Google AI and DeepMind News and Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: Google DeepMind News and Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

DeepMind builds an AI that is neither narrow nor general. "Narrowly general" or "multipurpose" might be the right term.
Inspired by progress in large-scale language modeling, we apply a similar approach towards building a
single generalist agent beyond the realm of text outputs. The agent, which we refer to as Gato, works as a
multi-modal, multi-task, multi-embodiment generalist policy. The same network with the same weights
can play Atari, caption images, chat, stack blocks with a real robot arm and much more, deciding based
on its context whether to output text, joint torques, button presses, or other tokens. In this report we
describe the model and the data, and document the current capabilities of Gato.
https://storage.googleapis.com/deepmind ... 0Agent.pdf
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

funkervogt wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:18 pm DeepMind builds an AI that is neither narrow nor general. "Narrowly general" or "multipurpose" might be the right term.
If my term had ever taken off, we'd have "artificial expert intelligence" to describe it. That type of AI in between narrow and general AI.

And yes, this is an astounding step forward towards general AI, though it's not quite AGI itself just yet.

As Károly Zsolnai-Fehér would say, hold onto your papers! We're maybe one or two papers away from proto-AGI. Indeed, my timeline is changing rapidly after these past few months. Before, I thought 2024 was the best year for it to happen. Even after PaLM, Flamingo, and DALL-E 2, I was resolute that it would take that long.

Now with Gato, I see that all we need is scale. If they can scale it up quickly enough, there's zero reason why proto-AGI could not be realized this year.

I'm not saying it will. I thought GPT-4 would have been announced by now, and even Starspawn0 said that something like a primitive AGI could've been possible before the end of 2020 based on existing technology. Things can happen that push things back, so even if it's possible doesn't mean it absolutely will happen.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Have you ever seen anything that is on the surface innocuous but, when you think of the implications, it sends chills down your spine?

DeepMind is hiring for the Scalable Alignment and Alignment Teams
We are hiring for several roles in the Scalable Alignment and Alignment Teams at DeepMind, two of the subteams of DeepMind Technical AGI Safety trying to make artificial general intelligence go well.  In brief,
  • The Alignment Team investigates how to avoid failures of intent alignment, operationalized as a situation in which an AI system knowingly acts against the wishes of its designers.  Alignment is hiring for Research Scientist and Research Engineer positions.
  • The Scalable Alignment Team (SAT) works to make highly capable agents do what humans want, even when it is difficult for humans to know what that is.  This means we want to remove subtle biases, factual errors, or deceptive behaviour even if they would normally go unnoticed by humans, whether due to reasoning failures or biases in humans or due to very capable behaviour by the agents.  SAT is hiring for Research Scientist - Machine LearningResearch Scientist - Cognitive ScienceResearch Engineer, and Software Engineer positions.
We elaborate on the problem breakdown between Alignment and Scalable Alignment next, and discuss details of the various positions.