"We Need to Talk About How Good A.I. Is Getting"

caltrek

Re: "We Need to Talk About How Good A.I. Is Getting"

Post by caltrek »

Carnegie Mellon University's AI-Powered FRIDA Robot Collaborates With Humans to Create Art
February 7, 2023

Introduction:
(EurekaAlert) Carnegie Mellon University's Robotics Institute has a new artist-in-residence.

FRIDA, a robotic arm with a paintbrush taped to it, uses artificial intelligence to collaborate with humans on works of art. Ask FRIDA to paint a picture, and it gets to work putting brush to canvas.

"There's this one painting of a frog ballerina that I think turned out really nicely," said Peter Schaldenbrand, a School of Computer Science Ph.D. student in the Robotics Institute working with FRIDA and exploring AI and creativity. "It is really silly and fun, and I think the surprise of what FRIDA generated based on my input was really fun to see."

FRIDA, named after Frida Kahlo, stands for Framework and Robotics Initiative for Developing Arts. The project is led by Schaldenbrand with RI faculty members Jean Oh and Jim McCann, and has attracted students and researchers across CMU.

Users can direct FRIDA by inputting a text description, submitting other works of art to inspire its style, or uploading a photograph and asking it to paint a representation of it. The team is experimenting with other inputs as well, including audio. They played ABBA's "Dancing Queen" and asked FRIDA to paint it.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/978829
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

How AI Could Take Over Elections – and Undermine Democracy
by Archon Fung and Lawrence Lessing
June 2, 2023

Introduction:
(The Conversation) Could organizations use artificial intelligence language models such as ChatGPT to induce voters to behave in specific ways?

Sen. Josh Hawley asked OpenAI CEO Sam Altman this question in a May 16, 2023, U.S. Senate hearing on artificial intelligence. Altman replied that he was indeed concerned that some people might use language models to manipulate, persuade and engage in one-on-one interactions with voters.

Altman did not elaborate, but he might have had something like this scenario in mind. Imagine that soon, political technologists develop a machine called Clogger – a political campaign in a black box. Clogger relentlessly pursues just one objective: to maximize the chances that its candidate – the campaign that buys the services of Clogger Inc. – prevails in an election.

While platforms like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube use forms of AI to get users to spend more time on their sites, Clogger’s AI would have a different objective: to change people’s voting behavior.

How Clogger would work

As a political scientist and a legal scholar who study the intersection of technology and democracy, we believe that something like Clogger could use automation to dramatically increase the scale and potentially the effectiveness of behavior manipulation and microtargeting techniques that political campaigns have used since the early 2000s. Just as advertisers use your browsing and social media history to individually target commercial and political ads now, Clogger would pay attention to you – and hundreds of millions of other voters – individually.

Read more here: https://theconversation.com/how-ai-cou ... y-206051
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

ChatGPT Shows ‘Impressive’ Accuracy in Clinical Decision Making
August 2, 2023

Introduction:
(Eurekalert) A new study led by investigators from Mass General Brigham has found that ChatGPT was about 72 percent accurate in overall clinical decision making, from coming up with possible diagnoses to making final diagnoses and care management decisions. The large-language model (LLM) artificial intelligence chatbot performed equally well in both primary care and emergency settings across all medical specialties. The research team’s results are published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research.

“Our paper comprehensively assesses decision support via ChatGPT from the very beginning of working with a patient through the entire care scenario, from differential diagnosis all the way through testing, diagnosis, and management,” said corresponding author Marc Succi, MD, associate chair of innovation and commercialization and strategic innovation leader at Mass General Brigham and executive director of the MESH Incubator. “No real benchmarks exists, but we estimate this performance to be at the level of someone who has just graduated from medical school, such as an intern or resident. This tells us that LLMs in general have the potential to be an augmenting tool for the practice of medicine and support clinical decision making with impressive accuracy.”

Changes in artificial intelligence technology are occurring at a fast pace and transforming many industries, including health care. But the capacity of LLMs to assist in the full scope of clinical care has not yet been studied. In this comprehensive, cross-specialty study of how LLMs could be used in clinical advisement and decision making, Succi and his team tested the hypothesis that ChatGPT would be able to work through an entire clinical encounter with a patient and recommend a diagnostic workup, decide the clinical management course, and ultimately make the final diagnosis.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/999029
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Exascale Revolution: Supercomputers Unleash a New Era in Biophysics Discovery
August 22, 2023

Introduction:
(Eurekalert) In a recently published article featured on the cover of the Biophysical Journal, Dr. Rafael Bernardi, assistant professor of biophysics at the Department of Physics at Auburn University, and Dr. Marcelo Melo, a postdoctoral researcher in Dr. Bernardi's group, shed light on the transformative capabilities of the next generation of supercomputers in reshaping the landscape of biophysics.

The researchers at Auburn delve into the harmonious fusion of computational modeling and experimental biophysics, providing a perspective for a future in which discoveries are made with unparalleled precision. Rather than being mere observers, today's biophysicists, with the aid of advanced high-performance computing (HPC), are now trailblazers who can challenge longstanding biological assumptions, illuminate intricate details, and even create new proteins or design novel molecular circuits.

