OpenAI News & Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: OpenAI News & Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

See also the animation. The complexity of the code that Codex generated from just 1 sentence is mind-blowing!
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Post by raklian »

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:35 pm
See also the animation. The complexity of the code that Codex generated from just 1 sentence is mind-blowing!
I'm trying to understand the implications of this 10 years from now. I wonder what surreptitious discoveries we're going to find from vastly better versions of this code generator. :shock:
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Really cool! Give Codex the ability to move the mouse pointer, and it can click, create boxes, etc. If it could actually see the screen, it could browse the web using the mouse and raw pixels.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

How OpenAI Sold its Soul for $1 Billion

The company behind GPT-3 and Codex isn’t as open as it claims.

6 days ago

The best intentions can be corrupted when money gets in the way.

OpenAI was founded in 2015 as a non-profit company whose primary concern was to ensure that artificial general intelligence (AGI) would be created safely and would benefit all humanity evenly.

“As a non-profit, our aim is to build value for everyone rather than shareholders.” Is it though?

In 2019, OpenAI became a for-profit company called OpenAI LP, controlled by a parent company called OpenAI Inc. The result was a “capped-profit” structure that would limit the return of investment at 100-fold the original sum. If you invested $10 million, at most you’d get $1 billion. Not exactly what I’d call capped.

A few months after the change, Microsoft injected $1 billion. OpenAI’s partnership with Microsoft was sealed on the grounds of allowing the latter to commercialize part of the tech, as we’ve seen happening with GPT-3 and Codex.

OpenAI, one of the most powerful forces leading humanity towards a (supposedly) better future is now subjugated by the money it needs to continue its quest. Can we trust them to keep their promise and maintain the focus of building AI for the betterment of humanity?

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Summarizing Books with Human Feedback
To safely deploy powerful, general-purpose artificial intelligence in the future, we need to ensure that machine learning models act in accordance with human intentions. This challenge has become known as the alignment problem.

A scalable solution to the alignment problem needs to work on tasks where model outputs are difficult or time-consuming for humans to evaluate. To test scalable alignment techniques, we trained a model to summarize entire books, as shown in the following samples.[1] Our model works by first summarizing small sections of a book, then summarizing those summaries into a higher-level summary, and so on.

Our best model is fine-tuned from GPT-3 and generates sensible summaries of entire books, sometimes even matching the average quality of human-written summaries: it achieves a 6/7 rating (similar to the average human-written summary) from humans who have read the book 5% of the time and a 5/7 rating 15% of the time. Our model also achieves state-of-the-art results on the BookSum dataset for book-length summarization. A zero-shot question-answering model can use our model’s summaries to obtain state-of-the-art on the NarrativeQA dataset for book-length question answering.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

OpenAI unveils model that can summarize books of any length
OpenAI has developed an AI model that can summarize books of arbitrary length. A fine-tuned version of the research lab’s GPT-3, the model works by first summarizing small sections of a book and then summarizing those summaries into higher-level summaries, following a paradigm OpenAI calls “recursive task decomposition.”

Summarizing book-length documents could be valuable in the enterprise, particularly for documentation-heavy industries like software development. A survey by SearchYourCloud found that workers take up to eight searches to find the right document, and McKinsey reports that employees spend 1.8 hours every day — 9.3 hours per week, on average — searching and gathering job-related information.

“OpenAI believes that this is an effective ‘recipe’ that can be used to help humans supervise many other tasks,” a spokesperson told VentureBeat via email. “A scalable solution to the alignment problem needs to work on tasks that are difficult or time-consuming for humans to evaluate.”
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Microsoft is giving businesses access to OpenAI’s powerful AI language model GPT-3

Nov 2, 2021

It’s the AI system once deemed too dangerous to release to the public by its creators. Now, Microsoft is making an upgraded version of the program, OpenAI’s autocomplete software GPT-3, available to business customers as part of its suite of Azure cloud tools.

GPT-3 is the best known example of a new generation of AI language models. These systems primarily work as autocomplete tools: feed them a snippet of text, whether an email or a poem, and the AI will do its best to continue what’s been written. Their ability to parse language, however, also allows them to take on other tasks like summarizing documents, analyzing the sentiment of text, and generating ideas for projects and stories — jobs with which Microsoft says its new Azure OpenAI Service will help customers.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/2/2275 ... i-language