Re: Google AI and DeepMind News and Discussions

Post by spryfusion »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Google plans "next generation series of models" for 2024

Oct 25, 2023

According to Alphabet's CEO, Google's Gemini is just the first of a series of next-generation AI models that Google plans to bring to market in 2024.

With the multimodal Gemini AI model, Google wants to at least catch up with OpenAI's GPT-4. The model is expected to be released later this year. In the recent quarterly earnings call, Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai said that Google is "getting the model ready".

Gemini will be released in different sizes and with different capabilities, and will be used for all internal products immediately, Pichai said. So it is likely that Gemini will replace Google's current PaLM-2 language model. Developers and cloud customers will get access through Vertex AI.

Most importantly, Google is "laying the foundation of what I think of as the next-generation series of models we'll be launching throughout 2024," Pichai said.

"The pace of innovation is extraordinarily impressive to see. We are creating it from the ground-up to be multimodal, highly efficient tool and API integrations and more importantly, laying the platform to enable future innovations as well," Pichai said.

https://the-decoder.com/google-plans-ne ... -for-2024/

DALL-E 3 prompted by THE DECODER
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Google Maps Gets New AI Features to Help You Find Cool Stuff
Maps will soon be able to search images and suggest nearby activities.
By Ryan Whitwam October 27, 2023
https://www.extremetech.com/internet/go ... cool-stuff
Google is preparing a raft of artificial intelligence features in Maps, giving users better search, suggestions, and navigation. Not only will Maps be able to analyze the content of photos in listings, it'll be able to organize search results to direct you to activities and events that are nearby. Google also plans to vastly expand access to some of its most innovative features that have been limited to a handful of cities, but you still might not have access.
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

raklian

Post by raklian »

spryfusion wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:34 pm
Combine AI with a more advanced version of AlphaFold in 10 years and ask "give us the possible mechanisms we can reverse aging."
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

It's about time we got actual working definitions which at least some would agree to. Gives an idea of just how "close" we actually are, as I'm assuming a "competent" AGI is what the term has traditionally meant, IE performing at the level of a median human across many domains. This also fixes the goal post moving some have become accustomed to. Really, it shouldn't even take that long for AGI to scale up the list.

If Google releases Gemini soon, I wonder what they'll place their most capable model at? If it performs no better, or just marginally so than GPT-4, then we know it's just a marketing ploy. If it's actually performing at the next tier, then we have real and not emerging AGI per the paper.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:23 am
Maybe I'm missing something, I don't see GPT-4 and the like of having the generality of an unskilled human ("Emerging").
Maybe there should be another column for partial generality and human level generality.