Rabbi secretly uses ChatGPT to write sermon. No one noticed.

funkervogt

Rabbi secretly uses ChatGPT to write sermon. No one noticed.

Post by funkervogt »

At the end of his sermon, Franklin asks if anyone can guess who wrote it.

Some guess his father, who was a rabbi at Riverdale Temple in the Bronx. Others suggested Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, the spiritual head of the United Synagogue, the largest synagogue body in the United Kingdom.

Franklin then revealed, to gasps from the congregation, that the sermon had been written by A.I. program ChatGPT.

He said his prompt was to write a sermon of around 1,000 words, with the idea of intimacy and vulnerability, and quote Brene Brown.

'You're clapping - but I'm definitely afraid,' he said, to laughter.

'I thought truck drivers were going to go long before the rabbi, in terms of losing our positions to artificial intelligence.'

He said he warned it would wipe out 375 million jobs in a decade.

Franklin said that the text was not in his voice, and contained rhetorical flourishes he did not like - but it was impressive.

He noted, however, that it could not be empathetic, and respond to the crowd.

'It can't love it, can't show compassion, it can't connect with the community,' he said.

'What we're really doing is we're forming relationships. I don't think ChatGPT or any kind of artificial intelligence will replace us, but it will push us.

'It'll force us to evolve in what we do and what we do best.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -York.html

How long until a machine can beat the best human religious scholars in debates over holy texts?

And how long will it be before killer robots know exactly which Bible quotes to utter right before or during battles to scare their human enemies the most?

funkervogt

Re: Rabbi secretly uses ChatGPT to write sermon. No one noticed.

Post by funkervogt »

I disagree with this:
He noted, however, that it could not be empathetic, and respond to the crowd.

'It can't love it, can't show compassion, it can't connect with the community,' he said.

'What we're really doing is we're forming relationships. I don't think ChatGPT or any kind of artificial intelligence will replace us, but it will push us.

'It'll force us to evolve in what we do and what we do best.'
Arguments about humans having a permanent monopoly on "empathy" ring hollow for me, especially given the daily onslaught of reports I see about online harassment, widespread narcissism, bullying, the epidemic of loneliness, rising suicide rates, and rising autism rates. And while ChatGPT doesn't feel empathy or any other emotions, there's no reason to think AGIs won't be able to. Emotions are just another biological process that can be replicated in machines once understood. Even more disquieting to contemplate is the possibility that humans could be better off with empathetic machine companions than they are with other humans.

The rabbi suggests that we will reach a steady state arrangement where humans "do empathy and emotions" while machines do everything else. I think that notion is naive and is appealing to people because it is comforting, but it will not actually come to pass. There are no speed brakes, and there is no reason to assume machines won't be able to fully replace humans.
funkervogt

Re: Rabbi secretly uses ChatGPT to write sermon. No one noticed.

Post by funkervogt »

Here's an apropos interview with Sam Altman:
One of the reasons I think DALL-E surprised people is if you asked five or seven years ago, the kind of ironclad wisdom on AI was that first, it comes for physical labor, truck driving, working in the factory, then this sort of less demanding cognitive labor, then the really demanding cognitive labor like computer programming, and then very last of all or maybe never because maybe it's like some deep human special sauce was creativity. And of course, we can look now and say it really looks like it's going to go exactly the opposite direction.
https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/PTzsEQX ... -ai-safety

Today's ironclad wisdom that machines can't at least convincingly fake empathy will also be upended, maybe in a surprisingly short period of time.