One of the most important aspects discussed on their perspective article is the new ability of computational biophysicists to simulate complex biological processes that range from subatomic process to whole-cell models, with extraordinary detail. As Dr. Bernardi articulates, "The new exascale computers allow computational biophysicists to go beyond what can done experimentally and simulate biological processes with a much higher level of detail. For instance, we can now understand how pathogenic bacteria bind to humans during infection at an atomistic level, generating data for AI models and opening new roads of exploration."

Historically, fields such as physics and chemistry have relied heavily on theoretical models to guide experiments. Today, biology stands at a similar crossroads, with novel software and specialized hardware becoming pivotal in deciphering experimental data and proposing innovative models. The inaugural public exascale supercomputer, Frontier, which was deployed by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in late 2021, coupled with the rapid proliferation of artificial intelligence tools tailored for biophysics, exemplifies the profound strides being made to seamlessly bridge simulation with actual observation.

The momentum gained by computational biophysics signifies a monumental shift. As biophysical research progresses, the seamless integration of experimental and computational efforts is expected to redefine the frontiers of knowledge, laying the groundwork for unprecedented discoveries that could reshape our understanding of the biological world.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/999144
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

caltrek wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:23 pm ChatGPT Shows ‘Impressive’ Accuracy in Clinical Decision Making
August 2, 2023

Introduction:
(Eurekalert) A new study led by investigators from Mass General Brigham has found that ChatGPT was about 72 percent accurate in overall clinical decision making, from coming up with possible diagnoses to making final diagnoses and care management decisions. The large-language model (LLM) artificial intelligence chatbot performed equally well in both primary care and emergency settings across all medical specialties. The research team’s results are published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research.

“Our paper comprehensively assesses decision support via ChatGPT from the very beginning of working with a patient through the entire care scenario, from differential diagnosis all the way through testing, diagnosis, and management,” said corresponding author Marc Succi, MD, associate chair of innovation and commercialization and strategic innovation leader at Mass General Brigham and executive director of the MESH Incubator. “No real benchmarks exists, but we estimate this performance to be at the level of someone who has just graduated from medical school, such as an intern or resident. This tells us that LLMs in general have the potential to be an augmenting tool for the practice of medicine and support clinical decision making with impressive accuracy.”

Changes in artificial intelligence technology are occurring at a fast pace and transforming many industries, including health care. But the capacity of LLMs to assist in the full scope of clinical care has not yet been studied. In this comprehensive, cross-specialty study of how LLMs could be used in clinical advisement and decision making, Succi and his team tested the hypothesis that ChatGPT would be able to work through an entire clinical encounter with a patient and recommend a diagnostic workup, decide the clinical management course, and ultimately make the final diagnosis.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/999029
It isn't nearly good enough because I tried to use it to find news on womb transfers into biological males and it completely fucked up. :( It is kind of inaccurate sometimes. Got my hope up!
Powers

Post by Powers »

weatheriscool wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:44 am It isn't nearly good enough because I tried to use it to find news on womb transfers into biological males and it completely fucked up. :( It is kind of inaccurate sometimes. Got my hope up!
Are you using the free version?
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Powers wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:47 am
weatheriscool wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:44 am It isn't nearly good enough because I tried to use it to find news on womb transfers into biological males and it completely fucked up. :( It is kind of inaccurate sometimes. Got my hope up!
Yes,
Powers

Post by Powers »

weatheriscool wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:50 am
Powers wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:47 am
Yes,
I should use it more by the way.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

The Mind of the Machine
November 1, 2023

Introduction:
(Eurekalert) In a startlingly short time span, artificial intelligence has evolved from an academic undertaking into a practical tool. Visual models like DALL·E can create images in any style an individual might fancy, while large language models (LLMs) like Chat GPT can generate essays, write computer code and suggest travel itineraries. When prompted, they can even correct their own mistakes.

As AI models become ever more sophisticated and ubiquitous, it’s crucial to understand just what these entities are, what they can do and how they think. These models are becoming very similar to humans, and yet they are so very different from us. This unique combination makes AI intriguing to contemplate.

For instance, large AI models are trained on immense amounts of information. But it isn’t clear to what extent they understand this data as a coherent system of knowledge.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/1006652
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

A New Kind of AI Copy Can Fully Replicate Famous People. The Law Is Powerless.
by Mohar Chatterjee
December 30, 2023

Introduction:
(Politico) Martin Seligman, the influential American psychologist, found himself pondering his legacy at a dinner party in San Francisco one late February evening. The guest list was shorter than it used to be: Seligman is 81, and six of his colleagues had died in the early Covid years. His thinking had already left a profound mark on the field of positive psychology, but the closer he came to his own death, the more compelled he felt to help his work survive.

The next morning he received an unexpected email from an old graduate student, Yukun Zhao. His message was as simple as it was astonishing: Zhao’s team had created a “virtual Seligman.”

Zhao wasn’t just bragging. Over two months, by feeding every word Seligman had ever written into cutting-edge AI software, he and his team had built an eerily accurate version of Seligman himself — a talking chatbot whose answers drew deeply from Seligman’s ideas, whose prose sounded like a folksier version of Seligman’s own speech, and whose wisdom anyone could access.

Impressed, Seligman circulated the chatbot to his closest friends and family to check whether the AI actually dispensed advice as well as he did. “I gave it to my wife and she was blown away by it,” Seligman said.

The bot, cheerfully nicknamed “Ask Martin,” had been built by researchers based in Beijing and Wuhan — originally without Seligman’s permission, or even awareness.

Read more here: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine ... 00132682
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill