Microsoft has built an AI-powered autocomplete for code using GPT-3

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Posting this both in the sticky topic as well as its own topic because it seems interesting...

In September 2020, Microsoft purchased an exclusive license to the underlying technology behind GPT-3, an AI language tool built by OpenAI. Now, the Redmond, Washington-based tech giant has announced its first commercial use case for the program: an assistive feature in the company’s PowerApps software that turns natural language into readymade code.

The feature is limited in its scope and can only produce formulas in Microsoft Power Fx, a simple programming language derived from Microsoft Excel formulas that’s used mainly for database queries. But it shows the huge potential for machine learning to help novice programmers by functioning as an autocomplete tool for code.

“WHY DON’T WE ... SPEAK THE LANGUAGE OF A NORMAL HUMAN?”
“There’s massive demand for digital solutions but not enough coders out there. There’s a million-developer shortfall in the US alone,” Charles Lamanna, CVP of Microsoft’s Low Code Application Platform, tells The Verge. “So instead of making the world learn how to code, why don’t we make development environments speak the language of a normal human?”
Ooooh, this is fascinating.

And it's possible that a future GPT-n could code the next iteration!
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Re: Microsoft has built an AI-powered autocomplete for code using GPT-3

Post by raklian »

I'll ask for it to build me a program that will answer my question "What is the meaning of life?" without using 42 as the answer.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.