OpenAI News & Discussions

Cyber_Rebel

Re: OpenAI News & Discussions

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Xyls wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:13 pm ChatGPT is nothing more than a glorified textbot it is NOT generalized intelligence in any way shape OR form.

All these people going oh the companies are so scared of what they have created... give me a break...

Sure, there may be some novel uses for this stuff. But I'm not worried about being replaced... at this point.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course, but I'd rather defer to the experts:

What he mentions about how A.I. thinks and learns much more efficiently despite having less neural connectivity than a human, almost suggest the way in which we biologically learn, and function is an outdated evolutionary holdover. At least when taking into account our advanced technological civilization which processes so much data at rates in which us humans have issues keeping up. Our hardware as it were, is outdated, and digital intelligences may be more fine-tuned in that regard. Assuming I'm understanding what he says correctly, really fascinating interview with implications for neural science and the immediate gains & dangers of artificial intelligence.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Well I'll admit I haven't played with a gpt-4 until just now. Wow it's gotten much more intelligent.

It still can't answer my philosophy questions well though. It generated a somewhat convincing response to my question about Heidegger's concept of "dasein" (the experience of being as humans experience it,) but wasn't really able to summarize the meaning of the concept properly. To an untrained eye it would have looked correct though because Heidegger is particularly difficult to read even for many human readers. It got caught up on not being able to understand what Heidegger means by "being of being" and repeated itself through two different paragraphs trying to parse it out. "Being of being" just means the "being" that enables (gives) all other forms of being their existence in being. (He does not mean God btw!)

Next I asked some marxism questions about the tendency of the rate of profit to fall. GPT-4 completely flopped and was unable to explain the relationship between automation in capitalism and the rate of profit. Marx's TRPF is simpler to understand than Heidegger in my experience so I was testing to see if something of a different reading comprehension difficulty would be easier for GPT-4 to understand.

It can answer basic questions about seminal texts people are more familiar with like Plato's Republic though. For example if you ask it what Thrasymachus's position was in the socratic dialogs it gives an accurate summery of his position on "might is right" determining what is just. I don't know if it would be able to answer more in depth questions of platonic thought though. I'm not really able to ask them because I myself only have a surface understanding of Plato.

So GPT-4 is not ready to conquer the grand philosophical canon. I wonder if it will be able to answer these questions better when entire philosophy texts are able to fit inside its token limit. Even if it can one day I wonder if it will actually be able to iterate on ideas or just answer questions about existing philosophical concepts? To contrast this though, past GPT models, especially before GPT-3 wouldn't even comprehend my philosophy questions well enough to feign a response that might convince someone.

All said GPT-4 feels more conversational albeit limited by the constant disclaimers openAI programs into its routines. I found myself thanking GPT-4 for its time and reassuring it that it was causing no difficulty to me when it apologized.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

OpenAI is rolling out a game-changing feature to ChatGPT this week that could revolutionize how we use the internet
https://www.businessinsider.com/chatgpt ... net-2023-5
Aaron Mok
May 15, 2023, 11:41 AM PDT
OpenAI's ChatGPT is about to get a whole lot better.
A new web-browsing feature for ChatGPT Plus users that will allow them to access real-time information.
They will also get access more than 70 plug-ins across sites like Expedia and Instacart.

ChatGPT is about to get a whole lot better.

OpenAI, the company behind the AI chatbot, announced it will be rolling out new features to ChatGPT Plus users this week.

Users who pay for ChatGPT Plus, which uses model GPT-4, will have access to a web-browsing feature that will provide up-to-date information.

Web browsing has the potential to be a game changer — particularly in making ChatGPT a promising search engine.

Prior to the update, ChatGPT was limited to what it could answer, as it was only trained on data up until 2021. This made it useless when it came to information about current events and real-time developments.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

AI in your pocket: ChatGPT officially comes to iPhone with new app
App brings popular AI assistant to an official mobile client app for the first time.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... h-new-app/
On Thursday, OpenAI released a free ChatGPT app for iPhone in the US that includes voice input support through its Whisper AI speech recognition model; it can also synchronize chat history with the web version of the AI assistant. The move brings ChatGPT to an official native mobile app for the first time.
Further Reading
OpenAI invites everyone to test ChatGPT, a new AI-powered chatbot—with amusing results

ChatGPT, which launched in November, is an AI language model tuned for conversational input. Since then, it has expanded into a versatile AI assistant that can aid with tasks such as idea generation, compositional help, note summarization, personalized advice on various topics, and formatting or processing of text. It can also potentially serve as an educational resource if you trust the accuracy of its answers, which are sometimes inaccurate (we recommend double-checking anything it tells you).

Like on the ChatGPT website, users must log in to the ChatGPT app with an OpenAI account to use it, and the AI processing takes place off the device on OpenAI's servers, so it requires an Internet connection.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Powers

Post by Powers »

spryfusion