Peter Zeihan is skeptical of AI

funkervogt

Peter Zeihan is skeptical of AI

Post by funkervogt »

Xyls

Re: Peter Zeihan is skeptical of AI

Post by Xyls »

And I agree with him, I think a lot of these AI predictions are overdone at the moment.

We can also see funding for self-driving vehicles one of the big things that was supposed to occur with AI are drying up and some of these startups may disappear.

I think we may see driverless trucks in the future to some degree, but fully autonomous vehicles everywhere in my lifetime? I'm very skeptical.

Hell, I'm not even convinced we are going to make any kind of EV transition in the next 30-40 years.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Xyls wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:42 pm
Hell, I'm not even convinced we are going to make any kind of EV transition in the next 30-40 years.
That's extremely pessimistic – given the consistently high growth trajectory they're on, and the billions being poured into R&D by carmakers.

As for self-driving, the momentum does seem to have fizzled out, but I think it should rebound in a few years after the initial teething problems.
Karl Rock

Post by Karl Rock »

I don't think there is really a shortage of low skilled labor. Actually, there is a glut in low skilled labor jobs. There is a lot of demographic scare right now, kinda like the demographic scare of the 60s and 70s, it's just that now the scare revolves around having too little people. If we don't have enough workers to work on many small retail stores, this stores will be closed down and larger, more efficient stores will replace them. So this is really a non problem.

Now, the dynamic of retirees taking the money out of venture capital may be a thing, but is there any evidence of this happening ?

Also, why did he mention the last five years as an example of stagnation ? The pandemic has led to a sort of tech boom, productivity growth is very high right now.
Last edited by Karl Rock on Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Same was said about meatless burgers and such and then growth stopped. I still don't think EVs are affordable enough, charging is convenient enough, or the issues with cold weather would justify a switch in many markets at this point.

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but I don't see fossil fuels going anywhere any time soon.