in your life, you will be happy. If you focus exclusively on what can be improved, you can make yourself miserable. I think at least advanced countries have already achieved the level of wealth we need for such happiness.

This is an essentially conservative attitude, yet not so much so that it must preclude a desire to see greater social justice in the world. Both attitudes can coexist in one mind. There does remain the problem of inequality of wealth that forces many to live a less than middle class level of existence. All the improvements in AGI and consumer technology will not make an iota of difference if is hoarded by some at the expense of others. Making the pie bigger only works if the actual slices of that pie grow for those most in need.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

lechwall

Post by lechwall »

spryfusion wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:15 am
Sounds somewhat promising process supervision is definitely inherently safer than outcome supervision as obviously you can reach the correct outcome using an incorrect process which will lead to issues if you try that across different domains. I notice they only tried that on known Math problems where it's clear what the outcome should be and what's the best method to get to the answer. I wonder how easy it will be to try and do this for more abstract queries and how easy it is to generalise this approach
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

wjfox wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:09 am
I agree people don't have optimism in the future anymore and that it is somewhat linked to economic factors. Abundance on its own is clearly not enough however no one would consider brave new world a utopia
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

ChatGPT might get integrated into a smartphone for the first time
Published: Jun 12, 2023, 9:45 AM
https://www.phonearena.com/news/ChatGPT ... e_id148105
ChatGPT might get integrated into a smartphone for the first time
OpenAI’s ChatGPT has become quite popular among techies, and if by any chance you haven’t heard of it, here is how ChatGPT describes itself: “I'm ChatGPT, an AI language model designed to provide information and engage in conversations on a wide range of topics.” In other words, it's a chatbot you can talk to, and the conversations are strikingly human-like.

The AI topic has been making headlines, to put it briefly. It has been discussed on talk shows and generated millions of posts on social media platforms. Now, with the possible integration of ChatGPT into a smartphone, it might be on its way to becoming an even more powerful tool.

Chinese smartphone manufacturer Infinix is planning to launch a new phone in India this month. It’s called the Infinix Note 30, and its maker has already shared teasers with some alleged features and specifications. Most interestingly, information shared by tipster Ice Universe on Twitter suggests that the new phone will utilize ChatGPT with its voice assistant Folax.

If this is true and Infinix indeed integrates ChatGPT into its Note 30 series, it would be the first-ever phone to utilize the OpenAI platform. According to Ice Universe, ChatGPT won't be a standalone application, but rather integrated into the phone's operating system. In the tweet, you can find an example of how the voice assistant actually works. Although it may appear a bit generic and unimpressive now, we should reserve judgment until we see how it performs after the launch.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »