Reality check on GPT-3 (Gary Marcus)

funkervogt

Reality check on GPT-3 (Gary Marcus)

Post by funkervogt »

We could all stand to watch this and think about it.

Ozzie guy

Re: Reality check on GPT-3 (Gary Marcus)

Post by Ozzie guy »

funkervogt wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:59 pm We could all stand to watch this and think about it.

You could say this is optimists angry at reality or the truth. It seems most people in our communities dislike his conservative views regarding AI development.
Nero

Post by Nero »

The reality is that GPT-3 though impressive when it launched is far from the leader in any real AI model or metric in May 2022. AI models are not progressing at the rate of smart phones they are progressing at much greater pace than that yet to read the more conservative opinions on their progress you'd assume that AI developments were made at timeframes that would be equal to say home video game consoles being released. Things that would require decades of progress in other fields occur within weeks or months in the field of AI development.

Imagine showing Dalle-2's image generation to someone in 2014. Imagine trying to explain what Google Pathways can achieve to someone who had only used Cleverbot before. The gulf is staggering and the rate of progress in 2022 eclipses that of any previous year outright in the history of the entire field of AI development and we aren't even halfway through May.
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

Ozzie guy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:49 am
funkervogt wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:59 pm We could all stand to watch this and think about it.

You could say this is optimists angry at reality or the truth. It seems most people in our communities dislike his conservative views regarding AI development.
"Anyone who disagrees with me just can't handle the truth" isn't a very good mindset. It is possible to be a very harsh critic with the problem being not that you're harshly critical, but that you're overly stubborn and intellectually dishonest. It's possible for someone to have an opinion that's not only very critical, but also not very intelligent or reasonable. It is possible for an optimist to disagree with a pessimist not because they're sticking their head in the sand because they fear reality so much but because they just have a genuine disagreement.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

Dr. Casey wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:17 pm
Ozzie guy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:49 am

"Anyone who disagrees with me just can't handle the truth" isn't a very good mindset. It is possible to be a very harsh critic with the problem being not that you're harshly critical, but that you're overly stubborn and intellectually dishonest. It's possible for someone to have an opinion that's not only very critical, but also not very intelligent or reasonable. It is possible for an optimist to disagree with a pessimist not because they're sticking their head in the sand because they fear reality so much but because they just have a genuine disagreement.
I think I worded my statement poorly I have bad English despite growing up in an English country which is a long story.

I am actually an optimist, I meant to say ether we are angry at the truth or he is wrong and optimists are right. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying optimists are angry at reality and the truth.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »