Morgan Stanley thinks GPT-5 is already being trained in secret

funkervogt

Morgan Stanley thinks GPT-5 is already being trained in secret

Post by funkervogt »

A screenshot of an internal report is here:

Morgan Stanley thinks GPT-5 has 25,000 GPUs.
Jakob

Re: Morgan Stanley thinks GPT-5 is already been trained in secret

Post by Jakob »

Did I miss something? What happened to GPT-4?
peekpok

Re: Morgan Stanley thinks GPT-5 is already been trained in secret

Post by peekpok »

I am also confused, perhaps that was a typo in the article? I would expect them to be training GPT-4.
Ozzie guy

Re: Morgan Stanley thinks GPT-5 is already being trained in secret

Post by Ozzie guy »

This makes a lot of sense. If they have made GPT-4 yet don't want to release it yet why not start working on GPT-5.
I remember being hyped when I heard DeepMind was working on Gato 2 but I really should have been thinking "No shit, its not like making AI is hobby where they can be burnt out, it's their job. They are basically forced to start working on the next model after the previous one is finished."
peekpok

Post by peekpok »

Hmm.. well I'm sure there is work on a post-GPT-4 architecture that has improvements that can't be integrated into GPT-4 this late into its development. But I don't know what to make of the statement "we think GPT-5 is being run on $200m worth of GPUs." What is their source to even make that claim?

Presumably GPT-5 is still in the stage of doing small scale experiments and evaluating its strengths and weaknesses. I don't even think GPT-4 has maybe had its most expensive training runs yet because if it did then it would probably be "finished" by now.
Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Maybe they're doing fibonacci numbers and the next one will be GPT-8, GPT-13, GPT-21...
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

peekpok

Post by peekpok »

With the surprise release of GPT-4 this week I have to take back what I said. It was also revealed that GPT-4 has existed for quite a while and various industry insiders were playing with it behind the scenes for the past several months. Additionally I've been seeing people say that bing Chat is powered by GPT-4 and not GPT-3.5 as previously thought. If that is all true, then it makes sense that GPT-5 is well into development already.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

OpenAI’s CEO confirms the company isn’t training GPT-5 and ‘won’t for some time’

Apr 14, 2023, 1:28 PM GMT+1

CEO Sam Altman quashed rumors that OpenAI is already developing GPT-5. However, the comments likely won’t be of much consolation to those worried about AI safety.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/14/2368 ... sam-altman