Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Re: OpenAI News & Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

ChatGPT Grows in Popularity as Bing and Bard Flatline

https://www.artisana.ai/articles/chatgp ... d-flatline

By Michael Zhang

April 27, 2023

Nearly three months after Microsoft launched its Bing chatbot and Google introduced Bard, OpenAI's ChatGPT remains the undisputed leader in mindshare. Google Trends data reveals that, despite buzzy launch events and deep news coverage, overall search interest in Bing and Bard has stagnated, while ChatGPT's relative interest continues to rise.

From a relative search interest perspective, ChatGPT is 8.3 times more popular than Microsoft Bing and 33 times more popular than Google's Bard.
Google Trends shows that ChatGPT has only grown in popularity as Bing and Bard search interest has flatlined. Screenshot by Artisana.
High Stakes in the AI Arms Race

The stakes could not be higher at this moment. The AI competition between Google and Microsoft is intense, as both companies are heavily invested in integrating AI across their software ecosystems. Microsoft, which invested $10 billion in OpenAI in January on top of a $1 billion investment in 2019, has been using its strategic partnership with OpenAI as a strategic edge, using OpenAI’s sophisticated lead to power its own AI products.

Microsoft released its new Bing chatbot experience to the public in February, garnering largely positive reviews. Built on OpenAI's GPT-4 Large Language Model (LLM), the chatbot earned praise for its sophisticated responses. Kevin Roose, the New York Times' lead technology journalist, simultaneously commended and critiqued Bing, saying it "had replaced Google as my favorite search engine," but also noting that it left him "deeply unsettled, even frightened, by this A.I.'s emergent abilities."
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

OpenAI’s Losses Doubled to $540 Million as It Developed ChatGPT
By Erin Woo

OpenAI’s losses roughly doubled to around $540 million last year as it developed ChatGPT and hired key employees from Google, according to three people with knowledge of the startup’s financials. The previously unreported figure reflects the steep costs of training its machine-learning models during the period before it started selling access to the chatbot.
https://www.theinformation.com/articles ... ed-chatgpt
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

I just want to make some comments.

I think this whole ChatGPT thing is seriously overhyped. This reminds me a lot of the self-driving cars are going to take all the jobs by 2020 we were seeing back in 2012-2014 period. Guess what? Didn't happen.

ChatGPT is nothing more than a glorified textbot it is NOT generalized intelligence in any way shape OR form.

All these people going oh the companies are so scared of what they have created... give me a break...

Sure, there may be some novel uses for this stuff. But I'm not worried about being replaced... at this point.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

raklian wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:41 am Well, that escalated quickly.

She must not be a very good copywriter then lol...
Powers

Post by Powers »

Xyls wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:13 pm I just want to make some comments.

I think this whole ChatGPT thing is seriously overhyped. This reminds me a lot of the self-driving cars are going to take all the jobs by 2020 we were seeing back in 2012-2014 period. Guess what? Didn't happen.

ChatGPT is nothing more than a glorified textbot it is NOT generalized intelligence in any way shape OR form.

All these people going oh the companies are so scared of what they have created... give me a break...

Sure, there may be some novel uses for this stuff. But I'm not worried about being replaced... at this point.
The hype curve will be insane.
wjfox wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:08 pm
I would say that they are taking a weight off their shoulders, at least for their CEOs.