OpenAI News & Discussions

Yuli Ban

OpenAI News & Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

OpenAI's diffusion models beat GANs at what they do best
Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) are a class of deep learning models that learn to produce new (or pseudo-real) data. Their advent in 2014 and refinement thereafter have led to them dominating the image generation domain for the past few years and laying the foundations of a new paradigm – deep fakes. Their ability to mimic training data and produce new samples similar to it has gone more or less unmatched. As such, they hold the state-of-the-art (SOTA) in most image generation tasks today.

Despite these advantages, GANs are notoriously hard to train and are prone to issues like mode collapse and unintelligible training procedures. Moreover, researchers have realized that GANs focus more on fidelity rather than capturing a diverse set of the training data's distribution. As such, researchers have been looking into improving GANs in this domain or eyeing other architectures that would perform better in the same domain.

Two researchers, Prafulla Dhariwal and Alex Nichol from OpenAI, one of the leading AI-research labs, took up the question and looked towards other architectures. In their latest work "Diffusion Models Beat GANs on Image Synthesis", published in the preprint repository arXiv this week, they show that a different deep learning architecture, called diffusion models, addresses the aforementioned shortcomings of GANs. They show that not only are diffusion models better at capturing a greater breadth of the training data's variance compared to GANs, but they also beat the SOTA GANs in image generation tasks.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Re: OpenAI News & Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

OpenAI launches $100M startup fund with Microsoft
OpenAI today launched the OpenAI Startup Fund, a $100 million fund to, in the words of OpenAI, “help AI companies have a profound, positive impact on the world.” The fund is managed by OpenAI, with investment from Microsoft and other partners, and OpenAI says that companies selected for it will get early access to future OpenAI systems, support from OpenAI’s team, and credits on Microsoft Azure.

According to Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI and the former president of Y Combinator, the OpenAI Startup Fund will make “big, early bets” on a relatively small number of companies, likely no more than 10. It’ll look to partner with early-stage startups in fields where AI can have a “transformative” effect — like health care, climate change, and education — and where AI tools can empower people by helping them be more productive, like personal assistance and semantic search.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Improving Language Model Behavior by Training on a Curated Dataset
We’ve found we can improve language model behavior with respect to specific behavioral values by fine-tuning on a curated dataset of <100 examples of those values. We also found that this process becomes more effective as models get larger. While the technique is still nascent, we’re looking for OpenAI API users who would like to try it out and are excited to find ways to use these and other techniques in production use cases.

Language models can output almost any kind of text, in any kind of tone or personality, depending on the user’s input. Our approach aims to give language model operators the tools to narrow this universal set of behaviors to a constrained set of values. While OpenAI provides guardrails and monitoring to ensure that model use-cases are compatible with our Charter, we view selecting the exact set of Charter-compatible values for the model as a choice that our users must face for their specific applications.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

A poll I made the no's have a slight advantage due to polling order.
I think collective intelligence can be an interesting tool.

I made the poll as the most informed accessible people in the area of AGI think GPT-4 is coming soon and I think I made the poll as specifically the reddit user u/gwern expects it this month or the next and Yuli may agree with gwern as he shared gwern saying this in the proto AGI thread.

u/gwern seems to be in that class of the most informed accessible people that when it comes to issues surrounding AGI and the singularity you should definitely follow the person and have a look at the things they say from time to time.

PS whist the poll isn't finished the results aren't really moving.

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

OpenAI Launches GitHub Copilot: AI Focused On Code Generation. Should We Be Worried Now?
What can a $1 billion investment buy?
On Tuesday this week, OpenAI and GitHub answered this question boldly with the preview of a new AI tool — GitHub Copilot. It can write user-compatible code and is much better at the task than its predecessor — GPT-3.
Copilot autocompletes code snippets, suggests new lines of code, and can even write whole functions based on the description provided. According to the GitHub blog, the tool is not just a language-generating algorithm based on user input — it is a virtual pair programmer.
It learns and adapts to the user’s coding habits, analyzes the available codebase, and generates suggestions backed by billions of lines of public code it has been trained on.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

We've heard about a lot of "code-writing AI" over the years, but this is the first truly eye-raising one.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »